Butterfly Tenergy 05 Hard

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I agree with the two comments above but they didn't get to my points. What about t25? It uses spring sponge and feels harder because the pips are larger. Why would a T05H be better or even different?
What about the force or impulse?
If harder is better, then why don't people play with SST pro team?

Everyone talks about dwell time but few really understand what they are saying. No one actually thinks about what the ball is doing when it makes contact with the rubber.

I should have called myself Goldilocks instead of brokenball. I KNOW the dwell time can't be too short or too long. It must be just right. The "trampoline" effect that provides extra spin is due to the rubber restoring itself to the original condition when pushing the ball out from the rubber. If the dwell time is long the rubber will not add much extra speed. Basically the coefficient of restitution drops. Think about it. There is a Goldilocks zone. Some of us prefer a little more less but there is too much or too little. The same can be said for hardness of rubbers, and weight of blades

Reactions: nivekkan
This user has no status.
Exactly. It might be better for pros who can tame it or hit hard with consistency. For me, harder sponge especially on the bh isn't better. I prefer dwell which allows more forgiving shots at my level. Smart move by Butterfly though. Everyone wants access to what they think the pros use.
indeed , basically it has more grip . i do have a photo of the rubber if needed of what i used

Exactly. It might be better for pros who can tame it or hit hard with consistency. For me, harder sponge especially on the bh isn't better. I prefer dwell which allows more forgiving shots at my level. Smart move by Butterfly though. Everyone wants access to what they think the pros use.

Yes, and what you say is an example of a subjective evaluation of a particular property, though its a common feeling for many players.
Mine personal feeling is different - I prefer harder rubbers on both sides and I feel better with harder rubbers even on the BH over the table and near to the net, not only at longer distance and not only with harder hits. Its subjective too, but I'm very fond of O7A, I asume that many players would be happy with T05 Hard the same way, not only because of the "Pro" face.

P.S. - For me its a pitty that many players are lfixed on the Pros' equpment and try to copy it, and not only it, but the particular Pro style. Its not helpful at all, it hinders the personal development and kills the unique features. You can't take the face of ML, try to find your face.

This user has no status.
Yes, and what you say is an example of a subjective evaluation of a particular property, though its a common feeling for many players.
I wonder if it is subjective though.if you could simulate 2 shots exactly the same force and swing angle - one hard, one soft sponge, wouldn't the softer sponge produce more arc and less distance? Wouldn't that lead to more forgiving shots if your placement wasn't perfect?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I wonder if it is subjective though.if you could simulate 2 shots exactly the same force and swing angle - one hard, one soft sponge, wouldn't the softer sponge produce more arc and less distance? Wouldn't that lead to more forgiving shots if your placement wasn't perfect?

My humble experience says that different things happen while playing differently with different equipment. It's complicated, there's no real-world ceteris paribus and you're not a robot hitting identical robot-fed balls identically regardless of weight, balance, tactile feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ioiettino

The arc and distance depend not only on the sponge hardness, but on the rubber topsheet hardness and thickness too, its a system and thats why I said there is a great difference between an objective evaluation of particular properties of an element and a subjective personal feeling about a system.
Generally the softer rubber systems /sponge+rubber combined/ produce lower arc and longer distance.
Its very well visible with the different Tenergys - T05, 80 and 64 have one and the same sponge, but T05 is with the hardest rubber topsheet and produces highest arc and shorter distance. The Fx versions have softer sponge and produce lower arc that their originals.
So your subjective feeling is exactly the opposite to the BTY original intention.

You may read more about the different aspects here, and watch the video too:

https://en.butterflymag.com/2015/06/all-about-tenergy-22/

Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
they should name the tenergy 05 hard - tenergy 05 only for pros, i have a fairly high level of play, but even with the normal tenergy 05 i had problems with the spinsensivity, the tenergy 80 is perfect for me, i think you could play with the tenergy 80 on a very high level and the tenergy 05 is for semi pros, 95 percent of players would be good with the tenergy 80 and than with the tenergy 05, a rock hard tenergy 05 hard is not needed, when you want something who is hard but not rock hard try the tibhar mxs a super rubber but with a low catapult.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
they should name the tenergy 05 hard - tenergy 05 only for pros, i have a fairly high level of play, but even with the normal tenergy 05 i had problems with the spinsensivity, the tenergy 80 is perfect for me, i think you could play with the tenergy 80 on a very high level and the tenergy 05 is for semi pros, 95 percent of players would be good with the tenergy 80 and than with the tenergy 05, a rock hard tenergy 05 hard is not needed, when you want something who is hard but not rock hard try the tibhar mxs a super rubber but with a low catapult.

I was more comfortable with T05 than T80 by far, even though I liked T80 for some aspects of the game — the short game and acive blocks, mainly. However, counters, drives and loops didn't work for me at all with T80, especially brush loops. And since I'm an old fart, I'm playing totally outdated patterns in which you first open up the rally using a spinny, slowish brush loop and then finish the point.

says Aging is a killer
The release date for Tenergy 05 Hard is November 1st. Anyone pre ordered it? Not sure whether to still to my usual setup or give it a try.
It's going to be very popular so I'm sure that you will be able to test a teammate's sample.

Reactions: lugi2000
says Aging is a killer
T05H 1st impressions

After 20minute session, Bat = TBS ALC with T05H/T05R.

Overall T05H has a high throw with a similar feel to H8 good for those deep, high topspin loops. Excellent at blocking and good on serve receive Timo-style. Great for those who can’t quite get to grips with T05R and can’t figure out which is the best Hurricane to buy. There are no ambiguities with T05H.
Butterfly has struck gold again. My order is in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
After 20minute session, Bat = TBS ALC with T05H/T05R.

Overall T05H has a high throw with a similar feel to H8 good for those deep, high topspin loops. Excellent at blocking and good on serve receive Timo-style. Great for those who can’t quite get to grips with T05R and can’t figure out which is the best Hurricane to buy. There are no ambiguities with T05H.
Butterfly has struck gold again. My order is in.

How hard does it feel in comparison to Hurricane 3?