New ITTF rule??

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi people,

I just got back from a 2 day team tournament. As it was an amateur tourney, I was only allowed to play doubles and I can only partner an amateur. There were 4 groups, A, B, C(my group) and D. Winning the group C, we were set to meet say A2. For example C1 vs A2, C2 vs A1 and so forth.

But to my surprised, we were balloted for the QF, in which we ended up meeting C2..again!!! Though we won, we were again balloted for the SF!! I didn't argue much since it was an amateur event since I didn't want to stress myself out.

But get this guys, the organizer said to my team captain that it is the new ITTF rule where there must be a balloting exercise for the QF and SF. Is this true or the organizer was living in Lala land?? Anyone??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I had to look at the whole tournament draw before I can confirm what I'm talking about right now.

But I remember in some tournament, especially in United States, we have something call loser bracket. So, basically who lose in the first two round will go into loser bracket and fight again. Then the winner over there will eventually play against the player in winner bracket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
That's not what he's talking about Dici. Most ITTF tournaments are either Round Robin or Single Elimination. The thing azlan is referring to is that after the different round robins have played the crossovers start by taking the top 1 or 2 teams to play for the QF, SF, and then Finals. What he's asking is whether a new rule has been implemented by the ITTF that follows a random ballot system (or random draw with teams written on paper then placed in a hat to draw from).

From everything I've read on the ITTF website there's no news about a new ballot system. And I've read ITTF regulations again so no he is not correct. He may have read something somewhere and just misinterpreted what it meant. The ITTF regulations specifically state that the highest seeds will not meet before the closing matches. Byes are to be distributed evenly over the first round. And draws are to be as fair as possible with the first round until 16s have been qualified.

Mar 2011
Thanx Richard. I was not very please about the organizer's decision one bit. Because it will seem that it's all down to luck. In the end, it won't be the best 2 teams meeting in the final, which is not the spectators would like to see.

Thanx guys for the help. I really appreciate it. Btw Yosua, ballot is when to decide the QF, 8 straws are drawn and it's all down to luck who meets who. And 4 straws are drawn for the SF. And Dici, I think you were describing the best loser format. But thanx again for spending a bit of your time to answer my question. :D