SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
No, this is not a repost, but the classic look will always be popular!

Composition: Black Walnut / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Black Walnut
Weight: 90.4g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.:1440 Hz

81_1.jpg

81_3.jpg

81_4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I was once challenged to build the lightest blade possible. Well, I could just make a one ply balsa blade but that would just be unplayable. However I did try to make a very light blade that would still be good for looping.

Composition: Ayous / Glass-Fiber / Balsa / Balsa / Balsa/ Glass-Fiber / Ayous
Weight: 52.5 g
Thickness: 6.2 mm
Freq.: 1270 Hz
Balance: 2.0 cm (Very Low)

95_1.jpg

95_2.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I'm surprised you could get moderate stiffness at that weight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
A functional blade that light is an amazing achievement. The lightest blades I've (currently) built were 67g each, but even my lightest "solid" (i.e., non-hollowed) pair of handles are 16-17g. What material did you use for the handle to get the overall weight that low?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A functional blade that light is an amazing achievement. The lightest blades I've (currently) built were 67g each, but even my lightest "solid" (i.e., non-hollowed) pair of handles are 16-17g. What material did you use for the handle to get the overall weight that low?

To be honest I'm really not sure. I had some boards of this wood in my garage and I don't even know where they came from. It weighs around 300 kg/m3, so really close to paulownia, but it doesn't seem like it going by the grain pattern. The handles on this one are solid and weigh 16g, the blade itself is really light, only 36g. I could've hollowed the handles and go even lighter, maybe around 48g total, but the feeling would be very bad.

Reactions: Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Hipnotic said:
the classic look will always be popular!
Hipnotic said:

Composition: Black Walnut / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Black Walnut
Weight: 90.4g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.:1440 Hz
Hipnotic said:

You are soooo right. This blade looks really fantastic.
cache.php

Something in me says: BUY IT !!!
Fortunately this is not ST. Otherwise my wallet would be lighter once more.
cache.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

You are soooo right. This blade looks really fantastic.
cache.php

Something in me says: BUY IT !!!
Fortunately this is not ST. Otherwise my wallet would be lighter once more.
cache.php

This one was commissioned so it's not available anyway, I guess this is good for your wallet :)

But you know that it's no problem to make this in ST :cool:

I was once challenged to build the lightest blade possible. Well, I could just make a one ply balsa blade but that would just be unplayable. However I did try to make a very light blade that would still be good for looping.

Composition: Ayous / Glass-Fiber / Balsa / Balsa / Balsa/ Glass-Fiber / Ayous
Weight: 52.5 g :shock:

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This is a blade that will divide opinions, some will love it, some will hate it, but it's hard to stay indifferent.

Here's the backstory: the owner loves Moto GP and he is a big fan of Valentino Rossi. He wanted to make a statement with the handle, something that incorporated yellow, blue and black colors. So I came up with the idea of doing something based on the Sun&Moon, like on Valentino's trademark helmet. He also wanted to honor the Swedish flag, so I incorporated that as well.

In the end, I think Valentino Rossi would be proud of this one :D

Composition: Black Limba / Ayous / Innegra-Carbon / Ayous / Innegra-Carbon / Ayous / Black Limba
Weight: 87.7 g
Thickness: 5.8 mmFreq.: 1230 Hz
Balance: 3.2 cm (Med)

109_1.jpg

109_2.jpg

109_3.jpg

Reactions: Dumper and Sedis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Dare to be different! Totally get the link to Rossi and Sweden. Nice job man.
Not my style though, as I prefer the classic look.

Interesting layers. How is Black Limba compared to regular Limba?
1230 Hz, is this like OFF- kind of speed?

Yeah, I like to think outside the box and cater to all tastes.

Technically Black Limba is the same as Limba, they are the same tree, the change in color is something that happens naturally.

The blade is in the Off- range probably, but the frequency isn't directly related to speed. The frequency is related to the stiffness of the blade. Of course that stiffness plays a part in the power output of the blade, however it's not the only variable. Hardness, weight, thickness, etc, also play their part.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Made this one a while ago. A combination blade for a young defensive player featuring Luxembourg's flag colors on the handle.

Composition: Framiré / Innegra-Carbon / Framiré / Ayous / Ako / Framiré
Weight: 84g
Thickness: 5.5mm
Freq.: 1162 Hz

80_1.jpg

80_2.jpg

80_3.jpg

Reactions: Sedis