Advice on replacement for Rozena

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I am currently using Butterfly Rozena rubbers on both sides of a DHS 301. I use the backhand a lot to block, flick, push and loop and the rozena is great. My forehand is more limited and I can only loop and my drive and short game is weak. I am due to replace my rubbers and would like to try a forehand rubber with decent control (I am only an average player) but more height (is this what you call throw?) to my loops to keep them on the table. The Rozena is great for blocking but I think the ball goes quite straight and other players seem to get more of a curve to their loops.

What would you recommend to get more loop on my forehand? Would this rubber have more spin than the rozena when serving. I have a reasonable backhand and forehand pendulum serve. Any advice would be appreciated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I am currently using Butterfly Rozena rubbers on both sides of a DHS 301. I use the backhand a lot to block, flick, push and loop and the rozena is great. My forehand is more limited and I can only loop and my drive and short game is weak. I am due to replace my rubbers and would like to try a forehand rubber with decent control (I am only an average player) but more height (is this what you call throw?) to my loops to keep them on the table. The Rozena is great for blocking but I think the ball goes quite straight and other players seem to get more of a curve to their loops.

What would you recommend to get more loop on my forehand? Would this rubber have more spin than the rozena when serving. I have a reasonable backhand and forehand pendulum serve. Any advice would be appreciated.

Change your technique, not your rubbers. Rozena is an excellent rubber for everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Personally i would change blades to a allwood blade, probably Off- , because 301 is pretty fast and it has a stiff and precise feeling,while a allwood blade on the other hand provides more control, and more importantly better feedback on how the ball hit the racket, which make sit easier to connect a good contact point of the bat wit the ball with a good shoot for subconcius memory(this might be pseudo science, but with all wood one feel the way the ball is hit more clearly) . Until 2000+ the more consistent player wins, not as i had to painfully discover the most powerful, or fittest or fastest player.
Another option coul dbe to stick with your blade as it fits your backhand well, and switch to Hurricane 3 clone with newer competitior with a more actice sponge(Tibhar K1, Joola Golden Tango, Vega China), which would help with short game, and has a high throw angle, and could make your drives more controlled and spinnier/loopier.

Reactions: Ioiettino
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

I tend to think equipment changes can help, but only if the problem is an equipment problem. Raising the skill level would be the obvious solution, but then again, if your equipment severely outguns your ability level, it will actually hamper your learning. You'll be holding back your strokes, hitting without confidence and without commitment, and your material will give you little to no tactile feedback when you do so.

Maybe your problem is an equipment problem, maybe not. Your skill level is limited, so you say, and perhaps too limited to control your current combo of DHS H301 and Rozena.

Let's see. The H301 is a very, very fast blade, the target demographic of which being very limited. Advanced skill levels only.

Rozena is a fast rubber designed for controllability. Less spin-sensitive, and (hence) less spinny than a few others out there. It should be usable at lower than advanced skill levels already.

If you're looking towards your equipment, you may benefit by toning down on the rubbers (by using Vega Intro, for example, or a thinner Rozena), but I'd hedge my bet on moving away from an OFF+ composite blade (even though the H301 is an inner layer type) to a 5-ply ALL+ (or, at best, an OFF-) instead. Let's say, a Yasaka Sweden Extra.

Use that. Train. Get help in training, by involving other players willing to make the effort. Try finding a good coach. Raise your level. And once your weaknesses in your short game and FH loops improve, you might want to give that H301 another look.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I tend to think equipment changes can help, but only if the problem is an equipment problem. Raising the skill level would be the obvious solution, but then again, if your equipment severely outguns your ability level, it will actually hamper your learning. You'll be holding back your strokes, hitting without confidence and without commitment, and your material will give you little to no tactile feedback when you do so.

Maybe your problem is an equipment problem, maybe not. Your skill level is limited, so you say, and perhaps to limited to control your current combo of DHS H301 and Rozena.

Let's see. The H301 is a very, very fast blade, the target demographic of which being very limited. Advanced skill levels only.

Rozena is a fast rubber designed for controllability. Less spin-sensitive, and (hence) less spinny than a few others out there. It should be usable at lower then advanced skill levels already.

If you're looking towards your equipment, you may benefit by toning down on the rubbers (by using Vega Intro, for example, or a thinner Rozena), but I'd hedge my bet on moving away from an OFF+ composite blade (even though the H301 is an inner layer type) to a 5-ply ALL+ (or, at best, an OFF-) instead. Let's say, a Yasaka Sweden Extra.

Use that. Train. Get help in training, by involving other players willing to make the effort. Try finding a good coach. Raise your level. And once your weaknesses in your short game and FH loops improve, you might want to give that H301 another look.

On point!

This user has no status.
It sounds more like a skill issue than an equipment issue. I highly recommend improving FH drive before FH loop. I made the mistake of learning to brush before learning how to hit properly. I'm still in the process of fixing that. Remember every stroke is a combination of hitting and brushing. Hitting is the basis of every stroke, while brushing is only there to add spin and consistency to the stroke to ensure the ball lands on the table. Learn how to hit properly, then add brushing. If your stroke is mostly brushing, then your FH shots will have neither speed nor spin. I think H301 has pretty good feeling for a fast carbon blade. It's not as controllable as most 5-ply allwood blades, but it's not a bad blade for developing skills. Good luck on taming H301 and Rozena.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
First: play as often as possible.
Then: if you need to change the FH rubber, for wear or whatever, go from there.

I am tempted to suggest a Loki GTX on the FH (I have just put it on one of my H301s). This is feeling, to me, like a good mix of Tenergy and Hurricane 3, a little easier to play than H3, but less springy than 05. It does require that you put a little more effort in, and is less forgiving than Tenergy on a FH loop, but will require that you develop the stroke, and then reward you.
The only problem is that almost no one else has experience with Loki yet, and availability is not widespread. But it is a good quality rubber, with a reasonable price. I paid about £22.00. And it will give you some idea of whether you can play H3 at a later date.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
+1 on the blade being too fast. To get spin you have to swing fast. If you are afraid your ball will go 20 feet past the table you won't swing fast, and you will tense up in a counter-productive attempt to control the ball.

Rozena is not the problem, because while not the spinniest rubber in the world, it is very very spinny. Video would say for sure, but my guess is you don't swing that fast and loose because the h301 delivers some unpleasant results if your timing is off. And everyone's timing is off a lot of the time. If you use a slowish blade you almost have to swing fast or the ball just doesn't go.

Bad timing will still produce bad results with an All+ blade, but it's much more forgiving. And at the amateur level forgiving is a highly desirable property in a setup.

This user has no status.
First: play as often as possible.
Then: if you need to change the FH rubber, for wear or whatever, go from there.

I am tempted to suggest a Loki GTX on the FH (I have just put it on one of my H301s). This is feeling, to me, like a good mix of Tenergy and Hurricane 3, a little easier to play than H3, but less springy than 05. It does require that you put a little more effort in, and is less forgiving than Tenergy on a FH loop, but will require that you develop the stroke, and then reward you.
The only problem is that almost no one else has experience with Loki yet, and availability is not widespread. But it is a good quality rubber, with a reasonable price. I paid about £22.00. And it will give you some idea of whether you can play H3 at a later date.

For what it's worth, you can buy Loki rubbers on Aliexpress. I've not bought any Loki rubbers on Aliexpress, so I can't say if they are genuine. But all the DHS rubbers and 729 Friendship rubbers I bought on Aliexpress are genuine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Thanks for some great advice. I may be blaming the equipment when it is my technique that needs to improve. I agree that I may be holding back on my loops as I am afraid that the ball will fly off the table but that means I am not putting enough spin on the loop so it still goes long!

When I get it right the combo of Rozena on 301 is fantastic and I get applauded for killer flicks, blocks and smashes. I like the suggestion of fitting thinner Rozena rubbers 1.9 or even 1.7 and then building back to 2.1 on both sides as my skills improve.