Lifting Backspin - chinese or european rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hey everone!
Iam still struggling with doing topspins on havey backspin. I know its mainly about having the right technique and i am working on that.
But somebody said that its actually much easier with a tacky chinese rubber. Another guy in my club did not agree and said the high throw of european rubber makes it much easier.
Whats your opinion on that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Well, it's mainly a matter of technique. Sorry.

Agreed. 90% technique. If you don’t do the correct weight transfer it’ll just go into the net. For people at my level I always suggest to not try to lift a very heavy backspin but rather push with placement and try to get a ball that has lighter backspin and then attack on that. This tactic is usually easier and more consistent than doing a superman shot once out of ten times (and believe me, I like showing off) [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hey everone!
Iam still struggling with doing topspins on havey backspin. I know its mainly about having the right technique and i am working on that.
But somebody said that its actually much easier with a tacky chinese rubber. Another guy in my club did not agree and said the high throw of european rubber makes it much easier.
Whats your opinion on that?

As for the answer to this, I’d say European rubbers are easier for this having played with both Chinese and European, but you need to take this with a grain of salt since my technique and speed are not up to a level to effectively use Chinese rubbers (yhey demand more from your technique)

This user has no status.
I’ve spent time playing with both. As a beginner it is definitely easier to lift backspin with European style “grip” rubber than with tacky Chinese style rubber.

The more sensitive to incoming spin that your rubber is, the more effort/technique that it takes to lift the ball. Also, rubber with a low throw angle can also make it more difficult for beginners.

So... Xiom Vega Europe DF and Tibhar EL-S were way easier for me to consistently lift heavy backspin as a beginner compared to Hurricane 3 Neo.

On the other hand, H3 produces more spin.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
It needs legs and timing .... rubber is secondary ... if you can get the footwork and timing right , the rubber eventually becomes a much smaller factor... e.g at this time I can switch from H3 to T05 same/similar / different blades and still pretty much make the opening loop with consistency .. of course there are exceptions but speaking in general ..

Reactions: Suga D and Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
i also played both. lifting backspin balls with superman shot is my favorite shot.

like mentioned, proper technique and u can loopkill it with both.
if i remember correctly it was a bit more consistent with chinese due to the tackyness while it is a bit more easier to override the spin with european.
pro chinese: u can put alot of power in it, mostly the shot will land on the table
con chinese: u have to put alot of power in it, for this u have to be more on time thus faster on feet
pro european: u dont need that much of an effort to execute that shot
con european: the margin of error is greater because u have to access how much power u put in nor the ball go long or net.

this is my opinion on loopskills. the reason why i switched to european rubbers is the safety topspin. with european i can lift up quite safetly any backspin ball and i dont need to overkill it, the result is like a usual topspin but a bit more slow and a bit more spinny. this was impossible to me with chinese rubber. second TT is all about movement. with chinese rubber u cant do lazy shots thus u need good movement and good anticipation. tbh we european midclass player are too bad for chinese rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I can lift back spin with a hard bat. The rubber isn't important.
ttmonser mentioned timing. Timing is critical.
Where you start the swing is critical.
There is a tendency to rush the stroke. This is my biggest problem. I always need to think "wait for it" then stroke.
There are two things that screw people up when lifting backspin.
1. Normally the back spin ball comes at you much slower than a loop or flat hit.
2. When a back spin ball hits the table, its forward momentum is reduced by the friction with the table.
The result is that the ball does not come forward to you like normal. The natural urge is to swing forward to meet the ball but now the swing is not up enough so the ball goes into the net. This is why you need to wait for the ball to come to you or step forward if possible so your swing can be more up than forward.

So timing is important.
The next trick is matching or exceeding the spin of the ball with the up stroke. If you don't stroke up fast enough the surface of the ball will push off the top sheet down into the net or table. If you upwards motion of the paddle matches the spin of the ball there will be no downward force into the net or table. The rubber type will make no difference in this case.

There is a video I like. Henzel waits for the ball and uses the time to move the paddle down behind his right knee then explodes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Euro / Jap rubbers are easier, especially those that are fast and have high throw like EL-S, Tenergy 05 and FastArc G1.

But, once you have mastered the proper technique to do it, chinese rubber like hurricane 3 produces nastier balls with really spinny, fast and low arc-ed balls