• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Results 181 to 200 of 239
    1. Top | #181
      ttmonster is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike, Long 5
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 8, DHS Hurricane 3 Provinicial, Karis H
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution MX-P , Xiom Omega Pro IV, Karis M

      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      3,446
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,096 Times in 2,063 Posts
      Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Kanak , his attitude , his perseverance and his love for the game. I have watched him grow in the last 6-7 years in the bay area and at some point he used to train on the next table ( 2-3 years back ) ... in fact a couple of months back he was training in the next table and it was a spectacle to watch his power and speed . We got chatting a little bit when he was doing his cool down exercises and he even complimented me on one particular point with my opponent where I got a spinny trickle on my far forehand back with an impromptu chop .. it was one of my happiest moments.. kudos to him and his parents .. he is still the same humble , soft spoken kid with limitless love for the game !! .. so don't count him out yet .. I saw some rude comments around him an decided to ignore them because most people like to play macho on the internet without any idea on how much work, sweat and tears these players put in behind the scenes ...

      There should be no doubt around his mental toughness , for people who have not followed his matches, he has remarkable grit and stamina to turn the tables on the opponent .. if you have doubts check out his finals from Olympic qualification against Canada and the Nationals a couple of years back .. you will know what he is capable of mentally ...

      Now, when you are somebody's supporter you want him to grow and become better .. and I have the same feeling . What I saw was that Kanak was going for blocks , and punches on the backhand for the entire game. I want to see him loop on the backhand more, somehow I feel he is seeing the ball a little late on the backhand and is taking it more on the left shoulder than the middle , I am sure his coaches would be working on this or I may be completely wrong on my assessment , what do we know of International Level Table tennis ? I just felt that if his idol is who he says, that is Chuang Chi-Yuan he should try to take a leaf out of his book and start playing more backhand close to the table loops. These juniors are only going to get stronger and in future he will have trouble if he cannot initiate attacks from the backhand more ..

      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      Kanak was ranked #2, and has competed well against his peers on the junior circuit. People who focus think the ranking is biased underrated him but I never once doubted that his seeding was deserved. In the end, matchups matter and seeding based on performance reflects that.
      Last edited by ttmonster; 10-11-2018 at 08:50 PM.
      Lets go Spinny Looping !

    2. The Following 5 Users Like ttmonster's Post:

      Gladxu (10-12-2018),Ioiettino (10-12-2018),NextLevel (10-11-2018),Richie (10-11-2018),Suga D (10-11-2018)

    3. Top | #182
      NextLevel is online now
      says I came to spin and breathe,
      and I am all out of air...
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade BBC Hinoki Ghost
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega V Asia
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega V Asia

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      6,461
      Reviews
      Read 15 Reviews
      Liked 10,568 Times in 4,569 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by ttmonster View Post
      Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Kanak , his attitude , his perseverance and his love for the game. I have watched him grow in the last 6-7 years in the bay area and at some point he used to train on the next table ( 2-3 years back ) ... in fact a couple of months back he was training in the next table and it was a spectacle to watch his power and speed . We got chatting a little bit when he was doing his cool down exercises and he even complimented me on one particular point with my opponent where I got a spinny trickle on my far forehand back with an impromptu chop .. it was one of my happiest moments.. kudos to him and his parents .. he is still the same humble , soft spoken kid with limitless love for the game !! .. so don't count him out yet .. I saw some rude comments around him an decided to ignore them because most people like to play macho on the internet without any idea on how much work, sweat and tears these players put in behind the scenes ...

      There should be no doubt around his mental toughness , for people who have not followed his matches, he has remarkable grit and stamina to turn the tables on the opponent .. if you have doubts check out his finals from Olympic qualification against Canada and the Nationals a couple of years back .. you will know what he is capable of mentally ...

      Now, when you are somebody's supporter you want him to grow and become better .. and I have the same feeling . What I saw was that Kanak was going for blocks , and punches on the backhand for the entire game. I want to see him loop on the backhand more, somehow I feel he is seeing the ball a little late on the backhand and is taking it more on the left shoulder than the middle , I am sure his coaches would be working on this or I may be completely wrong on my assessment , what do we know of International Level Table tennis ? I just felt that if his idol is who he says, that is Chuang Chi-Yuan he should try to take a leaf out of his book and start playing more backhand close to the table loops. These juniors are only going to get stronger and in future he will have trouble if he cannot initiate attacks from the backhand more ..
      Kanak, out of all the players, had the best ranking on the junior tour based on activity on the junior tour. So he had the most relevant ranking if you looked at how juniors played vs juniors. The other players got their rankings more from their past WJTTC performances and their rankings on the senior tours.

      My point is not to say that Kanak is the best player out of all the players. It is that sometimes, people should stop imagining what a good player looks like and have some faith in the fact that how you performed vs your peers will reflect how you will perform vs your peers at the junior level.

      In a senior level tournament, Kanak would not have had the Same seeding and it would have been accurate for THAT tournament.

      Kanak's strength is his touch and ball control. His weakness is his raw power. Unless he gets stronger that will be more exploitable as he gets more senior in the Same way as for CCY, who gets exploited in the same way. But at the current level, his play is adequate and I was just tired of people denigrating his level just because they feel that other juniors like Truls are better.

      He had weaknesses like everyone else. But his strengths will take him a long way. There is only one ML and one FZD. Everyone else needs to work on their weaknesses.
      Last edited by NextLevel; 10-11-2018 at 09:23 PM.

    4. The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

      Suga D (10-11-2018),ttmonster (10-11-2018)

    5. Top | #183
      zeio is offline
      says IQ < 100
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Hong Kong
      zeio's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      1,293
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,995 Times in 761 Posts

    6. Top | #184
      usualsuspect is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Violin Carbon
      Forehand Rubber Yinhe/Galaxy Jupiter 2
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution EL-S

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Atlanta, US
      Posts
      231
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 168 Times in 86 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      Kanak, out of all the players, had the best ranking on the junior tour based on activity on the junior tour. So he had the most relevant ranking if you looked at how juniors played vs juniors. The other players got their rankings more from their past WJTTC performances and their rankings on the senior tours.

      My point is not to say that Kanak is the best player out of all the players. It is that sometimes, people should stop imagining what a good player looks like and have some faith in the fact that how you performed vs your peers will reflect how you will perform vs your peers at the junior level.

      In a senior level tournament, Kanak would not have had the Same seeding and it would have been accurate for THAT tournament.

      Kanak's strength is his touch and ball control. His weakness is his raw power. Unless he gets stronger that will be more exploitable as he gets more senior in the Same way as for CCY, who gets exploited in the same way. But at the current level, his play is adequate and I was just tired of people denigrating his level just because they feel that other juniors like Truls are better.

      He had weaknesses like everyone else. But his strengths will take him a long way. There is only one ML and one FZD. Everyone else needs to work on their weaknesses.
      When gauging a young player's potential, I like to observe his/her style and make analogy to mature players of similar style. Jha's style seems to be an allrounder. He focuses on touch and ball placement over raw power. Defensively, he's good at blocking and prefers to back away from the table. Right now, Jha is not too threatening over the table, but I think that's something he will definitely improve on.
      This style is similar to Mizutani's. Obviously Mizutani is the evolved version of Jha. Mizutani is stronger over the table and has more powerful FH and BH. But the basic strategy is the same, focusing on ball control over raw power, using blocks and lobs as defensive methods. Only go for the kill when there's a good opportunity, or stay in the rally long enough for your opponent to make a mistake. Generally, this is the more passive style.
      On the other hand, Wang Chuqin and Lin Yunju have a much more aggressive style. Both have solid fundamental skills, are powerful when attacking from both wings, threatening over the table, as well as away from it. This style is essentially how FZD plays. This is why I think Wang Chuqin and Lin Yunju have the potential to become much better players in the future than Kanak Jha (no disrespect to Jha or Mizutani. I think they are both excellent players and I like their style.).
      Of course, this is all my personal opinion. I could be completely wrong.

    7. The Following User Likes usualsuspect's Post:

      ttmonster (10-12-2018)

    8. Top | #185
      NextLevel is online now
      says I came to spin and breathe,
      and I am all out of air...
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade BBC Hinoki Ghost
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega V Asia
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega V Asia

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      6,461
      Reviews
      Read 15 Reviews
      Liked 10,568 Times in 4,569 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect View Post
      When gauging a young player's potential, I like to observe his/her style and make analogy to mature players of similar style. Jha's style seems to be an allrounder. He focuses on touch and ball placement over raw power. Defensively, he's good at blocking and prefers to back away from the table. Right now, Jha is not too threatening over the table, but I think that's something he will definitely improve on.
      This style is similar to Mizutani's. Obviously Mizutani is the evolved version of Jha. Mizutani is stronger over the table and has more powerful FH and BH. But the basic strategy is the same, focusing on ball control over raw power, using blocks and lobs as defensive methods. Only go for the kill when there's a good opportunity, or stay in the rally long enough for your opponent to make a mistake. Generally, this is the more passive style.
      On the other hand, Wang Chuqin and Lin Yunju have a much more aggressive style. Both have solid fundamental skills, are powerful when attacking from both wings, threatening over the table, as well as away from it. This style is essentially how FZD plays. This is why I think Wang Chuqin and Lin Yunju have the potential to become much better players in the future than Kanak Jha (no disrespect to Jha or Mizutani. I think they are both excellent players and I like their style.).
      Of course, this is all my personal opinion. I could be completely wrong.
      I think your evaluation is biased by the relative power levels of the players. I think Kanak is simply playing to his strengths. He lacks the power to end the point with one shot consistently. What that means in the long term for his career will be interesting. But Lin Gaoyuan is #3 so there is clearly a future in that.

    9. The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

      Suga D (10-14-2018),ttmonster (10-12-2018)

    10. Top | #186
      perham is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Belgium
      perham's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Adidas HyperTouch
      Forehand Rubber Joola Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber Joola Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Belgium
      Posts
      256
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 155 Times in 91 Posts
      Wang Chuqin's backhand power is ridiculous. Even Ma Long had a bit of trouble with it. I see a bright future for that kid.

      On a side note, it seems to me that there are a ridiculous number of awesome players among the Chinese currently. How the hell are they going to decide who goes to Olympics next time?

    11. Top | #187
      langel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Bulgaria

      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Vega Tour
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia 2.0, Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia 2.0, Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0

      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Posts
      1,031
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 508 Times in 358 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by perham View Post
      How the hell are they going to decide who goes to Olympics next time?
      Just post a poll here

    12. The Following 3 Users Like langel's Post:

      Ioiettino (10-12-2018),perham (10-12-2018),Takkyu_wa_inochi (10-13-2018)

    13. Top | #188
      usualsuspect is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Violin Carbon
      Forehand Rubber Yinhe/Galaxy Jupiter 2
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Evolution EL-S

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Atlanta, US
      Posts
      231
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 168 Times in 86 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      I think your evaluation is biased by the relative power levels of the players. I think Kanak is simply playing to his strengths. He lacks the power to end the point with one shot consistently. What that means in the long term for his career will be interesting. But Lin Gaoyuan is #3 so there is clearly a future in that.
      You clearly have not seen LGY play in the Asian games. There were plenty of killer opening attacks and counters from LGY, many from BH. LGY's style is extremely fast and aggressive over the table. He is the evolved version of Harimoto, completely different from Mizutani.

    14. Top | #189
      perham is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Belgium
      perham's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Adidas HyperTouch
      Forehand Rubber Joola Rhyzer 48
      Backhand Rubber Joola Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Belgium
      Posts
      256
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 155 Times in 91 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by langel View Post
      Just post a poll here
      The question is how can I enforce its results? Know anyone in CNT?

    15. Top | #190
      langel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Bulgaria

      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Vega Tour
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia 2.0, Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia 2.0, Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0

      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Posts
      1,031
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 508 Times in 358 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by perham View Post
      The question is how can I enforce its results? Know anyone in CNT?
      We don't need to know them.
      They know us and respect our statements

    16. The Following 2 Users Like langel's Post:

      drunix80 (10-13-2018),perham (10-12-2018)

    17. Top | #191
      Tony's Table Tennis is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Verified Pro Coach
      Master TTD Member Country: South Africa
      Tony's Table Tennis's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Intensity NCT (Cpen)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 Neo National Blue Sponge
      Backhand Rubber Stiga Mantra M

      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      Posts
      2,985
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 2,009 Times in 1,073 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by perham View Post
      Wang Chuqin's backhand power is ridiculous. Even Ma Long had a bit of trouble with it. I see a bright future for that kid.

      On a side note, it seems to me that there are a ridiculous number of awesome players among the Chinese currently. How the hell are they going to decide who goes to Olympics next time?
      Thats the sad thing of growing up as a TT star in China, Germany, Japan, Korea etc

      imagine, US Swimmers only allowed to send 2 swimmers to the olympics
      and only 2 athletes for track and field

      if they want to limit TT to only 2, then they must increase the amount of discipline so more athlete can have some form of olympic dream
      at the moment, migration is the easiest route - go play for another country to reach your olympic dream - that isn't an olympic spirit imo
      Founder and President - Tony's Table Tennis
      Head Coach - Tony's Table Tennis Academy
      www.ttshop.co.za
      www.facebook.com/tonystabletennis

    18. The Following 2 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

      Ioiettino (10-13-2018),perham (10-13-2018)

    19. Top | #192
      NextLevel is online now
      says I came to spin and breathe,
      and I am all out of air...
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade BBC Hinoki Ghost
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega V Asia
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega V Asia

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      6,461
      Reviews
      Read 15 Reviews
      Liked 10,568 Times in 4,569 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect View Post
      You clearly have not seen LGY play in the Asian games. There were plenty of killer opening attacks and counters from LGY, many from BH. LGY's style is extremely fast and aggressive over the table. He is the evolved version of Harimoto, completely different from Mizutani.
      I clearly have. You are focusing on one thing and I and focusing on another. If you don't like my choice of LGY and think it must be Mizutani, fine. I could have used CCY or Niwa ro make my point without losing sleep. It's that lack of power still has a future in the game.
      Last edited by NextLevel; 10-13-2018 at 12:43 PM.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    20. The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

      Ioiettino (10-13-2018),Suga D (10-14-2018),ttmonster (10-13-2018)

    21. Top | #193
      Ioiettino is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Europe
      Ioiettino's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S
      Forehand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0mm
      Backhand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0mm

      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Strasbourg
      Posts
      286
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
      Can I just say, it's nice that we have next to 200 posts on a youth tournament related thread.

      Also, as has been said it is a whole lot of pressure on HT's shoulders but he has already shown wonders (I liked the posts about how his style is already studied as a norm, as opposed to WCQ's - that in turn coming to hit him back).
      Take any skill in life and people go through plateaux and even momentary regressions, but his overall line of progress has been far above what we're used to see. I can't see how he wouldn't go on to at least being a contender for the world top spot. Of course we've seen bigger fortune reversals but that'd feel unfair, and I am really hoping for him to reach the heights (if only for the sheer sake of diversity - no offence to the whole stellar generation at the CNT).

    22. The Following User Likes Ioiettino's Post:

      Danny21312 (10-13-2018)

    23. Top | #194
      lVegita is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Brazil
      lVegita's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe Earth E1 / E3
      Forehand Rubber BH: Loki RXTON 1 / Palio AK47 Yellow
      Backhand Rubber FH: Loki RXTON 1 / 729 Battle II

      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      64
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
      There is no stream of the mixed games?

    24. Top | #195
      Loopadoop is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Gambler carbon
      Forehand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
      Backhand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0

      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Podunk TT City
      Posts
      763
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 243 Times in 183 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by lVegita View Post
      There is no stream of the mixed games?
      I couldn't find one either.

    25. Top | #196
      lVegita is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Brazil
      lVegita's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Yinhe Earth E1 / E3
      Forehand Rubber BH: Loki RXTON 1 / Palio AK47 Yellow
      Backhand Rubber FH: Loki RXTON 1 / 729 Battle II

      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      64
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
      What a shame, mixed games are so fun to watch. Specially when different countries are playing together.

    26. Top | #197
      Makelele is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Aaland


      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Posts
      92
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 63 Times in 29 Posts
      What a great match will be Harimoto-Sgouropoulos in Round 16!
      Ioannis has a gifted backhand, but he likes to play far from the table. That can be suicidal in this match.

    27. The Following User Likes Makelele's Post:

      Takkyu_wa_inochi (10-14-2018)

    28. Top | #198
      mrk is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Germany


      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Posts
      73
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
      No Livestream from the team event, not even the final? This is a fail.

    29. Top | #199
      Loopadoop is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Gambler carbon
      Forehand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
      Backhand Rubber RH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0

      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Podunk TT City
      Posts
      763
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 243 Times in 183 Posts
      Round 16 USA mixed team 1-2 Azerbaijan

      Mixed Team Quarterfinals Live now but no TV coverage

    30. The Following User Likes Loopadoop's Post:

      ping fun (10-15-2018)

    31. Top | #200
      drunix80 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: South Korea

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega IV Pro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega V Pro

      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Seoul
      Posts
      674
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 719 Times in 359 Posts
      It seems we are heading for another WCQ vs Harimoto showdown. WCQ had some tough matches in mixed event so far.

    Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP