Change of stroke with the 40+ ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Hey,

I just watched this video recently:
Which is about changing your topspin stroke for the 40+ ball. The chinese top coach talks about changing the snap from "inward, to more outward". But I do not get it, anyone care to explain? Probably pointing the elbow more forward, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
What I take from that is that with the 40+ ball your need to drive the ball forwards more so that the blade finishes more in front of your rather than higher up near your forehead. The game is less about brushing the ball these days and more about driving it with speed. Of course we're still talking about plenty of spin on the ball...but not as much spin as with the smaller balls (and celluloid balls).

Reactions: whocarez
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Can anyone expand on the concept contacting the fingers when contacting the ball? Does this mean you tighten the grip on contact? Do you do this for other strokes like the serve?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Can anyone expand on the concept contacting the fingers when contacting the ball? Does this mean you tighten the grip on contact? Do you do this for other strokes like the serve?

Yes for me you're suppose to tighten the grip slightly before contact. I find it helps to accelerate at contact. Also I think it's just the index and thumb (that pinch your bat) and not your whole hand that you're suppose to tighten

One video that talk about the fingers but not so about the tightening thing : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thqzpeiz2Xo&t=181s

Edit : For serve I don't do it personally, I've heard that it can be a good idea and i tried a little bit, it seems to make sense but it's not something i try to do in general. Personally it's just for BH and FH loop, and chop. Maybe it can be good idea for push, never thought about it before. And for drive, i don't think it applies. But in general i have to say I don't always do it because i still find it difficult to do

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I elaborated on that in the comment section of the Youtube page.

Think of saluting, where you snap your forearm toward your head. That's what Li Sun means by snapping inward. That's a common description used to teach the forehand stroke. That's considered old school nowadays. He's telling the kid to break that habit.
Make your swing and forearm snap such that your elbow points more toward the front than the ground. Compare the kid's elbow at 1:35 with the one at 1:37. Check out Li Sun's elbow at 3:45 as he goes from snapping inward to more outward.