Butterfly release Tomokazu Harimoto New Blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Read 1 reviews
This is scheduled for April 1st (no joke! Lol).

The RRP is €149.90, which I find amazing. I fully expected it to be over 200.

Either Butterfly are pricing it fairly reasonably in the hope people will spend more to get a “named premium blade”, or it’s just not as good as the other top end Butterfly blades.

Its not like Butterfly to be generous on pricing, so my gut feel is that it’s simply not as quality as some of the others.

I love the design, and might pick one up as a replacement for my VS Unlimited (which I like, but looking at something with a little more feeling).

I am surprised by the price to considering the price of the Dignics. Hopefully the Harimoto is as good as the Innerforce

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Harimoto: People should try this blade because it's cool.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Hi, i just saw the news about this blade and i was wondering if it is worth to change my W968 to try this blade. Should it be a big difference? Thank you.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi, i just saw the news about this blade and i was wondering if it is worth to change my W968 to try this blade. Should it be a big difference? Thank you.

Hi Morv,

There's a few things to consider.

What's your current level?
What do you like about the W968?
What do you dislike about it?

There will be a difference as the Harimoto is an Innerforce blade (meaning the carbon layers are closer to the core), where as the W968 has the carbon layers closer to the surface.

I've ordered the Harimoto as I think it'll suit my game - I've been looking for a slightly slower blade for a while, and this fits the bill for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Hi Morv,

There's a few things to consider.

What's your current level?
What do you like about the W968?
What do you dislike about it?

There will be a difference as the Harimoto is an Innerforce blade (meaning the carbon layers are closer to the core), where as the W968 has the carbon layers closer to the surface.

I've ordered the Harimoto as I think it'll suit my game - I've been looking for a slightly slower blade for a while, and this fits the bill for me.

Sorry NDH, W968 /HL 5 is Innerforce-type as well. But do you happen to know if the top ply is koto or limba? The pictures indicate that it might be koto, if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case it would make the harimoto more like the N301/H301..

Last edited:
Reactions: RidTheKid

NDH

says Spin to win!
Sorry NDH, W968 /HL 5 is Innerforce-type as well. But do you happen to know if the top ply is koto or limba? The pictures indicate that it might be koto, if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case it would make the harimoto more like the N301/H301..

Really? Why didn't I know this.....

Everyday is a school day!

No idea on the wood make up yet - Butterfly wouldn't tell me.

Why should you CHANGE your W968?
You don't have to do it.
The only thing you HAVE to do is to buy a HT iAlc.
Thats all.
What you would do with it doesn't matter ar all, really.
But the positives of such a purchase are enormous and do matter a lot - you help TH, you help BTY to R&D more and more high quality stuff. and as this blade is really affordable for everyone and especially for the youngsters at TH age.
So yes - you should give it a try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Hi NDH, thank you for the quick response. Actually i've trained since i was 10, my first blades were friendship and so, then suddenly i changed to the w968 in 2017 and trained from monday to saturday almost 4 hours. I really like about the w968 mainly the hardness and the power it has. The thing i dont like about it is that even though through the years i've have it, i still cant control it completely, sometimes it goes so hard i cant be so agressive in order to avoid the ball go off the table. So for example instead of doing a BH topsin in my third ball attack i mainly push it just to make sure i dont lose the point so fast.

My couch told me that i should addapt to the new trend, play closer to the table focus on power not so much on spin becaise of the new ball. But with the blade i have im not able to do so, because most of the time im too insecure of playing close to the table.

That would be all.

PS: I use the W968 with TIBHAR MXP on the FH and BH.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I own 3 pcs of W968 (one custom made) and I don't really understand what you mean with "hardness" of this blade? It's a control blade with many gears. HL5 is much faster, though, less dwell etc.

Hi NDH, thank you for the quick response. Actually i've trained since i was 10, my first blades were friendship and so, then suddenly i changed to the w968 in 2017 and trained from monday to saturday almost 4 hours. I really like about the w968 mainly the hardness and the power it has. The thing i dont like about it is that even though through the years i've have it, i still cant control it completely, sometimes it goes so hard i cant be so agressive in order to avoid the ball go off the table. So for example instead of doing a BH topsin in my third ball attack i mainly push it just to make sure i dont lose the point so fast.

My couch told me that i should addapt to the new trend, play closer to the table focus on power not so much on spin becaise of the new ball. But with the blade i have im not able to do so, because most of the time im too insecure of playing close to the table.

That would be all.

PS: I use the W968 with TIBHAR MXP on the FH and BH.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Hi, with hardnes im referring to the speed? of the blade, the ball goes fast. I dont feel it like a control blade, i think of it as a really fast blade with decent control. So i was wondering if it will have many differences with the INNERFORCE

I own 3 pcs of W968 (one custom made) and I don't really understand what you mean with "hardness" of this blade? It's a control blade with many gears. HL5 is much faster, though, less dwell etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do you own the W968 (National or provincial?) or HL5?

Innerforce should be about the same speed range seeing as they're both inner carbon blades. If you think W968 is too fast then you should get an all-wood blade or slower rubbers. MXP is not a slow rubber.

What is your level of play?

Hi, with hardnes im referring to the speed? of the blade, the ball goes fast. I dont feel it like a control blade, i think of it as a really fast blade with decent control. So i was wondering if it will have many differences with the INNERFORCE

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Do you own the W968 (National or provincial?) or HL5?

Innerforce should be about the same speed range seeing as they're both inner carbon blades. If you think W968 is too fast then you should get an all-wood blade or slower rubbers. MXP is not a slow rubber.

What is your level of play?

i never know how to answer this kind of questions, i assume there are three levels? Basic, Intermediate and advanced? Is that ok? If so, i guess im an advanced level player?

So, to sum up there would be no big difference between the W968 and the innerforce right?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Is there any video of you online?

Generally speaking, an advanced player would be OK with most set ups.

If you are looking to tweak little things to get it right, the only way you'll truly know if it suits you is by trying it.

But from the looks of it, there won't be much difference between the Harimoto and W968.

I'd suggest different rubbers rather than a different blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
What rubbers should i use in that case? when i first bought the w68 i pair ir with a dhs h3 national version blue sponge on FH and the orange sponge on BH.

I'd definitely get a slower, softer rubber.

MX-P sounds like the issue here, not the blade.

NDH

says Spin to win!
If you are training 4 hours per day, I'd imagine you have a coach?

Probably best to see what they say to be honest.

If you wanted to stay in the EVO range, you could try EL-P, which isn't a huge step down from MX-P, but it's a little softer and will offer more control.

But without seeing you play, it's virtually impossible to give decent advice.

Probably the least helpful response I've seen.

If you don't like something, why not just ignore it?

The OP was asking for advice on the blade, not a lecture in your opinions towards Butterfly.

Yeah, right, NDH, but you didn't get the adea of it.
Its not against BTY at all, and its not against TH, I like him.

The reason I wrote it this way is that I don't feel expert enough to give advices to a player playing with W968.