Crack near handle, how to fix?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
If I apply some pressure the crack will "open" but just a little bit.

ZZ2ppVn.jpg

Fv2w8bu.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
1. Drill a thin hole on both sides of the handle, towards the middle of the head of the blade
2. Spray the glue with a syringe into the holes
3. Press a thin bamboo-stick into the holes

As a result the bamboo-stick will press the glue deep into the crack(s).
The excess residue of the glue will be pressed out of the holes

4. Wait 24 hours (or longer) until the glue is dried completely.

When the complete repair is finished, the blade will be stable again.
The feeling (due to the bamboo-sticks) will be a bit stiffer (less flexy).

Sorry for my bad english. I hope, you (nevertheless) understand what I mean

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
After repair you can test the quality of the blade by taking the blade part between tumb and middlefinger and knocking the handle on your head. It should be a clear woody tone. Any "buzzing" or distortion indicates a crack or loose plies/handleparts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I would just use very thin CA glue to stabilize the crack. Also, if you rotate the crack to the BH side (crack on the same side of the index finger) it would help reduce the stress in that area.

Reactions: Flatstyk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Yes.

This kind of crack along the fibres would go all through the core, so I think its impossible and useless to repair.
Even if you fix the visible end of the crack, you won't be able to fix it in depth and the crack will continue to grow inside.

I don't think the crack goes too deep but you could be right.

I would just use very thin CA glue to stabilize the crack. Also, if you rotate the crack to the BH side (crack on the same side of the index finger) it would help reduce the stress in that area.

Most likely what I'm gonna do, but the crack is very thin so I think it would be hard to make the glue seep in the crack.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018

Most likely what I'm gonna do, but the crack is very thin so I think it would be hard to make the glue seep in the crack.

You can try TekBond 721, a very thin CA glue.
I would not try to apply it direct from the bottle though, use a syringe or a needle.
Make sure to clamp it with a C-clamp right after gluing, to keep the crack tight (not TOO tight, just in place).

The low viscosity wood glue suggested by Tinykin would be better than CA glue I guess, but I think we can not find it here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reirom