Zhang Jike's watch collection is insane!

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
You think He is Jerk just because he is soending HIS money on what he likes? So we have lots of jerks . Like messi , Ronaldo , and other rich oeople . who spend lots of money for watch and cars .

Ah, whataboutism. A popular fallacy these days. But indeed, we do have a quite a lot of people crapping all over our collective future. And yes, they're jerks for doing so, and yes, we should call them out for it.

ZJK was one the greatest ever, period, and probably still is up there when truly fighting. A god's god, in peak form. But this has nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
I'd call it obscene rather than insane, but well, that's because I happen to think scarcity actually exists, and resource depletion is a thing we should start getting worried about. Or rather, we should have started doing something about decades ago already. But hey, let's hear it for the big spender. He who burns the largest area of rainforest wins!
Yep, obscene is what it is. The point you make that ZJK's defenders miss is the reality of scarcity. "Oh, he helps poor people," they cry. Really? How does having a million dollars worth of watches help anyone? Growing up in a country such as China he should have a much better idea of what genuine need looks like. According to a 2016 statistic, there are 460,000 orphans in China. That figure is almost certainly grossly understated. Equally, levels of homelessness are extraordinary; Business Insider in 2016 reported more than 1,000,000 homeless children. In 2011, 2.5 million adults were homeless - again a statistic probably understated.

Against these figures, we have the notion that being rich means being privileged to do whatever you like, the "he's entitled to do whatever he likes with his money" argument. We've been taught from birth that being rich is desirable and we should always aspire upwards. What we've never been taught is that we live in a world of finite resources, and the more some people have the less others have available. Any economic analysis shows that the world's richest people control the wealth available to everyone else. Every single time we admire ZJK's crass display of his money, we're silently agreeing that it's okay for millions to be poor. [/rant]

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Yep, obscene is what it is. The point you make that ZJK's defenders miss is the reality of scarcity. "Oh, he helps poor people," they cry. Really? How does having a million dollars worth of watches help anyone? Growing up in a country such as China he should have a much better idea of what genuine need looks like. According to a 2016 statistic, there are 460,000 orphans in China. That figure is almost certainly grossly understated. Equally, levels of homelessness are extraordinary; Business Insider in 2016 reported more than 1,000,000 homeless children. In 2011, 2.5 million adults were homeless - again a statistic probably understated.

Against these figures, we have the notion that being rich means being privileged to do whatever you like, the "he's entitled to do whatever he likes with his money" argument. We've been taught from birth that being rich is desirable and we should always aspire upwards. What we've never been taught is that we live in a world of finite resources, and the more some people have the less others have available. Any economic analysis shows that the world's richest people control the wealth available to everyone else. Every single time we admire ZJK's crass display of his money, we're silently agreeing that it's okay for millions to be poor. [/rant]

Yes I defend him and all the athletes and the people who ripped their ass off to get fame and money they want . Its really more obscence that you judge people easily .. How do u know Zhang jike or other Richer athletes never help poor people ?? Is ZHANG JIKE responsible for china's millions of poor people?? That's really ridiculous . I'm sure Zhang jike, Malong , Lin dan or other rich athletes have helped enough to the people around them . Now its time for them to enjoy their lives after hours of training and training and training .

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I know someone who withnessed him buying 12 of those fake watches far 5$ a piece in Hongkong streetmarket

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yes I defend him and all the athletes and the people who ripped their ass off to get fame and money they want . Its really more obscence that you judge people easily .. How do u know Zhang jike or other Richer athletes never help poor people ?? Is ZHANG JIKE responsible for china's millions of poor people?? That's really ridiculous . I'm sure Zhang jike, Malong , Lin dan or other rich athletes have helped enough to the people around them . Now its time for them to enjoy their lives after hours of training and training and training .

So ZJK enjoyed the privilege of getting the opportunity to spend many hours perfecting a hobby, and getting highly rewarded for it. Whereas others actually work themselves to death under abysmal conditions, in jobs they probably did not choose but were forced to take, at or just below sustenance level. Yes, property is really is theft, and all the world's resources now wasted away in utter decadence are stolen not just for our fellow men, but from future generations.

Nobody's denying ZJK was (and probably is) a great athlete. And nobody's denying he petted an orphan or two every now and then. And many, including me, wish him a happy retirement when he's reached that point, and may he rest on his laurels with a great sense of fullfilment and satisfaction. In no way does that entail pissing away a fortune in a vulgar and crass display of abundance. In fact, I highly doubt that such peacock behaviour is a sign of happiness, of confidence, of inner peace. Quite the contrary, and I wish him and those sharing his condition a much, much better fate.

Last edited:
Reactions: bircham boi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Good luck getting your money back on those Richard Mille, if they really are an investment. I thought they were product placements too (RM have quite a few athletes and sports-related people on the payroll, even in relatively "minor" sports like Sébastien Ogier in WRC). Far more innovation than IWC and Panerai (and yes, PP) but it really is is pure hype and marketing. Such efforts, so little intrinsic value, when you think about it: any old Casio F-91 will be just as light and robust (their main selling arguments, other than brand ambassadors), not to mention more precise. So, what is left (gold will always be gold... but heck, carbon nanotubes?) is looks - subject to trends - and brand image, that "making you feel special". Care to bet a mansion's worth on it lasting forever?

Not that I am castigating our hero but yes, the world of luxury is absurd.

FWIW, and of course I don't pretend to compare myself to these fellas, I'm also on the Seiko bandwagon!