How to play with a bad feeling player

This user has no status.
Those types of players generate little to no spin, so it requires extra effort to generate spin of your own. I usually focus doing a big and exagerated body/hip rotation to make sure that the ball compresses into the sponge and generates spin. (And I usually have time for that because their balls are slower).

But that's not the only solution. If you have good touch/feeling then you can use that to your advantage too.

The slower pace on the ball can be tricky though. You just have to wait for the bounce and follow the pace of the ball closely. It's easy to get used to a certain rhythm and timing when you play with decent topspin players 99% of the time.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Those types of players generate little to no spin, so it requires extra effort to generate spin of your own.

Yes, in general, these players should generate less spin, but (there is always but) I know a player who generates a lot fo spin only from his wristh on FH. So basically he does not do full hand upward rotation from the shoulder, he just rotates his wrist. It looks weird, but the ball spins heavily with a nice curve

The author should clarify a little bit about which "bad feelin" players he is talking about. Cause IMHO I don't think he is talking about slow players with no spin who produce slow balls. It should be really hard to struggle playing against such players, because you basically se what he is doing, you know that nothing is going with a ball and you have plenty of time to react and prepare for an incoming ball...

I think you can struggle with "bad players" only when they are either producing fast balls, either spinny balls, either both, but using unusual technique (strokes, footwork) so you can't predict from his unusuall technique and preparation to strike the ball what he is going to do in the end and what ball that stroke is going to produce. So after he strikes the ball you are not prepared (because you did not know for what to prepare) and because of that you have too little time to react to a fast moving ball or unconsciously process the spin (because he spinned the ball with unfamiliar stroke) and adapt your footwork and return stroke for respin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Yes, in general, these players should generate less spin, but (there is always but) I know a player who generates a lot fo spin only from his wristh on FH. So basically he does not do full hand upward rotation from the shoulder, he just rotates his wrist. It looks weird, but the ball spins heavily with a nice curve

The author should clarify a little bit about which "bad feelin" players he is talking about. Cause IMHO I don't think he is talking about slow players with no spin who produce slow balls. It should be really hard to struggle playing against such players, because you basically se what he is doing, you know that nothing is going with a ball and you have plenty of time to react and prepare for an incoming ball...

I think you can struggle with "bad players" only when they are either producing fast balls, either spinny balls, either both, but using unusual technique (strokes, footwork) so you can't predict from his unusuall technique and preparation to strike the ball what he is going to do in the end and what ball that stroke is going to produce. So after he strikes the ball you are not prepared (because you did not know for what to prepare) and because of that you have too little time to react to a fast moving ball or unconsciously process the spin (because he spinned the ball with unfamiliar stroke) and adapt your footwork and return stroke for respin.

The author follows a pattern of starting a thread with a very vague question and then never posting in it again. I doubt he even cares about the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pgpg and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Actually I have passed hard times with a new guys which is newbie, his setup is a Korbel with 2 blue storm z1, by himself he can't produce much spin but the rubbers help him a lot, the past week we played and I won 3-2 but their fasts long almost dead serve to the backhand got me surprised and was hard to return the weird service, as I am used to return back, side, topspin services, but dead balls are as my kryptonite :(, when I tried to return as BH push the ball didn't pass over the net, and when a tried to BH loop I've got a better return, he was a tennis player so his strokes are most like a tennis than a table tennis, I other hand there are a classmate which always plays long fast dead balls, he's known as the ripballs because he broke a lot of balls and keep doing ~.~, it's very hard return their smashes, how can I handle those shots/services? I mean I know it's about technique, stance and timing, but a little more specific.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Actually I have passed hard times with a new guys which is newbie, his setup is a Korbel with 2 blue storm z1, by himself he can't produce much spin but the rubbers help him a lot, the past week we played and I won 3-2 but their fasts long almost dead serve to the backhand got me surprised and was hard to return the weird service, as I am used to return back, side, topspin services, but dead balls are as my kryptonite :(, when I tried to return as BH push the ball didn't pass over the net, and when a tried to BH loop I've got a better return, he was a tennis player so his strokes are most like a tennis than a table tennis, I other hand there are a classmate which always plays long fast dead balls, he's known as the ripballs because he broke a lot of balls and keep doing ~.~, it's very hard return their smashes, how can I handle those shots/services? I mean I know it's about technique, stance and timing, but a little more specific.

I practice vs a partner who has one of his FH serves pretty darn fast, dead and towards my BH. So it's exactly what you're talking about. Now I play penhold with inverted & long pips so on my backhand I can choose how I want to return the ball either with inverted or long pips but for the sake of this discussion I'll talk about my thoughts when using inverted.

Common wisdom would say to loop any ball that is long & off the table. However, as an intermediate player (we all are here), don't bang your head against the wall if you try that and it just keeps going long off the table one after another. If you're practicing with him, sure try it. But if you're in a match and you keep missing it, you need a safe return. Don't just give him the point off one serve. At least make him work for it. He's not a pro either. So trust me every now & then he will miss some 3rd balls. That point swing can easily be the difference in a match.

I'm a bit proponent of giving a variety of spins & looks to your opponent in service receive. I think you need to learn to chop a long dead serve & keep it low. Sounds like that's not something that's currently a strength of yours. That's okay. It can be done. Just work on your chop game a little. Chop it low & towards whatever side is not his strong attacking side. probably BH. Or his crossover point. You'll find it's a nice safe option to get that tricky serve back. I find it uncanny just how often players at my club like topspin play but hate or struggle vs backspin. Some of them are simply not fit enough to loop. That being the case, in some situations where you could topspin a ball back, in reality you're just giving them what they like and you'd be better off chopping or pushing daring them to try to loop it.

Okay so lets say you can now relatively safely chop this serve. Sooner or later he will dial in looping a chopped ball on his 3rd hit and you don't want that. If you're anything like me, you've sent long dead fast serves long off the table too many times in your life when attacking those. I am getting better at this thanks to my training partner but I try to focus on not absolutely killing the ball with speed. Make a solid, medium strength, topspin shot back to good spot on the table. Also because I found I was hitting it just long, it's really as simple for me to focus on hitting on top of the ball. Think about it. it has little spin. So you have to generate all the spin on your own. That comes from hitting on top of the ball brushing it. IMO if you hit the back of the ball, it will go long. FYI I play Chinese rubbers. Just hit on top of the ball, spin it up, make sure you get it over the net (if you had been hitting it long like I had that's probably not a concern) and don't hit it a million miles per hour. Give that ball some time to drop on the table.

Then mix between the two service returns. Have a safe option you can get back in 90% of the time no problem. Then also have a more daring attack option just to keep them honest.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
What works for me is to jump back one step quickly and do a forehand topspin on those balls. Due to the high energy in those balls, your topspin is going to be very fast already, and all you need to do is to brush it correctly. Another alternative is to try to return it flat into the body of your opponent. Third option is to properly chop on it, and return a long heavy backspin ball to his weak point. I used to have a lot of problems with this, but since my footwork has improved I'm having less and less trouble with this. I just need to remind myself to do a positive stroke on it and not just stand there and block.

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
True. I'm pretty sure that's why they do long fast serves anyway. I was playing against a guy last night that ONLY served long and fast, and the variation was only in placement. I might have returned 3 or 4 balls like a dead guy and I got bullets in return. For the rest, even chopping (properly, with a long stroke) was way more effective. My new season's moto in competition games is "don't play like a zombie". :D

preach it. For people who like to smash, the just block it back is almost sure death.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I had a revenge match vs someone who I beat me I last played years ago. The theme was he kept serving me long and fast to my BH and in my arrogance I thought "he can't give me that". And I missed a lot of Bh loops.

Fast forward years later. I know I'm better now but I remembered his style. Yep. Same thing. This guy is a classic case of someone who likes topspin and really doesn't like backspin. His serves were long fast with heavy side/top.

I attacked maybe 20% of them just to keep him honest but I chopped those side/top balls and with the aid of his serve along with my chop, those were so heavy. A lot of loops & pushes into the net. I was more than happy to get into a push game with him as I saw that as the easiest way for points even though I'm an attacking player. It was a pretty convincing 3-0 victory this time around.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I had a revenge match vs someone who I beat me I last played years ago. The theme was he kept serving me long and fast to my BH and in my arrogance I thought "he can't give me that". And I missed a lot of Bh loops.

Fast forward years later. I know I'm better now but I remembered his style. Yep. Same thing. This guy is a classic case of someone who likes topspin and really doesn't like backspin. His serves were long fast with heavy side/top.

I attacked maybe 20% of them just to keep him honest but I chopped those side/top balls and with the aid of his serve along with my chop, those were so heavy. A lot of loops & pushes into the net. I was more than happy to get into a push game with him as I saw that as the easiest way for points even though I'm an attacking player. It was a pretty convincing 3-0 victory this time around.

Seems like some experiences are universal. People who consider pushing game inferior do it to their own demise. A wise man once said "before a great topspin comes an even greater push (with placement and a lot of backspin)".

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is a fact that there are many very awkward playing players in amateur TT. It is a fact that unless one is a very advanced or elite amateur, one can struggle or lose vs such a play whose overall level is lower than your own, but be consistent enough to keep it on the table with a ball you do not understand the spin or depth or timing.

Take heart, play the maximum number of styles and players you possibly can, embrace pips players and the "Walking Dead" players with decades old rubbers who still have a fire to play... hang out, teach, coach, challenge, do comps...

Eventually, as you get more experience and a better level, you will see the kind of ball better, then be ready to cope with them a lot more successfully.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
It just feels so much more convincing from somebody who has been there done that and is still doing it !! nice post Der_Echte .. cannot agree with you more ... there is no bad play, there is no weird style, there is no junk rubber , its not a dark art if you understand what going on .. fear of the unknown is the reason for most negativity ... forget it just play, make the most of it and try to put one more ball on the table .. remember at the most basic level, in table tennis the person who puts one more ball on the table wins ! Some times we just lose track of the essentials ...
It is a fact that there are many very awkward playing players in amateur TT. It is a fact that unless one is a very advanced or elite amateur, one can struggle or lose vs such a play whose overall level is lower than your own, but be consistent enough to keep it on the table with a ball you do not understand the spin or depth or timing.

Take heart, play the maximum number of styles and players you possibly can, embrace pips players and the "Walking Dead" players with decades old rubbers who still have a fire to play... hang out, teach, coach, challenge, do comps...

Eventually, as you get more experience and a better level, you will see the kind of ball better, then be ready to cope with them a lot more successfully.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
ttmonster-smash said:
It just feels so much more convincing from somebody who has been there done that and is still doing it !! nice post Der_Echte .. cannot agree with you more ... there is no bad play, there is no weird style, there is no junk rubber , its not a dark art if you understand what going on .. fear of the unknown is the reason for most negativity ... forget it just play, make the most of it and try to put one more ball on the table .. remember at the most basic level, in table tennis the person who puts one more ball on the table wins ! Some times we just lose track of the essentials ...

I agree overall. There are a couple ways to look at it. Your view, which all styles are a part of TT nothing is weird, it is all open. Looking at it in my view, there are "weird" styles and "junk" rubber. If one plays mostly modern offensive style, then a gal or dude who bumps the ball with a 25 yr old glazed over and rutted rubber will have a weird style and give "junk" balls... that is what someone from that perspective would see and feel.

We are in agreement on what to do - screw those who want to ban o eliminate it.

"Non-Standard" equipment, tactics, shots, or decision making are part of our sport. If one wants to be able to function in battle vs this stuff, one has to learn, plan, adapt, overcome, and win.

For the "Walking Dead" player I describe... that kind of player plays a mostly un-athletic game (literally walks like a dead zombie to the ball if they move at all) stays parked near middle of table, sticks out the bat (FH or BH dead glazed irregular rubber) and bumps back the ball off the bounce low and deep (or short enough). (sometimes high enough to entice a strong attack while you mis-read the ball) That player depends on errors from the opponent for outright points. Sometimes, they rely on a pop-up or a slightly high ball, which they plan and see, which they step around open FH position ready to smash. It is often successful as their bang impact overcomes the dead of their rubber and they hit a straight shot line drive winner.

Many offensive players are not accustomed to a lazy looking player just bumping the ball back - offensive player is out of sync on his or her instincts. That is issue number one. Next is the spin - or lack of it (and placement). Depending on the impact, the "Walking Dead" player can kill the spin (mostly what they do) reflect it back to give underspin, or add to it to give under or top back, depending on what came to them. Often, this player plays off the bounce, uses angles, wide placement, short placement (or shorter than it looks) or deep placement at body just fast enough to keep it low and deep and safe. Understanding the kinds of shots for each given ball and their basic tactics is the next step.

Now we see the basic shots and tactics, plus their way of thinking and reacting to different situations... we can assess what we do and work with what we got to make a plan to win vs this. A part of the plan is to be safe and create opportunities to use offense, or their failed offense to win points. A part of it is to not play "too safe" and mis-read a ball to give them an easy point. These players are patient and opportunistic. Understanding the opponent and feeds them is important.

Some things we can do in general are to keep it low, keep it real deep, keep it low and tight (the most difficult to do) for the first return if the incoming ball is short (or real deep, a low return is possible) You do that right and the opponent doesn't have an easy ball to attack, so they bump it back. You know what you put on the ball, you know you put it deep and fast enough, you know opponent is gunna bump it and not much time to change stuff. PERFECT. Opponent is gunna give you a long and slower ball (so he or she can be safe) You are ready... and depending on the ball, can spin it really heavy right at them or away... or smash or loop-kill it if it is high enough.

You can also try to push low and away, then bump it right back to where they were to run them around. If you can read their ball, you can do this. If you mis-read the ball or are not in position, you will miss, hit the net, or pop it up. BAD on you if you do that.

If you try to play "Too Safe" and push more than one ball, you increase your chance of mis-reading a ball and putting it in the net or out. "Walking Dead" player giggles as he or she picks up the ball and the TV goes to commercial break. Even worse, you mis-read it, and pop it up. Opponent sees it, takes a step around and forward, then smashes the ball of your noggin. The giggle from opponent is equally loud and you are demoralized. That is what that player does. Don't feed the troll.

Understand your risks and work with them, be aggressive safe and know your odds. The more you bump it back to them in a rally, the more chance "Walking Dead" is gunna walk to the scoreboard and increase the number on their side.... while they giggle and annoy you to insanity.

Give the walking dead what they hate... HEAVY spin. It is easy to setup. Just be sure you understand that you give one underspin light, then be ready to loop heavy, BH or FH. Know opponent is gunna try to pressure you. Just bend knees and be ready. Later, when you hit a few heavy loops in a row and show the "Walking Dead" they cannot handle you... then they will start to take more risks with their pressure shots... usually it will result in lost points for them. They are 2-3 levels lower player, so that should be natural. Later, they see this doesn't work and go back to "safe", but you are ready to spin them out of the gym. They see this too and give up. That is what you do to opponents when you are 2-3 levels higher level player.

Still, if the lower rated "Walking Dead" player sees you be indecisive or inconsistent, then they will step on your throat over and over and make you wanna give up. If you went down that road, you deserve what you got. It is called "Using leverage" and a shrewd player lower level than a higher player has to use every inch of leverage they got.

That is how I dealt with the dead rubber player in my singles in the team finals and sent dude "walking" back to the team bench. Unfortunately, our doubles team up 9-6 in the last game of the deciding doubles match vs players both 3 levels higher rated... eventually they tightened up under pressure and the better opponents played loose and won 12-10... just like a better and more experienced team should do.

Reactions: perham
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Now what if the "Walking Dead" player is around your level ???!!!???

Well, you really gotta make your shots count or you are gunna be on the wrong side of a fight. If that player is equal or close enough in level to you, chances are his/her pressure shots with the dead rubber will be quality enough to trouble you or entice you into asymmetrical warfare with odds on their side. Your own attacks, no matter how well setup do not have the same effectiveness/consistency. Still, if you are consistent/patient enough,. you can do it. Be a brave risk manager.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Now what if the "Walking Dead" player is around your level ???!!!???

Well, you really gotta make your shots count or you are gunna be on the wrong side of a fight. If that player is equal or close enough in level to you, chances are his/her pressure shots with the dead rubber will be quality enough to trouble you or entice you into asymmetrical warfare with odds on their side. Your own attacks, no matter how well setup do not have the same effectiveness/consistency. Still, if you are consistent/patient enough,. you can do it. Be a brave risk manager.

I used to have big problems with these guys, but now I can defeat them quite easily. I noticed one thing though: you never need 100% power against them. Actually, a series of pushes with the correct placement can lead to an easy ball that you can either smash, or do a 70% topspin which is guarantied to be on the table, and yet usually gets the point for you. Most of the times against pimple or antitop players being patient is the key. Specially because they're often really good at blocking fast balls, but not very good at keeping spinny balls low over the net.

One other thing that always needs to be taken care of is against walking dead smashers where you need to play low trajectory balls no matter how long they go. Often placement and height is more important than spin and speed in those cases. It needs a bit of practice, but once you know their weakness, they have no answer to your game due to their lack of versatility.

Oh, and side spin works wonders in taking them away from the table when used with correct placement.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
perham, you have had success against you local troublemaking Walking Dead crowd. You made adjustments and used your tactical intelligence to find a way or make a way. That is the stuff of champions.

That tactic you described will absolutely not work vs either of the Walking Dead Dynamic Duo ttmonster and I faced at the recent California Team Tourney. You stated you used a SERIES of pushes. That is like 2, 3, or 4 pushes.

Their dead rubber still has sponge, so if they grip it right and accelerate, they can make spin on their push. If they firm up or allow ball to leave the bat before they accelerate, then their push is deader than a doornail... or close enough for Dr. Quincy to pronounce the ball dead. I am assuming you would not tell the difference of their deal ball and ball with underspin. With either of that duo, even a TTR 1800 might have problems seeing it clearly. Their rubbers are so old and inconsistent worn, only they know where and how to hit with it... they used the same rubber 10 full years before Helmut Kohl was finished running Germany.

You do that push and expect an underspin back and give you next (maybe it is your final push to setup or the one or two before...) and you are popping that puppy up. At a minimum, you hit it a couple cm over net height. Either of these guys are real good at stepping around and blasting away... all they need is an inch and they take a mile.

You try to adjust and they see you successfully adjust, then they pull a second generation Terminator on you and adjust to giving you medium underspin on that second ball to get you to push it into the net...

The tactic you describe can only work if you correctly read the ball... which is damned difficult for even an advanced player... that is why ITTF has equipment rules about a rubber being consistent worn during umpire/referee inspection. That is why ITTF came up with the 2 color rule that makes red and black standard colors so a player couldn't confuse you with and anti or slick LP when you think they hit it with the inverted side...

That is why I advocated an attack first with HEAVY spin. You can get away a little bit with the height if it is placed right, but you won't get away with that twice by the next ball, they will be ready. You push their serve at them fast as you can be safe or wide a way or anyhow low... you will get a push back... often a dead one. A HEAVY slow high arcing loop is safe and sure. They have a hard time timing and attacking it... they make errors on counter or block. You add a point to the score. You serve (heavy under at first, then vary to mostly dead and still vary pace and depth) , then spin up the return... blast away if it is high.

Being able to consistently do that will put them into emergency mode to go all out.. which makes your task easier.

pgpg could tell you stories of a similar guy in Boston with C-Pen and old SP or MP who mostly soft blocks at table rarely attacks... you make all the errors... and he plays TTR 1700 level (USATT 2000 when he needs to)

Sure, there are several kind of dead... and you killed the dead in your area, a job a warrior must do well and you did it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
This post reminded me of Jarmusch's Ghost Dog. If you haven't seen it, see it.

I still haven't defeated all of the walking dead. Some are still lurking around. I often complain about clearly illegal serves and illegal equipment, yet to no avail. At my level, no one gives a damn. Some of these walking dead players are also very rude. They often show unsportsmanlike attributes, and in one instance, one of them even refused to shake hands after he lost. It's not easy to get rid of them though. They persist through thick and thin and are not afraid of the living.

perham, you have had success against you local troublemaking Walking Dead crowd. You made adjustments and used your tactical intelligence to find a way or make a way. That is the stuff of champions.

That tactic you described will absolutely not work vs either of the Walking Dead Dynamic Duo ttmonster and I faced at the recent California Team Tourney. You stated you used a SERIES of pushes. That is like 2, 3, or 4 pushes.

Their dead rubber still has sponge, so if they grip it right and accelerate, they can make spin on their push. If they firm up or allow ball to leave the bat before they accelerate, then their push is deader than a doornail... or close enough for Dr. Quincy to pronounce the ball dead. I am assuming you would not tell the difference of their deal ball and ball with underspin. With either of that duo, even a TTR 1800 might have problems seeing it clearly. Their rubbers are so old and inconsistent worn, only they know where and how to hit with it... they used the same rubber 10 full years before Helmut Kohl was finished running Germany.

You do that push and expect an underspin back and give you next (maybe it is your final push to setup or the one or two before...) and you are popping that puppy up. At a minimum, you hit it a couple cm over net height. Either of these guys are real good at stepping around and blasting away... all they need is an inch and they take a mile.

You try to adjust and they see you successfully adjust, then they pull a second generation Terminator on you and adjust to giving you medium underspin on that second ball to get you to push it into the net...

The tactic you describe can only work if you correctly read the ball... which is damned difficult for even an advanced player... that is why ITTF has equipment rules about a rubber being consistent worn during umpire/referee inspection. That is why ITTF came up with the 2 color rule that makes red and black standard colors so a player couldn't confuse you with and anti or slick LP when you think they hit it with the inverted side...

That is why I advocated an attack first with HEAVY spin. You can get away a little bit with the height if it is placed right, but you won't get away with that twice by the next ball, they will be ready. You push their serve at them fast as you can be safe or wide a way or anyhow low... you will get a push back... often a dead one. A HEAVY slow high arcing loop is safe and sure. They have a hard time timing and attacking it... they make errors on counter or block. You add a point to the score. You serve (heavy under at first, then vary to mostly dead and still vary pace and depth) , then spin up the return... blast away if it is high.

Being able to consistently do that will put them into emergency mode to go all out.. which makes your task easier.

pgpg could tell you stories of a similar guy in Boston with C-Pen and old SP or MP who mostly soft blocks at table rarely attacks... you make all the errors... and he plays TTR 1700 level (USATT 2000 when he needs to)

Sure, there are several kind of dead... and you killed the dead in your area, a job a warrior must do well and you did it.

Reactions: Simas and Der_Echte