Best way to return long serves on the backhand middle and wide fourhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
People nowadays in my country tend to serve long and fast on the wide backhand forehand and the middle of the table. weak returns induce fast counters making you vulnerable in the rally. moreover , flicking the ball makes it go long as they have less spin. Anyone?

This user has no status.
People nowadays in my country tend to serve long and fast on the wide backhand forehand and the middle of the table. weak returns induce fast counters making you vulnerable in the rally. moreover , flicking the ball makes it go long as they have less spin. Anyone?

it depends if its no spin, backspin, topspin, sidespin, and also depends on your bat setup !

Like for all receives you should first be able to spot quickly which of the above it is, because if you spot it wrong, then its very likely you are going to miss your receive or make a weak one at best.

As a general advice, if you have trouble receiving long serves, it might mean you are too close to the table in your waiting position, go back by 10 cm.
If you're playing with backside rubbers, if the serve is nospin / topspin / sidespin then I think its better to take the ball early off the bounce, you adjust your bat angle to the spin of the ball. You don't need a big swing, the incoming ball has enough speed. So just a compact stroke and focus on timing and placement.
If the ball is backspin its more tricky, try to be in position quickly with your legs, and arm for a good swing, but try to (slow) loop the ball, not a big drive. you can try to pivot and use your FH as well. Usually at our level, the backspin serve is slower than other serves. If the ball looks too difficult to loop, there is always the possibility to push it back but get ready for a strong attack from the opponent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
it depends if its no spin, backspin, topspin, sidespin, and also depends on your bat setup !

Like for all receives you should first be able to spot quickly which of the above it is, because if you spot it wrong, then its very likely you are going to miss your receive or make a weak one at best.

As a general advice, if you have trouble receiving long serves, it might mean you are too close to the table in your waiting position, go back by 10 cm.
If you're playing with backside rubbers, if the serve is nospin / topspin / sidespin then I think its better to take the ball early off the bounce, you adjust your bat angle to the spin of the ball. You don't need a big swing, the incoming ball has enough speed. So just a compact stroke and focus on timing and placement.
If the ball is backspin its more tricky, try to be in position quickly with your legs, and arm for a good swing, but try to (slow) loop the ball, not a big drive. you can try to pivot and use your FH as well. Usually at our level, the backspin serve is slower than other serves. If the ball looks too difficult to loop, there is always the possibility to push it back but get ready for a strong attack from the opponent.

thanks alot! they serve usually side spin i think standing to close is on the spot. the thing is i cant pivot attack as my fourhands not a winner

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
There's no real answer to that. Any serve of any spin can get to your backhand and each serve you answer differently.

if it's fast with little spin counter it into their body, or do a 30% power topspin with your thumb pressed against the blade for extra control (like ma long).

But really, long serves are the ones with the most spin, and since it can be any spin, who knows.