SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Compared to my usual straight handle ZJK the blade is slower, softer and more flexible.

Speedwise I would say that it would be somewhere between a Viscaria and i Korbel (which i also very briefly hitted with yesterday). I would guess this mainly is due to the blade being thinner.

The feeling of the blade is different in many aspects although the sweetspot seems to be similar. It is softer upn contact and less "pingy". One might call this not as crisp but it also comes with more dwell which perhaps helped me get a bit more spin on topspin shots. This feels very much like the expected difference between a Koto vs. Limba top ply blade.

For me the handle makes my grip more relaced and my FH/BH transitions much less pronounced and casual wich is exactly what I hoped for. Off course the handle isn't for everyone but for me works very good!

Glad you liked it, tell us how it plays
maybe you can compare with Viscaria

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
This was a very special request. The composition is similar to the M. Maze but with a thinner core and larger head size. But the handle was the biggest I've ever made, in fact it was the biggest handle I've ever seen on a TT blade!

Composition: Black Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Aramid-Carbon / Black Limba
Thickness: 5.55 mm
Weight: 87.3g
Head size: 158x152mm
Handle: 112x31x27mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz

length of the handle 112mm???? must be very uncomfortable

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
A blade I made to test Western Red Cedar as a medial ply. The result is an All+ blade, very spiny and with a great feeling.

Limba / WRC / Glassfiber / WRC / Glassfiber / WRC / Limba - 89g - 5.65mm - 1130 Hz

60_1.jpg

60_2.jpg

60_3.jpg

Limba / WRC / Glassfiber / WRC / Glassfiber / WRC / Limba - 89g - 5.65mm - 1130 Hz
Looks gorgeous!
1130Hz for 5.65mm is quite "low".
My experience with WRC is also that blades made out of this wood tend to be slower. My 5ply WRC is 6mm thick but should be also in the 1150-1200Hz range.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
In this case you are right, the frequency is a good indicator of the speed of the blade. However, that is not always the case, especially with WRC. I've made a few inner fiber WRC blades and they all measured in the 1160 Hz range, but they are fast! Not crazy fast, but similar to an Apolonia ZLC for example, which measures in the 1350 hz range. The thing is, the frequency we measure is related to the 6th mode of vibration, which is the membrane mode, and not entirely related to the speed of the blade. I prefer to look at it as an indicator of softness.

Looks gorgeous!
1130Hz for 5.65mm is quite "low".
My experience with WRC is also that blades made out of this wood tend to be slower. My 5ply WRC is 6mm thick but should be also in the 1150-1200Hz range.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I've been making some experiments with Innegra S fiber. They call it the strongest man made fiber so I was curious about it's performance on TT blades. It feels very different to ALC, I can't wait to try it!

Structure: Limba / Innegra S - Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Innegra S - Carbon / Limba
Weight: 86.2g
Thickness: 5.8mm
Freq.: 1290 Hz

68_1.jpg

68_3.jpg

68_4.jpg

68_5.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
It has been my experience so far, this fiber seems to produce less stiff blades than other fibers.

1290Hz with a thickness of 5.8 and 86g seems to be a little lower than expected.
Just looking at the specs I would have expected something around 100Hz more (?)
Is Innegra therefore a "special" fiber which doesn't make the blade too stiff?

Reactions: Ingo_Ger
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Yes, I buy the Innegra woven with carbon, you need specialized machinery to weave these fibers. For example, Butterfly not only works with a different fiber than other manufactures (Vectran), but it also uses a different weave pattern. I might try the plain Innegra S in the future.

Nice!
Can you order Innegra also directly woven with Carbon or do you have to do it by yourself (if this is even possible...)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Nice blades hipnotic, as always!

Could you please explain a bit about the differences between glass fiber and your others special materials like ALC, basalt fiber? (regarding playing characteristcs and feeling if possible)

Keep up your good work :D

Reactions: Sedis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Nice blades hipnotic, as always!

Could you please explain a bit about the differences between glass fiber and your others special materials like ALC, basalt fiber? (regarding playing characteristcs and feeling if possible)

Keep up your good work :D
Thank you shinshiro!

Well, the mechanical properties of these materials are all very different, but they are designed to be used in much more demanding applications than TT blades. They all feel a little different, but from my experience, the most important factor is the density of the fabric and weave pattern. In terms of performance, I think these factors are all correlated: hardness - stiffness - sweetspot - speed

So, given the same density for all, and from less intrusive fiber to the most intrusive I would grade them as follows:

Glass-Fiber > Basalt Fiber > Aramid > Diolen-Carbon > Innegra-Carbon > Aramid-Carbon > Carbon

It would be very interesting to build similar test blades and just change the fiber to evaluate the differences.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Reactions: shinshiro
So, given the same density for all, and from less intrusive fiber to the most intrusive I would grade them as follows:

Glass-Fiber > Basalt Fiber > Aramid > Diolen-Carbon > Innegra-Carbon > Aramid-Carbon > Carbon
Shouldn't it be < and not >?
One build with only changing the fiber would be really great but also really demanding. The wood and amount of glue have to be as similar as possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
It was meant to be an arrow :D But you are right, < makes ore sense.

The wood and glue would be the easy part, it would be difficult to find the same g/m2 for all these fabrics.

Shouldn't it be < and not >?
One build with only changing the fiber would be really great but also really demanding. The wood and amount of glue have to be as similar as possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This is a blade I've made for a team mate with some interesting characteristics. It's inner fiber on one side and outer fiber on the other, with a larger head size. The fiber used was diolen-carbon. It's sold as blue Kevlar in many places but it's not. Diolen is a polyester fabric with higher impact and tear strength than fiberglass. It actually produces good results, feels similar to Aramid-Carbon but a little softer.

Structure: Limba / Diolen-carbon / Limba / Kiri / Diolen-carbon / Limba / Koto
Weight: 80g
Thickness: 5.6mm
Headsize : 158x152mm
Freq.: 1330 Hz

61-1.jpg

61-2.jpg

61-3 (1).jpg

61-4 (1).jpg

Reactions: Metaxa and Ingo_Ger