Current short pip forehand players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Who are the current players using short pips on the forehand? And what rubbers are they using, if known?

I know of the highest ranked male player using them Mattias Karlson - razka PO pips

And also the female player Wan Yaun, but not sure which pip she is using.

The players needn't be top 100 or anything, just "good" quality!

Any idea what Amelie Solja is using?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Don't know if this is accurate: https://tabletennis-reference.com/player/detail/1226
Shan Xianoa also plays short pips on forehand, but that's traditional penholder style which is a bit dated now probably (but still nice to watch, I thin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pB789yIJpc

Hmm, so it seems stiga royal, if true, is not an uncommon one used by good players.

I wondered if there was a new influx of players since the new ball was put into play -- ones using short pips on the forehand, that is.

Anyone know of the newer chinese SP hitters?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Jesus...no one mentions Jesus Cantero?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Yang sheng got beaten by ding ning?

I was hoping to see more shakehand players using short pips. And it seems the ones I do find... almost always use their inverted backhand to rally. Not really any forehand dominant pips players, aside from the pen holders. They bh bh bh until a pop up comes over and then try to forehand finish.

I've spotted a few younger Japanese females using sp forehand, but again using the women's style alone, they are more bh dependent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Back when i was playing SPs, I had an excel list of SP penholders I liked to watch to try to pick up stuff from their game. Most of them were 38mm era but I'll paste what I had just in case.

Some notable ones that come to mind that I particularly like.
- Jaiqi Zheng. (same style as Tin Tin Ho. Just US based player)
- Wang Zeng Yi (I know has used 802)
- He Zhi Wen (you'll hear 802 or Palio Dolphin. A tuned SP. Whatever it is, it's a very spiny SP which makes me question 802. Watch a low angle replay of his matches. Pretty heavy spin SP there.)

But if someone was looking for a SP FH, I hear the Butterfly Firestorms are popular but have never tried them. For sure I would probably pick for myself thought TSP Spin pips Red. That's on the newer, more modern tuned sponge. Really fast.

from the excel list:

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
Bin Hai Chu
Chen Longcan
Chen Song
Crystal Huang
David Zhuang
Gao Jun
HE Zhi Wen
Ichiro Ogimura
Jiang Jialiang
Jiaqi Zheng
Ju Mingwei
Jung Kuo-Tuan
Kim Ki-Taek
Kunihito Tasei
Lee Eun Hee
Liu Guoliang
Mitsuru Kohno
Shan Xiaona
Shimizu Hiroki
Shoki Morita
Sun Chen
Tin-Tin Ho
Wang Zeng Yi
Yan Sheng 严升

<colgroup><col style="width: 122px"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Reactions: Gugdigrazia
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

I am a forehand short pimple player. Any tips? To bad that the sound is off.

Last edited:
Reactions: bircham boi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I try to flat hit! :) it is little top spin, but not much. Can not generate much topspin with the open racket angle. You can also hear at the sound that the hit is pretty flat :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Well I guess there are different styles that use more or less spin. Could be the high follow through that is throwing me off. But dont the real flat smashes usually go more straight through? It doesn't look like the receiver is having to adjust much compared to blocking top spins. Is it a newer tensor pip? Those use more of the hybrid style between a loop drive and smash I think. More spin than the classic low grip pips certainly