Need help on choosing right blade for new rubber. Also open to suggestions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I'm currently looking into completely updating my blade and rubber.

I have recently been playing Donic epox off- both sides with Yasaka Pryde 40. I must say I love the combination and the rubber. However though, the tackiness is wearing off and I have been playing with a couple of my friends Tenergy. I love the way it feels and the spin it generates.

Right now I'm thinking about getting Tenergy 05 fx on both sides. Problem is now, I don't know what blade to put it on. I have been looking on Butterfly's website and trying to find the right combination. I was thinking Timo Boll W7 but I honestly don't have any idea what blade to put this rubber on. My limit on the blade is less than $140.

My style of play is close to the table looping. And I've been told 05 will be the right rubber for me.

Hopefully you guys can help.

Thank you!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Should I get 1.9mm or 2.1 sponge?

Hey Zachkinjo

Firstly welcome to the forum :) Hope you are enjoying the site.

Well I use Tenergy 05 on both sides which many players and my friends are using. I use the Timo Boll Spirit which Gonzalospain mentioned :). Its a fantastic blade which has amazing feel and you can get good spin on the ball. Its great for short game and excellent for services. I hope this helps.

Heres me playing with the set up...

Other players using the same set up I can think of on the top of my head are:

Marcos Madrid in green

Darius Knight

Paul Drinkhall in black

Quite a lot of players are using this combination. I hope what you choose, you enjoy and it suits your game :)

Good Luck

Reactions: Suga D
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I have a question for you, zachkinjo , how long have you played for and what level are you currently at?

It is no point in buying fancy equipment if you can not play with it. I have experienced that myself :p

The racket I'm currently using suits my level perfect, and it's the same as the best norwegian player ever, Tom Johansen, uses. He actually did beat J-O Waldner 3 times ;)

but engough bragging, haha. Asking on forums and stuff is good, zachkinjo, but its best to let the other forumers know your level and stuff :)

and good luck finding a new bat!

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I have a question for you, zachkinjo , how long have you played for and what level are you currently at?

It is no point in buying fancy equipment if you can not play with it. I have experienced that myself :p

The racket I'm currently using suits my level perfect, and it's the same as the best norwegian player ever, Tom Johansen, uses. He actually did beat J-O Waldner 3 times ;)

but engough bragging, haha. Asking on forums and stuff is good, zachkinjo, but its best to let the other forumers know your level and stuff :)

Excellent point Anders :).. Completely forgot to ask level of play.

Also try out your friends bats, rubbers before you finally decide whats best for you. I found out what i prefer by trying different friends bats.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
nice, did you break the top 50? :) Im 76 junior in Norway now, but recently I beat a player ranked amongst the top 40 here.. So expecting to climb a lot before the season ends, if I don't start to play really bad though :D

Hehe awesome dude. What is the level of play like in Norway? Nah :( reached 51 in 2009 and then got injured and had to stop.

Yeah trick is not to lose to anyone below you and to maintain your level and get wins above you. And then you will fly up those ranks buddy. But focus on your playing standard and bringing your best to the table. Dont worry to much on rankings :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Yeah, trying not to care.. But it's always fun to watch myself rank up :)

Too bad you didn't break it, get well soon to do so ;)

The level of play in Norway is not that good... I think the overall level in Norway is kinda similar to Britain/England, only with less players. But the top of the top in England is way better, I think, than the best Norwegians.. I believe, from what I've seen in your vid, that I'd might win a game against you, but you would have beaten me kinda easily in a full match (if you get what I mean, just making an example) :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yeah, trying not to care.. But it's always fun to watch myself rank up :)

Too bad you didn't break it, get well soon to do so ;)

The level of play in Norway is not that good... I think the overall level in Norway is kinda similar to Britain/England, only with less players. But the top of the top in England is way better, I think, than the best Norwegians.. I believe, from what I've seen in your vid, that I'd might win a game against you, but you would have beaten me kinda easily in a full match (if you get what I mean, just making an example) :)

Hehe yeah I know what you mean :)

Well good luck in your 2012 season... please post how you get on and keep up to date with me :) Send in a video or two every now and then to us.

Yeah a lot of Englands funding focuses just on the higher elite as there is only enough funding for a few players. I think this is the same for quite a few countries... Not the best system in the World lol

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Hehe yeah I know what you mean :)

Well good luck in your 2012 season... please post how you get on and keep up to date with me :) Send in a video or two every now and then to us.

Yeah a lot of Englands funding focuses just on the higher elite as there is only enough funding for a few players. I think this is the same for quite a few countries... Not the best system in the World lol

I'll try to get hold of a camera, then I will definitly send you some clips of me playing matches and doing exercises and stuff if you want me to :)

Thank you very much Dan, and get well soon from your injury! :)

Feel free to PM me through facebook if you want to ;)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I'll try to get hold of a camera, then I will definitly send you some clips of me playing matches and doing exercises and stuff if you want me to :)

Thank you very much Dan, and get well soon from your injury! :)

Feel free to PM me through facebook if you want to ;)

Awsome! Yeah that would be great Anders!

And thank you I will do :)

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I'm currently looking into completely updating my blade and rubber.

I have recently been playing Donic epox off- both sides with Yasaka Pryde 40. I must say I love the combination and the rubber. However though, the tackiness is wearing off and I have been playing with a couple of my friends Tenergy. I love the way it feels and the spin it generates.

Right now I'm thinking about getting Tenergy 05 fx on both sides. Problem is now, I don't know what blade to put it on. I have been looking on Butterfly's website and trying to find the right combination. I was thinking Timo Boll W7 but I honestly don't have any idea what blade to put this rubber on. My limit on the blade is less than $140.

My style of play is close to the table looping. And I've been told 05 will be the right rubber for me.

Hopefully you guys can help.

Thank you!

Zachkinjo, for you, I think the best is to chose a good allround+/offensive- blade with good touch and just put on some faster rubbers. Depending on your level and personal preferance they should be either soft or medium/medium+

Not all the pros play with hard rubbers, for example I had a chat with Peter Nilsson, Jörgen Perssons former coach. He said that Jörgen is still using his Sonex JP Gold rubbers on both sides ;)

Do as Dan said, play with your friends bats, and then go for a combination you liked. Make sure to choose the one that suits you the most already, so you wont have to spend much time getting used to it :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Z, if you are keen on getting T05 on both sides of ANY blade, you have a LOT of money in your TT budget. You will get a month or two out of T05 before it becomes any ole rubber. Knowing that if you play every day, you will go through a lot of sheets and T05 isn't exactly bargain priced.

So... the cost of your blade shouldn't be such a big deal, neither should exactly which blade as there are hundreds of them you can pair with T05 and learn how to make it work just fine.

Since I am an operator of the Timo Boll Spirit, I would say get one, slap on Ur Tenergeys and go at it. I use only one sheet of T05 (on FH) and can make most any rubber work on BH, so I go with a very inexpensive Chinese rubber that performs much like Sriver (Dawei XP 2008 SP)

Go with 2.1 if you really want to load the spin on loops and 1.9 if you like to loop drive more than spin the ball.

Go with the blade that you are comfortable with and brings the must destruction to your opponets, not just your wallet or paypal account.

Even with a rediculous fast blade, one can learn and use that setup at a decently high amature level. Some players make div 2 after 2 years traiing only 3x a week for 20 minutes with coach. This happens all the time here in Korea: Newbie gets excited about the game after a visit to the club where he defeats players (who let him win to get to want to become a member) (Sly & Sneaky, eh?), newbie goes online and orders the best of the best of the fastest/powerful, then brings it to the club for coach to assemble, then becomes a full time member with a $500 USD wardrobe of top of the line TT uniforms. Yeah at first he misses a ton of shots, but you could give him any ole ALL+ blade with Sriver and he will still miss the same shots. The coaches here have a system to teach the game right and build the basics, then later how to apply them.

Have Ur fun Z and tell us all about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Sorry for the late replies and such, I've been under the weather lately and busy with ping pong of course haha.

But I'm a 1500-1600 level player now. Last time I was rated it was about a year ago and I was a 1300, and I've improved alot since then.
And past tournaments I've been in including NCTTA and unsanctioned I've done well. I play for Valdosta State.

But anyways back to the rubber and blade. I've tried out my friends Tenergy 05 and such, and I fell in love with the feel and how much more my game opened up to loops and strong spin.

I may be thinking that maybe it's just my rubber is getting old and losing it's grip (it's over 5months old and I play usually more than 2 hours a day)
But I really just want to get this rubber and blade, which I'm going for blade wise is the timo boll W7 blade which is only $100 and I'm getting all of this for my birthday so I guess you can say I'm just fortunate right now.

I've just been getting mixed feelings about the 2.1mm or 1.9mm but I'm just going to go for broke and get the 2.1 and if I don't like it, then when it comes for time for change I may try for 1.9. but hopefully I won't need to do that.

And Dan

That video was amazing, you're such a good player! I'll definitely be sure to try some of those out.

When my rubber and blade comes in I'll be sure to tell everyone about it

and Thank you all for your help!
I really appreciate it and I really like this website.
It gives me a lot of help and answers a bunch of questions that I always have and now I know where to go for when I have something boggling my mind.