SDC Handmade Blades

I think I will showing the frequency measurement, it just confuses people. Frequency is related to stiffness, and although that is related to speed, it is not the only variable. In this case, this frequency is actually lower than other inner zlc blades I made in the past. Why? Because I used black limba, which is usually softer than regular white limba. The outer ply has a much bigger effect on stiffness than changing the inner plies or the core, because they are further apart. If I used Koto, it would certainly be higher. Here, there won't be a big difference in stiffness whether I use ZLC or SLZC, because those layer are close together. But there will be a big difference in hardness and stability of the blade (aka sweet spot). So, given these factors, I would rate this blade more in the OFF range.
No please don't stop, It gives a ball park value, that's worth a lot.
If You do then You should specify a DEF to OFF+ rating.
(Right now I don't recall if You do on Your home page.)

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Hi Sergio/Hipnotic,

Frequency pls as those numbers makes more sense vs the speed ratings.

For those who went into custom blades or wanted a custom blades, they would get a better understanding from frequencies because that explain the stiffness of the blade via the wood composition and types of fibers used.

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: hipnotic and Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
The owner of this blade was looking for a 5 ply with roughly the same performance as the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, but with a little more flex and speed, and also a handle that would fit his big sized hands. I'm glad to say that we were able to achieve that 🙂

Composition: Black Limba / Yellow Pine / Ayous / Yellow Pine / Black Limba
Weight: 91.3g
Thickness: 5.80mm
Balance: 2.4cm (Low)

208_1.jpg

208_2.jpg

208_3.jpg
I’m the lucky owner of the blade in question. It’s my second time ordering from Sérgio and I’m seeing a risk of this becoming a habit :)

A brief review of the blade and the process before ordering follows:

After playing with ALC-blades for some time (roughly 18 months) I decided to go all-wood as template recommendations suggest. The Tibhar Stratus Powerwood was the blade of choice and altough it woorked for the most part I couldn’t really cope with FH loops vs. backspin (usually my strongest shot). Also the head-heaviness of the TSPW was really pronounced which I didn’t enjoy. Hence I contacted Sérgio.

We had a discussion around composition but to be honest I knew I wanted and trusted the suggestions from Sérgio. What I askes for was a larger handle (but not as monstrously large a my previous order), lower balance and a bit more speed and flex than the TSPW.

The blade arrived and I glued it with D09C FH and Rakza Z BH. It plays just as I wished for it to do. For me I think it is a reasonable compromise between what lets me win some matches and enjoy my game and what benefits my development. I have a bit more speed and lower balance than with the TSPW. My FH opening loops works again and I’m very happy about the handle. The one thing I would change (well it happen sooner or later) is asking for slightly wider wings and bottom part of the blade face. That, however is me developing as a buyer of custom blades.

As has been mentioned about Sérgios work it really is quite amazing.

Custom order. Mizutani ZLC inspired composition with a simple and classic handle look.

Composition: Limba / ZLC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ZLC / Limba
Weight: 88.3g
Thickness: 5.70mm
Freq,: 1442Hz
Balance: 2.3cm (Low)
Frequency is back.
Fantastic many thanks.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The difference a top ply makes. Blue fig is soft, almost as soft as Ayous, so even at 6.15mm this blade is not stiff at all. The feeling is relatively soft, but speed wise it is faster than the frequency reading suggests, probably in the Off- range.

Available FS.

Composition: Blue Fig / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / Blue Fig
Weight: 88.3g
Thickness: 6.15mm
Freq.: 1160Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

219_1.jpg

219_2.jpg

219_3.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Damn Padauk, why you so pretty?

Composition: Limba / Ayous / SZLC / Kiri / SZLC / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 88.6g
Thickness: 5.80mm
Freq.: 1400Hz
Balance: 2.4cm (Low)

209_1.jpg

209_2.jpg

209_3.jpg

Reactions: Manto76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I see some interest in combi blades so here's one I recently made. This one is inner Limba/ALC on one side and outer ZLC/Koto on the other, with an Ayous core. The difference in composition is not big enough to create a massive speed distinction between sides. However, there is definitely a difference in feel, with the Koto side being more direct. Speed wise it is probably in the Off-/Off range.

Available FS.

Composition: Limba / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / Ayous / ZLC / Koto
Weight: 89.6g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1320 Hz
Balance: 3.3cm (Med)

226_0.jpg

226_2.jpg

226_3.jpg

226_4.jpg