Question for Chinese rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Which are the best soft sponge Chinese rubbers for the forehand to get intense spin?

I don't want to use booster

I've tried different Hurricane 3 versions but they seem too hard. I am currently using ma long 3 blade which I really like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well I think it's a mistake to go too soft sponge with Chinese tacky but Geospin tacky is pretty soft. So is Gambler Wraith.

Neither of which though is as tacky as H3 IMO. Few things are. Except Battle 2. But that's a hard sponge.

I get it. You want to be a spin monster. You want to loop and when your opponents block it, they struggle to keep it on the table right? Well shooting them a slow ball makes it easier to keep on. Now imagine that same spin just with more speed. That ball is more likely to be blocked long. In short, it's a combo of speed & spin. A firmer sponge will give you that needed speed.

One last little tid bit i'll add. If you want monster spin. Make sure you have a flexy blade vs a stiff one.

... Shame you don't boost. H3 reacts pretty will in my little testing with Falco Long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas and ttdad
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OP, you might need to realize that the kind of ball you want to produce (rediculous spin) with that rubber depends totally on a very forceful high speed impact that you do not have. If you had that impact, you would not be asking why h3 gives you insufficient spin.

Unless you get some real good training using perfect biomechanics to get that forceful BANG impact... just give it up. You would be on a collision course to a torn rotator cuff trying to get that kind of impact where you dont yet have it and the biomechanics are not there.

Even some very good, if not elite amateurs, tear their shoulders up trying to play hotshot fh macho man table tennis using h3 on fh.

This should be a moment that reality slaps you before you wreck yourself. I sound harsh and I am, but it is real.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
... now if you want easy decent spin with h3 or any tacky rubber... just use a loose grip and easy swing with some small whip at the end... this would give you an acceptable 60 to 70 percent of the spin potential with a 30 to 40 percent swing.

Learning the whip mechanics for that stroke are much easier and achievable. It is also less stressful on the shoulder.

Remember... loose arm and loose grip... a short dip of knees a short waist turn... a loose easy swing and delayed whip... you can still get decent spin with that not so powerful stroke and save that shoulder.

You won't be blowing it by anyone, but you will be able to place it consistently with enough spin to win the point often.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I've played with H3N blue sponge and B2 and both are quite similar. I'm not an extremely talented player but B2 was a whole lot harder to use compared to H3N.

I've recently switched to Stiga Genesis II M which is quite tacky so the transition from H3 was a breeze. Producing a brush loop is easy. I have a strong feeling that DHS produces the rubber (same cover sheets, same font printed on the sponge as H3, similar smell etc). The sponge has got bit of a catapult but it's way more linear than something like Tenergy.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I've played with H3N blue sponge and B2 and both are quite similar. I'm not an extremely talented player but B2 was a whole lot harder to use compared to H3N.

I've recently switched to Stiga Genesis II M which is quite tacky so the transition from H3 was a breeze. Producing a brush loop is easy. I have a strong feeling that DHS produces the rubber (same cover sheets, same font printed on the sponge as H3, similar smell etc). The sponge has got bit of a catapult but it's way more linear than something like Tenergy.
A Taiwan reseller has confirmed DHS is the OEM.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I read original post and I see op said his issue was sponge hardness. H3 is not a particularly hard sponge... but the top sheet isnt exactly wafer thin. That would contribute to a harder feel on less forceful shots...

That brings up the the arguement that tack Chinese rubbers need a really powerful full swing bang impact to get them to work right.

If the bang impact isnt there, then a modern dynamic rubber is the better balance point.

It works like that for me on fh... I dont have the powerful forward bang impact on my first loop. I have it on bh, but not fh, so I like a dynamic rubber or a control rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Palio Hadou 40+ without doubt, for me the best Chinese rubber to use on the FH.

Very good spin, not too much hard, the ball doesnt fly flat when powerlooping, good control with more fine contact, does have some catapult when blocking, easy to receive and put the ball short.

Dont know why this rubber doesnt have that much attention.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
A few players in our league swear by Battle 2 for a heavily tacky and spiny, but its a mid hard sponge...
https://bribartt.co.uk/product/friendship-battle-ii-table-tennis-rubber/

Read some good reviews about Jupiter 2, not as tacky as battle 2 but is softer than it....
https://www.ttequipment.co.uk/product/yinhe-jupiter-2-rubber/

Like Der Echte says though, no rubber can compensate for techinque, but some are easier to hide the inadequacies than others ;)

I heard some good things about Battle 2 as well and i want to try it. I had Vega China and liked it a lot as an alternativ to a boosted h3. But it was still a bit to slow for me when looping far away from the table.

Do you think Battle 2 is faster then Vega China??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
OK, thanks for your comments. It's obviously going to be some trial and error - I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the wallet out.