SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Once I was asked: "Can you make a carbon fiber handle?". No, I can't, but that gave me the idea of at least incorporating that element in the handle. The composition is also something I wanted to make for some time, an inner ALC blade with Koto outer and WRC core. Soft feeling with the crispiness of Koto that enables a powerful spin play.

Available in my FS thread.

Composition: Koto / Blue Fig / ALC / WRC / ALC / Blue Fig / Koto
Weight: 90.1g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1250 Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

201_1.jpg

201_2.jpg

201_3.jpg

201_4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Commissioned combi blade. I think this is the heaviest I've ever made, but with a balance so low, it felt just like a regular 90g blade. However, the most interesting part was the feeling, the combination of characteristics gave it an incredible elasticity, almost like a slingshot.

Composition: Bamboo / Yellow Pine / Spruce / WRC / Reconstituted Ebony
Weight: 114.1g
Thickness: 6.1mm
Freq.: 1120/1140 Hz
Balance: 1.9cm (Very Low)

189_1.jpg

189_2.jpg

189_3.jpg

189_4.jpg

Reactions: mihalichtheone
Commissioned combi blade. I think this is the heaviest I've ever made, but with a balance so low, it felt just like a regular 90g blade. However, the most interesting part was the feeling, the combination of characteristics gave it an incredible elasticity, almost like a slingshot.

Composition: Bamboo / Yellow Pine / Spruce / WRC / Reconstituted Ebony
Weight: 114.1g
Thickness: 6.1mm
Freq.: 1120/1140 Hz
Balance: 1.9cm (Very Low)
Bamboo as a surface layer, that's interesting have You tried this before and what is the impact?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Bamboo as a surface layer, that's interesting have You tried this before and what is the impact?

I have used it before in the core but never as a top layer. I haven't tested the blade but it felt springy, like an harder spruce. But then again it's hard to pinpoint this to the top layer since everything on this blade was designed to make this side springy, from the spruce core to yellow pine medial.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

I have used it before in the core but never as a top layer. I haven't tested the blade but it felt springy, like an harder spruce. But then again it's hard to pinpoint this to the top layer since everything on this blade was designed to make this side springy, from the spruce core to yellow pine medial.

A hitter's blade, then, probably designed for SP play (with these extremely hard outers)?

A hitter's blade, then, probably designed for SP play (with these extremely hard outers)?

The ebony should be hard but what about the bamboo? "Like a harder spruce", but spruce is soft and bendy, at least the spruce that boat mast are made from.

Hipnotic, was the feeling equal on both sides or was it springier on the bamboo side?

Edit: I see You didn't test it yet.

Cheers"
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The ebony should be hard but what about the bamboo? "Like a harder spruce", but spruce is soft and bendy, at least the spruce that boat mast are made from.

Hipnotic, was the feeling equal on both sides or was it springier on the bamboo side?

Edit: I see You didn't test it yet.

Cheers"
L-zr

It's not real ebony but reconstituted ebony, similar to the one used on the gauzy sl for example. It's still hard and heavy, but not as much as the real thing.

I didn't try the blade nor will I because it was a custom order. But the owner is out there, perhaps he can comment with his impressions.

Yoass, close but not quite, he is a modern defender [emoji846]

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lazer and yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Thanks, What would happen if You replaced WRC / Reconstituted Ebony for Yellow Pine / Bamboo ?
What rating?, what weight?.

Cheers
L-zr

The weight would increase about a couple of grams, not because of the bamboo, which weighs about the same as the "ebony", but because yellow pine is much heavier than WRC. This one came out with ~74g, just for the blade itself without handles, the handles weighed 40g.

Speed would also increase a bit, but this was a relatively fast blade already, despite the low frequency reading. One thing I noticed was that blades with spruce or wrc cores tend to have misleadingly low frequency values.

Reactions: Lazer
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Once I was asked: "Can you make a carbon fiber handle?". No, I can't, but that gave me the idea of at least incorporating that element in the handle. The composition is also something I wanted to make for some time, an inner ALC blade with Koto outer and WRC core. Soft feeling with the crispiness of Koto that enables a powerful spin play.

Composition: Koto / Blue Fig / ALC / WRC / ALC / Blue Fig / Koto
Weight: 90.1g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1250 Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

201_1.jpg

201_2.jpg

201_3.jpg

201_4.jpg

Nothing to be seen in the FS thread, I assume it is sold before you could post it ???

This user has no status.
It's not real ebony but reconstituted ebony, similar to the one used on the gauzy sl for example. It's still hard and heavy, but not as much as the real thing.

I didn't try the blade nor will I because it was a custom order. But the owner is out there, perhaps he can comment with his impressions.

Yoass, close but not quite, he is a modern defender [emoji846]

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

IMG_20210421_155242.jpg

IMG_20210421_155250.jpg

I have been summoned hahah

Well, the blade is of superb quality and its pretty much my go to blade now. First time holding the blade I felt it was a little heavy for my taste, being accustomed to 90g, but when I put the rubbers on, the balance didn't shift a bit so the blade felt like it gained no real weight that would slow down my game.

Initial impression was phenomenal, the blade having a low balance is what I like the most. The handle was modeled after the XIOM IceCream and the feeling is spot on.
The weight is here, like holding a Quarter Pounder, but its not a problem ingame.

Driving is definitely the blades strong suit. It feels crisp and strong. The FH (bamboo) side + Omega 7 Tour gives the blade a strong kick and a medium long trajectory with medium arc.No consistency problems on the FH side since I'm a long distance looper and hitter. I twiddle the racket and the BH side is a little harder for me to control because of the long trajectory, but its managable.

Looping is also great, the blade has enough power to send the ball flying over the net no matter the distance. My kind of loop (alot of arm and body movement going forward) gives the ball a strong kick of the bounce and a medium low arc to the edge of the table. I struggled a bit more with openers on the BH side because of the fast blade and rubber combo but the feeling is nice and consistency is getting better with more play.

Blocking feels solid and controlled. Hard rubber with a relatively hard bamboo outer layer gives it a strong, direct block direct on the table. Punch blocks are also not a problem.

BH side with "ebony" and long pips (Stiga horizontal 20) is controlled and easy to chop away from the table because of the speed of the blade, altough the blade is slower on the BH side, about All+ to Off- speed.

IMG_20210421_155242.jpg

IMG_20210421_155250.jpg

I have been summoned hahah

Well, the blade is of superb quality and its pretty much my go to blade now. First time holding the blade I felt it was a little heavy for my taste, being accustomed to 90g, but when I put the rubbers on, the balance didn't shift a bit so the blade felt like it gained no real weight that would slow down my game.

Initial impression was phenomenal, the blade having a low balance is what I like the most. The handle was modeled after the XIOM IceCream and the feeling is spot on.
The weight is here, like holding a Quarter Pounder, but its not a problem ingame.

Driving is definitely the blades strong suit. It feels crisp and strong. The FH (bamboo) side + Omega 7 Tour gives the blade a strong kick and a medium long trajectory with medium arc.No consistency problems on the FH side since I'm a long distance looper and hitter. I twiddle the racket and the BH side is a little harder for me to control because of the long trajectory, but its managable.

Looping is also great, the blade has enough power to send the ball flying over the net no matter the distance. My kind of loop (alot of arm and body movement going forward) gives the ball a strong kick of the bounce and a medium low arc to the edge of the table. I struggled a bit more with openers on the BH side because of the fast blade and rubber combo but the feeling is nice and consistency is getting better with more play.

Blocking feels solid and controlled. Hard rubber with a relatively hard bamboo outer layer gives it a strong, direct block direct on the table. Punch blocks are also not a problem.

BH side with "ebony" and long pips (Stiga horizontal 20) is controlled and easy to chop away from the table because of the speed of the blade, altough the blade is slower on the BH side, about All+ to Off- speed.

Thanks, how did You come up with bamboo as a surface layer? I think that is very interesting.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
Thanks, how did You come up with bamboo as a surface layer? I think that is very interesting.

Cheers
L-zr

Honestly, the DMs from hipnotic and me went something like, wanna try, yeah why not hahaha
I had no real preference with the materials used in the blade so we practically went Yolo for the FH side.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazer and hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
My tribute to the master! JO Shape, with Yellow Pine medial ply instead of Spruce for more power.

Composition: Limba / Yellow Pine / Ayous / Yellow Pine / Limba
Weight: 88.4g
Thickness: 5.65mm
Freq.: 1270Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

214_0.jpg

214_1.jpg

214_2.jpg

214_3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: P1ngP0ng3r
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Probably something between 1290-1390Hz. But you can easily measure that yourself.

Sorry about me having to have a giggle but your answer made me remember of another thread

which made me download the frequency -meter which then brought me to the question of what

is required to do" the bounce".

Even though I asked , I never got an answer to what the proper bounce to measure frequencies

is supposed to be,

like bounce with what ball

bounce from what height

bounce with what speed

bounce with the blade flat on the table

shoot the ball at the blade while it is held in the hand by the handle

shoot the ball at the blade while blade-handle is held in a vise

So i realized I was just going in a circle or maybe it is a spiral

apologies again

lodro