Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
yep Harimoto has responded to the challenge. Hirano was not far but failed mentally apparently [i've not seen the matches]

But its a good win for Harimoto, it will boost his confidence

Unfortunately I haven't watched the Game between Hari and WCQ and even I cant find it in youtube , seems like a great game , but I think his two loses in this '' olympic '' ruined his self confidence especially after his lose to Truls . Seems like he's not good in critical moments in BIG TITLES .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Unfortunately I haven't watched the Game between Hari and WCQ and even I cant find it in youtube , seems like a great game , but I think his two loses in this '' olympic '' ruined his self confidence especially after his lose to Truls . Seems like he's not good in critical moments in BIG TITLES .

These players are all 2-3 years older than him if it isn't clear.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
he could recover from a bad loss. its a good sign. If he was truly weak he would have lost again today

No he's not truely weak , He is a wonderkid as TT lovers say , but he needs to work on many many thing , especially his mental prepration , because the name of the tournament was olympic , not a real olympic but olympic . And I think japanese will fill these faults with better results .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
But he is more experienced , He's participated in big competitions so 2 or 3 years doesn't make any sense .
Sure. In fact, at those ages, a few months is a big deal. That's why a lot of research shows a positive correlation between being a few months older and doing better in school. That is why events that cater to your age regardless of the month you were born usually have the oldest kids dominating even if they are only a few months older, all other things being equal.

This user has no status.
Sure. In fact, at those ages, a few months is a big deal. That's why a lot of research shows a positive correlation between being a few months older and doing better in school. That is why events that cater to your age regardless of the month you were born usually have the oldest kids dominating even if they are only a few months older, all other things being equal.

Something like 60% of professional athletes were born in the first 6 months of the year. It's a problem in team sports especially.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Mixed Team Event:

Semi-finals:

[1] Japan 2:1 Europe-1 [3]
1) Miu Hirano 3:1 Sabina Surjan, SRB (6:11, 11:3, 11:9, 11:6)
2) Tomokazu Harimoto 1:3 Truls Möregård, SWE (11:4, 9:11, 9:11, 9:11)
3) Hirano/Harimoto 3:1 Surjan/Möregård (11:5, 11:4, 8:11, 11:4)

[4] China 2:0 Chinese Taipei [2]
1) Sun Yingsha 3:0 Su Pei-Ling (11:4, 11:4, 11:2)
2) Wang Chuqin 3:1 Lin Yun-Ju (11:6, 14:12, 9:11, 11:8)

Bronze Medal match:

[3] Europe-1 1:2 Chinese Taipei [2]
1) Sabina Surjan, SRB 3:0 Su Pei-Ling (11:9, 14:12, 11:8)
2) Truls Möregård, SWE 1:3 Lin Yun-Ju (12:10, 10:12, 15:17, 5:11)
3) Surjan/Möregård 2:3 Su/Lin (13:11, 7:11, 7:11, 11:3, 11:13)

Final:

[1] Japan 1:2 China [4]
1) Miu Hirano 2:3 Sun Yingsha (4:11, 11:7, 11:7, 13:15, 1:11)
2) Tomokazu Harimoto 3:1 Wang Chuqin (9:11, 11:7, 12:10, 11:3)
3) Hirano/Harimoto 1:3 Sun/Wang (8:11, 6:11, 14:12, 5:11)

Medalists:
Gold: China (Sun Yingsha and Wang Chuqin) [4]
Silver: Japan (Miu Hirano and Wang Chuqin) [1]
Bronze: Chinese Taipei (Su Pei-Ling and Lin Yun-Ju) [2]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Something like 60% of professional athletes were born in the first 6 months of the year. It's a problem in team sports especially.

Exactly. The reason I didnt phrase it that way is that not everything goes with calendar year. But in things that don't, a similar pattern relative to the criteria emerges. Then people will use Geniuses like Harimoto to pretend that age doesn't matter and pretend bad Harimoto won't be a better player in 2 years.

This user has no status.
people will use Geniuses like Harimoto to pretend that age doesn't matter and pretend bad Harimoto won't be a better player in 2 years.

I'm less worried about Harimoto's age and more worried about his training. If he does not become a more technically complete player, the road ahead will be difficult. Case in point, Hirano Miu was a wunderkind, but she has been playing the same game for a couple years now. Her win ratio vs. top Chinese players has become abysmal. This might be the direction Harimoto is headed. He might be pretty good against most players, but not a threat to the top Chinese players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I'm less worried about Harimoto's age and more worried about his training. If he does not become a more technically complete player, the road ahead will be difficult. Case in point, Hirano Miu was a wunderkind, but she has been playing the same game for a couple years now. Her win ratio vs. top Chinese players has become abysmal. This might be the direction Harimoto is headed. He might be pretty good against most players, but not a threat to the top Chinese players.

First of all we need to acknowledge how mature Harimoto's game already is, his mentality and approach to the matches is really genius in some ways imho. His understanding of the game will only get better I'm sure. As to the technical aspects they will probably go through transition periods, as he is still growing. I'm afraid you might be worrying about his development - specially in terms of results (and specially against CNT) at least 4-5 years too early ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
yep Harimoto has responded to the challenge. Hirano was not far but failed mentally apparently [i've not seen the matches]

But its a good win for Harimoto, it will boost his confidence
Hirano was incredibly close. That 4th game was AMAZING, Hirano had like..4 or 5 match points but Sun was brilliant, she couldn't recover after that.

I think Japan wasn't that far away from winning this time.