SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Sorry about me having to have a giggle but your answer made me remember of another thread

which made me download the frequency -meter which then brought me to the question of what

is required to do" the bounce".

Even though I asked , I never got an answer to what the proper bounce to measure frequencies

is supposed to be,

like bounce with what ball

bounce from what height

bounce with what speed

bounce with the blade flat on the table

shoot the ball at the blade while it is held in the hand by the handle

shoot the ball at the blade while blade-handle is held in a vise

So i realized I was just going in a circle or maybe it is a spiral

apologies again

lodro

There is a lot of technical info behind the measuring procedure that I don't want to get in to, but basically what you need to know is: You just need one bounce one the center of the blade. The ball height just needs to be enough to get a clear reading. Ball height won't affect the the peak, any small changes are due to microphone sensitivity. Grip pressure and position will affect the reading because you are changing the damping properties with your hand. What I normally do is to lay the phone on the table and hold the blade near the microphone with my normal playing grip. Then I drop the ball from 30-40cm and get the reading.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

There is a lot of technical info behind the measuring procedure that I don't want to get in to, but basically what you need to know is: You just need one bounce one the center of the blade. The ball height just needs to be enough to get a clear reading. Ball height won't affect the the peak, any small changes are due to microphone sensitivity. Grip pressure and position will affect the reading because you are changing the damping properties with your hand. What I normally do is to lay the phone on the table and hold the blade near the microphone with my normal playing grip. Then I drop the ball from 30-40cm and get the reading.

Thank you very much.

that should do me fine.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A remake of one of my earliest builds for a team mate who wanted a spare. The handle is black walnut with his club colors.

Composition: Black Limba / Limba / ALC / WRC / ALC / Limba / Black Limba
Weight: 92.9g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1270 Hz
Balance: 2.7cm (Low)

188_1.jpg

188_2.jpg

188_3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A remake of one of my earliest builds for a team mate who wanted a spare. The handle is black walnut with his club colors.

Composition: Black Limba / Limba / ALC / WRC / ALC / Limba / Black Limba
Weight: 92.9g

188_1.jpg

188_2.jpg

188_3.jpg

That looks awesome. I love the ply construction, weight, balance. I would use that blade for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

That looks awesome. I love the ply construction, weight, balance. I would use that blade for sure.

This team mate of mine is a very good player, he was even national level when he was younger. He plays very aggressively near the table, but it's funny how sometimes good players are completely clueless about the material they are using. He was told from a young age what to use by his coach, and the coach isn't a particularly savvy guy when it comes to gear neither. He was using a blade that I thought was way to fast for his play style, and when he tried the original version of this blade it immediately clicked. His consistency increased a lot, he started winning points by spinning and controlling the ball, rather than smacking the hell out of it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This team mate of mine is a very good player, he was even national level when he was younger. He plays very aggressively near the table, but it's funny how sometimes good players are completely clueless about the material they are using. He was told from a young age what to use by his coach, and the coach isn't a particularly savvy guy when it comes to gear neither. He was using a blade that I thought was way to fast for his play style, and when he tried the original version of this blade it immediately clicked. His consistency increased a lot, he started winning points by spinning and controlling the ball, rather than smacking the hell out of it.
Yep. That blade would be good for that. And the ALC ply next to the core would give extra kick on bigger impact or further from the table.

That blade is pretty much what I am using, except, I don't have the ALC ply. And what you describe sounds a lot like how I play, except, he is probably playing at a notably higher level than me. :)

Reactions: Nate4s and hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
There seems a lot of brands coming up with Acoustic style blades lately. This is my take on it, Limba top with paired with a thick medial Limba ply that gives a very nice feel.

Available FS.

Composition: Limba / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Limba
Weight: 89.6g
Thickness: 5.80mm
Freq.: 1270Hz
Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

213_1.jpg

213_2.jpg

213_3.jpg

Reactions: Manto76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I got a commission for a blade a few months ago (the red one). The composition is very similar to a M. Maze, but the owner wanted a head shape with wider wings, and a handle closer to a Viscaria. He called it the "Black Lava". The thing is I messed up, so the blade came back for a repair. In that time it got a little sister! The blue one has a inner composition with a slightly enlarged core.

Red
Composition: Black Limba / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ALC / Black Limba
Weight: 86.3g
Thickness: 5.80mm
Freq.: 1335 Hz

Blue
Composition: Limba / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 87.2g
Thickness: 6.05mm
Balance: 3.6cm (Med)

234_186_1.jpg

234_186_2.jpg

234_186_3.jpg

Reactions: MK73 and Manto76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
If you think this blade shares a great resemblance with another blade, whose name describes the natural technical abilities of a player that approaches the game in a cautious but offensive fashion... You ate absolutely right 😄 But that one is also inspired in another blade so I think I'm off the hook.

This was custom blade I made recently, and I just wanted to take the opportunity to say that I do use hide glue. It's not my preferred choice, but I will use it if requested or, such as in this case, the player tells me he wants to have vibrations and feedback. Not all of us like to feel vibrations, but my opinion matters little when the blade is for someone else, so I guess it's a good thing I can cover both scenarios.

Composition: Limba / Limba / Ayous / Limba / Limba
Weight: 88.6g
Freq.: 1205Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

254_1.jpg

254_2.jpg

245_3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Kolev and SamTheMan
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
If you think this blade shares a great resemblance with another blade, whose name describes the natural technical abilities of a player that approaches the game in a cautious but offensive fashion... You ate absolutely right 😄 But that one is also inspired in another blade so I think I'm off the hook.

This was custom blade I made recently, and I just wanted to take the opportunity to say that I do use hide glue. It's not my preferred choice, but I will use it if requested or, such as in this case, the player tells me he wants to have vibrations and feedback. Not all of us like to feel vibrations, but my opinion matters little when the blade is for someone else, so I guess it's a good thing I can cover both scenarios.

Composition: Limba / Limba / Ayous / Limba / Limba
Weight: 88.6g
Freq.: 1205Hz
Balance: 2.8cm (Low)

254_1.jpg

254_2.jpg

245_3.jpg
Drop-dead-georgeous ! ....................and i am intrigued by the "new-style" S-insert. How is it made ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Thanks! The wood on the handle is wenge, there is also a thin stripe of purple heart but I didn't get as much contrast as I was hoping. The logo is nothing fancy, just a piece of engraved wood inserted into the handle. I don't do the engravings myself, but I'm working on a few solutions to allow custom engraved elements that I can embed on the handle.

Reactions: lodro
Thanks! The wood on the handle is wenge, there is also a thin stripe of purple heart but I didn't get as much contrast as I was hoping. The logo is nothing fancy, just a piece of engraved wood inserted into the handle. I don't do the engravings myself, but I'm working on a few solutions to allow custom engraved elements that I can embed on the handle.
Wow, this looks like a blade for me. Weight is perfect, handle looks are perfect and shape looks perfect, and the frequency is in all to all+ range.

I guess the wenge is tinted?
How much weight difference is in the handle?
Approximately ow much heavier would this blade be if You replaced the Limba layers for 2 layers of 1.0mm hinoki and 2 layers of 0.6mm hinoki?

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Nothing is tinted, this is just Wenge wood in all its glory.

For that blade about 65g were for the blade itself without handles, the rest was the weight off the handle. The composition you asked wouldn't be much heavier, probably around 66g, maybe less if I used a less dense Ayous core.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Wow that a pretty looking wood.
Hmm only a gram heavier, the limba layers must be quite thick then.
I guess since Wenge is relatively heavy, so there is weight to save in the handle. Of couse the centre of gravity will move towards the head but that makes the blade a little faster (all good I think)...

Another blade I like is no:213 on Your home page what's the wood in the handle on that one?

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Thanks.

Wow that a pretty looking wood.
Hmm only a gram heavier, the limba layers must be quite thick then.
I guess since Wenge is relatively heavy, so there is weight to save in the handle. Of couse the centre of gravity will move towards the head but that makes the blade a little faster (all good I think)...

Another blade I like is no:213 on Your home page what's the wood in the handle on that one?

Cheers
L-zr

Not that thick, same as the V-, but Limba isn't as light as everyone thinks, it's closer to Koto in weight than Hinoki is to Limba.

Wenge is very heavy, even with the ayous sub layers these handles came out with almost 30g, I had to hollow them a bit.

Not sure which one you mean, the one with the blue handle?