Pro Players Not Using Grip Tape

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
The Nuytinck was already been used by Vladi even if it wasnt released in the market yet at that time.

Ah, I see.

It is part of a free test run over at a German forum, and people are discussing whether no-one wants to try it because Nuytinck is not such a well-known player.

If that logic rang true, who could blame BTY and Donic naming blade after blade Boll this and Ovtcharov that ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
I think part of the reason why top pros don't use grip tape is for the same reason you don't see 300 pound world class marathon runners. If your hands sweat to the point where you need grip tape, you are going to have a much harder time becoming a professional player. The racket is always going to be sliding around no matter what you do thus making it way harder to be precise and control the ball. If you serve, the moisture from your left hand is probably going to prevent you from putting the correct amount of force on the ball and controlling it precisely. My hands sweat profusely and drying them off is impossible if the playing hall is hot or it is too humid. Literally one second after my hand leaves the towel it is wet again. Going for any kind of precise serve is probably going to result in disaster. One of my first coaches also coached a former women's world champion. I asked the coach what players did when their hands sweat too much. The coach had never seen a player with this problem and had no idea what to suggest.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I never seem any serious player but one (still plays in Jia A in China - but he is a Cpen player who twiddles, so it isn't from sweat, he just likes the soft touch)

When I used to train 6 to 7 hours a day, I had to change 3 shirts minimum a day
If I was a shakehand player using grip tape, I think it will be too wet to use.....
when hands get wet - just wipe the table/towel

I agree grip tape will take away the fell of the blade, so that isn't a wise move imo

regarding handle small or big issue, that is another issue for the manufactures to look at - some did, but I guess it might not make financial sense for some others if there is no quantity to justify a new SKU (stock keeping unit)

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
I think part of the reason why top pros don't use grip tape is for the same reason you don't see 300 pound world class marathon runners. If your hands sweat to the point where you need grip tape, you are going to have a much harder time becoming a professional player. The racket is always going to be sliding around no matter what you do thus making it way harder to be precise and control the ball. If you serve, the moisture from your left hand is probably going to prevent you from putting the correct amount of force on the ball and controlling it precisely. My hands sweat profusely and drying them off is impossible if the playing hall is hot or it is too humid. Literally one second after my hand leaves the towel it is wet again. Going for any kind of precise serve is probably going to result in disaster. One of my first coaches also coached a former women's world champion. I asked the coach what players did when their hands sweat too much. The coach had never seen a player with this problem and had no idea what to suggest.
There's still a few professional players who sweat a lot.

This user has no status.
Thank you guys for the answers you gave me, they were really interesting imo. I personally haven't used grip tape for a long time, just roughly for a month. Yes, the blade became less responsive, and I had to get used to it, but i'm certainly not at a top level, only around top150-200 HU u21. I personally wanted to try it out so i can experience the blade like this, and so that i can decide wether i prefer it or not. So far i'm convinced that I wont be using this for competitions or in serious play, but it was an experience nontheless.

Last edited:
I think he really liked the blade that is why he used it in the tournaments but probably for commercial reasons he had to put tape on it.

Ah, I see.

It is part of a free test run over at a German forum, and people are discussing whether no-one wants to try it because Nuytinck is not such a well-known player.

If that logic rang true, who could blame BTY and Donic naming blade after blade Boll this and Ovtcharov that ...

This user has no status.
Thank you guys for the answers you gave me, they were really interesting imo. I personally haven't used grip tape for a long time, just roughly for a month. Yes, the blade became less responsive, and I had to get used to it, but i'm certainly not at a top level, only around top150-200 HU u21. I personally wanted to try it out so i can experience the blade like this, and so that i can decide wether i prefer it or not. So far i'm convinced that I wont be using this for competitions or in serious play, but it was an experience nontheless.

Its just personal preference, if you want to use it and feel more comfort then its your option. but for me i dont need the addiotional grip, just feel great the normal situation.

This user has no status.
My experience tells me that grip tape goes better with all wood / ALC blades with more dwell time. It would lessen the vibration to a certain extent , retaining enough feeling in the game. Ofcourse, the feeling might change with the rubber used.

I use grip tape on my H301. Initial reason was due to the thin handle, makes it more agile for flicks but gets loosened up quickly during strokes. It goes better on this blade and it fits perfectly in my hand. But the same grip tape on my Stiga classic carbon makes it heavy and bulky, lessening flicks. I can still feel my H301 enough in touch play and the best part with the grip tape it absorbs unnecessary vibration when blocking smashes. Anyway, this is my opinion with the grip tape.

This user has no status.
My hands sweat profusely and drying them off is impossible if the playing hall is hot or it is too humid. Literally one second after my hand leaves the towel it is wet again. Going for any kind of precise serve is probably going to result in disaster. One of my first coaches also coached a former women's world champion. I asked the coach what players did when their hands sweat too much. The coach had never seen a player with this problem and had no idea what to suggest.

Have you tried "liquid gym chalk"? Gymnasts, weightlifters and climbers use white chalk powder, but there's also this alcohol-based stuff you can get in a bottle that isn't as messy.