Ryu Seung Min ZLC | No serial

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi there,

I recently bought (not here) a Ryu Seung Min ZLC and as soon as the blade arrived, I began to doubt its authenticity.

Please refer to the following pictures: https://imgur.com/a/odlgXXr

On the first photo, showing the blade's face, you can clearly see the absence of the serial number. Furthermore, there's no additional information on the box itself. Since serial numbers were introduced in 2005/2006 and the Ryu Seung Min ZLC came out in 2012/2013, I'm quite struggling with its originality.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Mischa

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Admittedly I am not an expert on Jpen blades, but from the finish of the blade , looks pretty genuine to me ... I would just play with it and compare the playing characteristic it with other RSM blade you/your friends might have.

Where did you buy it from ?

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I bought it from a collector who got it on eBay in 2012/2013 from a Butterfly employee. I have a few JPens, but I'm still wondering why it has no serial. Butterfly Germany replied to me that this blade was made with a serial number. It's either fake or a custom made which was advertised on eBay illegally.

Reactions: ttmonster and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Here is where it gets tricky , there will always be the "official version" ... and frequently employees get access to stuff that have not gone through the complete process ... so there won't be any way to tell other than you playing with it and comparing it with a totally legit version ... keep in mind minor variations will be there even between two blades of the same kind ..
I bought it from a collector who got it on eBay in 2012/2013 from a Butterfly employee. I have a few JPens, but I'm still wondering why it has no serial. Butterfly Germany replied to me that this blade was made with a serial number. It's either fake or a custom made which was advertised on eBay illegally.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I just got this mail from Butterfly.

"Mr ... who sold this blade on eBay in 2012 doesn't work at Butterfly anymore. It is very likely that this is a pre-production model, a visual copy or similar, which was manufactured without a serial number (...)."

Strictly speaking, it is a product from Butterfly. When it comes to the missing serial number, it is very likely that the employee stole the wood from a photo shoot for a catalog or directly from production before a serial number could be applied.

Case closed.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Did you just get somebody fired from Butterfly ?
I just got this mail from Butterfly.

"Mr ... who sold this blade on eBay in 2012 doesn't work at Butterfly anymore. It is very likely that this is a pre-production model, a visual copy or similar, which was manufactured without a serial number (...)."

Strictly speaking, it is a product from Butterfly. When it comes to the missing serial number, it is very likely that the employee stole the wood from a photo shoot for a catalog or directly from production before a serial number could be applied.

Case closed.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Honestly, I don't know .. but the way OP phrased it .. and the response from butterfly ... it seemed a distinct possibility because we don't know the timeline when "he stopped working" ... the phrase "he does not work for the company anymore" is a pretty frequently used one to mask a firing .. anyways I was just playing along @SugaD .. not sure what exactly transpired ..

I understood it as a joke and that he had left the company before this happened.
Did he really get fired for this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2011
20190210_153941.jpg20190210_153946.jpg20190210_153957(0).jpg this blade right?