SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
My first incursion with Soft Carbon in a classic composition. Nice woody feeling and feedback but with a more stable hitting area. Still a relatively high throw blade that is somewhere in the Off- range. Handle is Indian Rosewood with a Padauk cap.

Available FS.

Composition: Limba / Soft Carbon / Limba / Ayous / Limba / Soft Carbon / Limba
Weight: 88.3g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1250Hz
Balance: 3.0cm (Med)

227_1.jpg

227_2.jpg

227_3.jpg

This user has no status.
Alright guys you are all gonna think me completely bonkers but what about using something like a thin layer of paper instead of carbon? how would that play?
This may have been done, using a carbon fibre as the innermost ply and the having two layers on either side so the composition would be like, for example koto,ayous,carbon,ayous,koto would that play hard or slow would there be much vibration?
Also this is probably the wrong topic but I couldn't find a better one to post this on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Alright guys you are all gonna think me completely bonkers but what about using something like a thin layer of paper instead of carbon? how would that play?
This may have been done, using a carbon fibre as the innermost ply and the having two layers on either side so the composition would be like, for example koto,ayous,carbon,ayous,koto would that play hard or slow would there be much vibration?
Also this is probably the wrong topic but I couldn't find a better one to post this on.

Yes- when you say paper .. your are sort-of, kind-of in the ballpark - CNF (Read Butterfly Revoldia), like paper, is also derived from wood-pulp.. .But, (I think) that's where the similarity between paper and CNF, ends..

Still, I'm curious as to what makes you think a sheet of paper would work ? Why not a sheet of Aluminum foil, or say. some sort of plastic ..

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Yes- when you say paper .. your are sort-of, kind-of in the ballpark - CNF (Read Butterfly Revoldia), like paper, is also derived from wood-pulp.. .But, (I think) that's where the similarity between paper and CNF, ends..

Still, I'm curious as to what makes you think a sheet of paper would work ? Why not a sheet of Aluminum foil, or say. some sort of plastic ..

Aluminium foil has already been used, I'm not sure why I thought paper but it sounded interesting and I meant the normal white wood pulp paper

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Aluminium foil has already been used, I'm not sure why I thought paper but it sounded interesting and I meant the normal white wood pulp paper

There are some blades like that, the Persson Powerplay is one that comes to mind (actually the only one). I tried that myself on a couple of occasions.

In this one I used it just before the top layer, the composition was similar to the Revoldia. Perfectly usable blade, not very fast but a slightly numb feeling if I recall correctly.

75_2.jpg

In this blade I've used it in the center ply. This was one was part of a line of blades for recreation purposes, so I took some liberty with experimentation. I had 3 blades with the same composition, just a different center ply, a hard wood, a soft wood and a paper sheet. Out of the 3, this one was actually my favorite.

148.jpg

This user has no status.
In this blade I've used it in the center ply. This was one was part of a line of blades for recreation purposes, so I took some liberty with experimentation. I had 3 blades with the same composition, just a different center ply, a hard wood, a soft wood and a paper sheet. Out of the 3, this one was actually my favorite.

148.jpg

How did it play?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This one went out to a talented young player. Based on an Innerforce ALC, soft, spinny and perfect for a controlled offensive game.

Composition: Limba / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / ALC / Ayous / Limba
Weight: 86.7g
Thickness: 5.75mm
Freq.: 1270Hz
Balance: 2.9cm (Low/Med)

216_1.jpg

216_2.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
It's been a long time since I've used basalt fiber. This was also the first time I've used Cedar of Lebanon, a nice alternative to Spruce, and with a smell as sweet as Hinoki.

Available FS.

Composition: Cedar of Lebanon / Basalt / Pine / Kiri / Pine / Basalt / Cedar of Lebanon
Weight: 90.0g
Thickness: 5.80mm
Freq.: 1380Hz
Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

242_1.jpg

242_2.jpg

242_3.jpg

242_4.jpg

Reactions: Kolev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Experiment time! I wanted to make something with a Mahogany core for a while, so I came up with this composition. I designed it to be a flexy blade, good for looping from mid distance, so the relatively low frequency reading tells me I'm in the right ballpark. The balance is shifted towards the head to get more momentum in bigger strokes. The 3xAyous medial plies gives it a soft feel and some stability while retaining the flex. The black Poplar top layer is really just for coolness points.

Available FS.

Composition: Poplar / 3xAyous / Mahogany / 3xAyous / Poplar
Weight: 90.0g
Thickness: 6.05mm
Freq.: 1060Hz
Balance: 3.4cm (Med)

228_1.jpg

228_2.jpg

228_3.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A pair of "fake twins" with a composition based on a thicker TB Spark, which is basically the same as saying that they are similar to a thinner Moobeam 🙂

Composition: Limba / Kevlar / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Kevlar / Limba
Weight: 91.7 and 92.0g
Freq.: 1420Hz
Balance: 2.6cm (Low)

224_225_1.jpg

224_225_2.jpg

224_225_3.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
A pair of "fake twins" with a composition based on a thicker TB Spark, which is basically the same as saying that they are similar to a thinner Moobeam 🙂

Composition: Limba / Kevlar / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / Kevlar / Limba
Weight: 91.7 and 92.0g
Freq.: 1420Hz
Balance: 2.6cm (Low)

224_225_1.jpg

224_225_2.jpg

224_225_3.jpg

Those handles are incredible

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
One of the fastest blades I made so far.

Composition: Hinoki / S A-C / Kiri / S A-C / Hinoki
Weight: 88.7g
Thickness: 7.5mm
Freq.: 1916Hz
Balance: 3.3cm (Med)

229_1.jpg

229_2.jpg

229_3.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
One of the fastest blades I made so far.

Composition: Hinoki / S A-C / Kiri / S A-C / Hinoki
Weight: 88.7g
Thickness: 7.5mm
Freq.: 1916Hz
Balance: 3.3cm (Med)

229_1.jpg

229_2.jpg

229_3.jpg

slightly different handle and this is the one for me, the composition is awesome, I think hinoki goes really well on fast blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A hard top ply over a soft medial. Springy and fast, with the added help of the Soft-Carbon layer, which is subtle, but gives some extra stability to the blade. Handle made with Burl Poplar and Bubinga.

Available FS.

Composition: Purple Heart / Spruce / Soft-Carbon / Kiri / Soft-Carbon / Spruce / Purple Heart
Weight: 92.7g
Thickness: 6.0mm
Freq.: 1400Hz
Balance: 3.2cm (Med)

243_1.jpg

243_2.jpg

243_3.jpg

243_4.jpg

Reactions: IB66