Balsa blade

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
I don't know any commercial models as the ones I tried felt really 'balsa-ish'. But your description fits the blades I make very good. I started making light blades to find a solution for a friend who also has tennis elbow. It really helps when the blade is only 60-70g. I started playing with them myself because they play very similar to blades I was used to (persson powerplay, osp virtuoso, andro temper tech off-) but they weigh 20g less :).

Balsa-blades can be tricky to find the right one. Good luck with your search!

Reactions: Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
If you've seen some of MDP's work, you know you'd be getting a quality, handmade product from someone who is specifically trying to build blades for the exact thing you're looking for: lightweight and doesn't play like a "stereotypical" balsa blade. I don't know his costs off the top of my head, but all of the blades he's sold on these forums have been very affordable, in my opinion.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Try to find a light blade with a kiri core instead of balsa. For example Cornilleau Aero blades. Or Mr. Vodák from the Czech Republic (http://www.vodak-dreva.cz) produces high quality all-wood blades with kiri center ply with weight between 70-80g. He can also make blades according to the customer's requirements.
Or blades with kiri core and carbon - BTY Photino Light, Yinhe Bogen (both discontinued)

I was also looking for a light blade (70-80g) and I tried several blades with balsa-carbon composition - Yinhe T11 +, TSP 6.5, Tibhar Balsa off 60. They all had a balsa feeling with a higher catapult. I do not like this. The only blade, that I really liked and did not have a big catapult and has great control, was the Sanwei Feather Carbon. My piece weighs 67g and definitely stay with me :)

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
komann.wixsite.com/komann take a look of this website, I think the sale is still on, 50% off from orginal product of Komann. Komann is not well known but the quality is very very good, balsa golden tiger is one of the best. Many forma Chinese champion now are coaches re command this Komann blade.

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
I don't know any commercial models as the ones I tried felt really 'balsa-ish'. But your description fits the blades I make very good. I started making light blades to find a solution for a friend who also has tennis elbow. It really helps when the blade is only 60-70g. I started playing with them myself because they play very similar to blades I was used to (persson powerplay, osp virtuoso, andro temper tech off-) but they weigh 20g less :).

Balsa-blades can be tricky to find the right one. Good luck with your search!
+1
try MDP's blades, they are amazing, you will not regret

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I'm recovering from a tennis elbow and want to try a lighter setup also to prevent future injuries.

I also had some problems with my elbows. At the moment I'm ok, but never know... what are you doing for your recovery?

A lot of players talk about using light setups when having tennis elbow problems. Was wondering if that helps, cause IMHO 20 grams is not that of a big deal to cause you a trauma. But I may be wrong..

P.S. I like and play with light(ish) myself, but not because of my elbow problems, but if it helps, that's a double win :)

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
I also had some problems with my elbows. At the moment I'm ok, but never know... what are you doing for your recovery?

A lot of players talk about using light setups when having tennis elbow problems. Was wondering if that helps, cause IMHO 20 grams is not that of a big deal to cause you a trauma. But I may be wrong..

P.S. I like and play with light(ish) myself, but not because of my elbow problems, but if it helps, that's a double win :)
I don't have tennis elbow myself but a friend who tests a lot of my blades does. He is constantly searching for ways to make blades lighter. So lighter setups will surely help. I'm allso just a fan of light setups and the lightness of my setup helps alot for my wrist as I use it a lot for backhand topspins and flicks. With a lighter setup I'm able to train longer and notice less soreness in my wrist or the muscles used for backhand topspinning. I think the balance of a blade also has some effect, but this is harder to explain.

How much effect a lighter blade will have on a specific person, I can't predict, but I'm sure it won't do more harm!