SDC Handmade Blades

So, here are my impressions after about 2 hours of training yesterday.
I didn't know which blade to start with, so I just grabbed one without my glasses on. I am practically blind without them and took the "outer" model.
Just to be clear: I can understand, why Magic_M ordered two of them. :D
I can confirm a lot of what Magic_M has written, some not.
First of all, the wood is "classic" synthetic fibre as expected, i.e. it vibrates little, is quite stiff and has a rather flat throw compared to blades without fiber. I deliberately chose my old Omega V Tour as my fh, as it was too "tedious" on my allwood blade. Many people report that harder rubbers that are optimized for rotation are more suitable for stiff fiber reinforced blades. The combination fits together really well and I had no problems at all to change from my allwood blade combination to the innegra outer.
One thing was also remarkable: It didn't really matter what kind spin was in the ball, actively played strokes "overpowered" almost everything. This also fits to the assessment of Magic_M. Blocking was also very good and what really surprised me was the control in the "short-short" and in the serve receive.
I have also tried very stiff blades like Viscaria, Maze, Zhang Jike Super ZLC or the single layer Hinoki woods from Tibhar. There I always had the feeling that I could simply "overpower" every spin and especially the topspin on underspin was really easy. My problem with such stiff blades was the loss of control in the passive and short game and the feeling of not being able to create enough rotation myself. Well, the feeling could have been wrong, with the Innegra-Outer our number 2 had a lot of problems with my serves. :D
But unlike Magic_M, I did not feel that the Innegra-Outer was more directly than my memory of the Maze. On the contrary, for me it was a bit more "indirect" and had above all much less catapult especially compared to a Zhang Jike and Viscaria. I have the feeling that exactly this "less" helps me with the short-short and therefore the throw does not become criminally flat.
I also deliberately did not reread the measured frequency of the in blade order not to be biased. Sergio measured 1290Hz, which confirms my impressions of the wood in retrospect. A Viscaria and also Maze are more likely to be found in 1400Hz regions and accordingly the Innegra-Outer is less stiff and slower.
All in all, such a wood would be a bestseller under a certain "brand" in my opinion, with appropriate marketing by player sponsoring. (Although the wood might be too slow for professionals)

Edit: Damn, wrong thread... Whatever... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Another experiment I've made during quarantine. I've always liked the Persson Powerplay and that blade uses a layer of foil underneath the top ply. So I also used foil but with a different composition. The Queen seems to like it!

Composition: Framiré / Foil / Framiré / Kiri / Framiré / Foil / Framiré
Weight: 89.8g
Thickness: 5.85mm
Freq.: 1230 Hz
Balance 2.9cm (Low/Med)

75_1.jpg

75_2.jpg

75_3.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
What material is the "foil", looks like quite a thick layer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Trying to push the limits of a 5 ply blade. This is a fast, stiff, but relatively soft blade that retains a good feedback. The handle was just to see if I could do it. I can, but I did mess up that yellow stripe. It will go better next time.

Composition: 5 ply Spruce
Thickness: 7.0 mm
Weight: 96.6 g
Freq.: 1570 Hz
Balance: 3.1 cm (Med)

87_1.jpg

87_2.jpg

87_3.jpg

87_4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A couple of blades I made for a forum member. Based on an OTC but in a asymmetric construction with an harder Ovangkol top ply for pips out rubber. Very similar weight between these, not even a full gram difference.

Composition: Koto / A-C / Ako / Kiri / Ako / Super A-C / Ovangkol
Weight: 86.1g
Thickness: ~5.5mm
Head size: 157x150mm
Handle: ST (oval)
Freq.: 1507/1528 Hz
Balance: 2.8mm (Low)

83_84_1.jpg

83_84_3.jpg

83_84_4.jpg

83_84_5.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of blades I made for a forum member. Based on an OTC but in a asymmetric construction with an harder Ovangkol top ply for pips out rubber. Very similar weight between these, not even a full gram difference.

Composition: Koto / A-C / Ako / Kiri / Ako / Super A-C / Ovangkol
Weight: 86.1g
Thickness: ~5.5mm
Head size: 157x150mm
Handle: ST (oval)
Freq.: 1507/1528 Hz
Balance: 2.8mm (Low)

View attachment 21619

Wow! so hight hardness?
You used pieces with Wenge (heavy) in that handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Wow! so hight hardness?
You used pieces with Wenge (heavy) in that handle?
Yes, Ovangkol is pretty hard, and it has a denser layer of Aramid-Carbon underneath.

The handles is made of wenge with Padauk stripes.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
After testing the Innegra outer blade I made, member Magic_M was so pleased with the result that he commissioned two blades with the same composition!

Composition: Framiré / Innegra-Carbon / Framiré / Kiri / Framiré / Innegra-Carbon / Framiré
Weight: 88.0g and 88.1g
Thickness: ~5.7mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz
Balance: 2.4 cm (Low)

89_90_1.jpg

89_90_2.jpg

89_90_3.jpg

Reactions: lVegita
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
After testing the Innegra outer blade I made, member Magic_M was so pleased with the result that he commissioned two blades with the same composition!
And when I received these beauties and continued the test I immediately ordered number 3 and 4 :)
Same composition and measures, only with a different handle design.

Griffdesign MPS 3:4.jpg