Interesting ready position of top Chinese players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I think the main reason for this, is not to stress the legs wile mantaining balance, before activate the movement and then move to reach the ball...so, ready position, without stressing the legs = faster reaction.

The are some players that stand to low, arms open A la Hugo Calderano, maybe during a tied match this can tire you more.

I think the main reason for this, is not to stress the legs wile mantaining balance, before activate the movement and then move to reach the ball...so, ready position, without stressing the legs = faster reaction.

The are some players that stand to low, arms open A la Hugo Calderano, maybe during a tied match this can tire you more.

Hugo Calderano, Masataka Morizono, and some other have this weird stance, I think it's not natural, put heavy loads on quads, and can hinder movement. Until this day I dont understand the reason why they're doing that

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014

I don't understand either. I feel tired just watching his ready stance. What do he bend his knees and squatting so low for? It's not to watch the ball trajectory because he will get up and move even before the opponent contacts the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
For some reason hopping right before returning a serve helps in pushing with the ball with even less movement then you wish to do aka adding power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Wow! Very interesting?

Why do they put their free hand in the same position?
Top Chinese players have a very similar table tennis stance.

Waiting for your comments.

That's odd. I always thought that you are the (only) one who "knows" the chinese "secrets" to the game. At least that is what you're basically indicating in many of your posts/clips... Or is it some sort of a trick question and you actually "know" the answer...waiting for your comment;)

Last edited:
Reactions: vfiodor
This user has no status.
That's odd. I always thought that you are the (only) one who "knows" the chinese "secrets" to the game. At least that is what you're basically indicating in many of your posts/clips... Or is it some sort of a trick question and you actually "know" the answer...waiting for your comment;)
That's a plot twist for the next video from my compatriot, dude :D wait for that then :p

says Aging is a killer
Squatting and the split step

I don't understand either. I feel tired just watching his ready stance. What do he bend his knees and squatting so low for? It's not to watch the ball trajectory because he will get up and move even before the opponent contacts the ball.

It's sort of a cultural thing. Europeans will kneel when tending to their garden. People in the tropics prefer to squat for whatever reason. They can squat all day long if necessary.
In my teenage years, I played school cricket mostly as a wicket keeper (catcher in US baseball). To this day (>60yo), I can still bend my knees fairly low for TT matches if I feel like it. These days I am just too slow to get out of the stance, so keep the stance fairly high.

Players move before the opponent strikes the ball in order to stop themselves being late for the ball. Basically it's a variation on the split step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddLI4FCnUrI

or beat the ball to the bounce:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHntqOv6KIE&index=5&list=PLIXeETdbwy0uqvbQrRRtNfnAD3c5QKOJw

says what [IMG]
Go in that stance with your hand forward and feel your lower back. Now put your hand on your leg and support yourself.

It's actually an ancient form, passed down from generation to generation, with it's origins in Chinese martial arts. The stance not only helps your endurance, but it also channels your inner strength, making you ready for the next ball.

Do this, and the *significant* endurance gain you receive will easily propel your ranking an equivalent of 200 USATT points, or more! Just one of the thousand-year-old Chinese secrets.

For real.