would a Ryu Seung Min survive in today's table tennis?

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi all,

First of all, I love the way that JPenholders play, RSM was one of my favorite table tennis players. But after this YOG, that games, that speed, I ask myself if players like Ma Lin(he wasn't jpen but he could put no pressure in the oponent using his RPB), RSM in the best of his shape would survive in today's table tennis, with the current ball and against the current playstyle that everyone plays now(close to the table).

Best Regards,
Eduardo

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através do Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Both RSM and Ma Lin would (still) be world class. I have no doubts about that. Don't know if they would win any significant title, but they certainly would be playing with the other big boys...and since you mentioned todays speed in the sport: I doubt that there is or has been a faster player than RSM.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
RSM would still be world class. And he had his run winning an Olympics where he was on fire.

But would he beat Ma Long, who many consider to be the GOAT or FZD today? Hmm. hard for me to see that.

I think a Jpener could still be world class. Maybe not #1 but world class if they're that good & in their early 20s. I just think that style of game shortens their length of time when they can be truly great with the athletic demands of being a single winged penholder.

That being said, we'll never know. Anybody who is young playing penhold now a days would simply play c-pen and learn how to RPB. With today's style, no reason not to. So if RSM was young all over again, he would have been trained how to play cpen if he were go penhold.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
The game is slower nowadays compared to RSM's days....

It is, yes. Because todays game "suffers" from the lack of speed glue and the use of the plastic ball. Todays players have to be faster, more athletic and hit harder because of the (different) circumstances, i.e. in order to counter the "negative" effects of the plastic ball etc.
I assume eduardo was referring to the athleticism and the hard hitting when he mentioned the speed he observed during the YOG...

Last edited:
Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I show Kaii Yoshida make it up to 32 world ranking in 2015. And 38 in 2016. That's certainly world class.

When was the ITTF plastic ball switch? I'm thinking 2014 going off memory. So it could be done if someone was the right player in their prime.

Yeah you're right, and he's 37 now!

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
It is, yes. Because of the lack of speed glue and the plastic ball. Todays players have to be faster, more athletic and hit harder because of the (different) circumstances, i.e. in order to counter the "negative" effects of the plastic ball etc.
I assume eduardo was referring to the athleticism and the hard hitting when he mentioned the speed he observed during the YOG...

Yeah, was basically that, I know RSM was super athletic, maybe we repair that because he played almost all FH. But maybe could be more difficult to him now because he has less time to react, as players got closer to the table and the ball looses some power while returning to him, making him play also closer to the table and consequentely he would have less time to move to loop the ball from forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
RSM has one of the best footworks in all time
with a slower game today, his footwork might not be even recognised.
RSM doesn't need a backhand, as he can just to a FH throughout lol
I think in today's situation, he can still be in the top 10, or still be Korea's no 1

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, was basically that, I know RSM was super athletic, maybe we repair that because he played almost all FH. But maybe could be more difficult to him now because he has less time to react, as players got closer to the table and the ball looses some power while returning to him, making him play also closer to the table and consequentely he would have less time to move to loop the ball from forehand.

I gather your logic, but that logic is more on playing style, not necessary footworks
as RSM has the best footwork in a long way, I think he will cope with rule changes to suite different styles.
If you put a Wang Hao with RSM's footwork and explosiveness, then that's a winner
but i gather what you are saying - different era then different styles will be different.
Just like comparing Waldner with today - nowadays there is a full on crew that will breakdown Waldners pros and cons and have another crew that will study him inside out. Technology today is different from 20 years ago, and there is still a big change in less speed and spin in today's ball

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Who is faster? RSM or Kim Taek Soo?

hm..
KTS was in the 38mm speed glue era- known as the fastest era when compared to 40 and 40+ days
I would guess KTS is faster?

its kind of silly when we compare TT to other sports
Do you see basketball changing the hoop height/ball size? tennis changing the net height or ball size?
TT has gone through so many changes every 3 to 5 years, that the past 20 years, one can't really compare one generation of players to another - and i'm not takling technology improvements, but rather ITTF enforced rule changes to change the game completely....

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The NBA has talked about raising the hoop height. They have decreased and increased the 3-point line multiple times. They even tried a ball made of synthetic material before players complained it led to injury.

Volleyball and badminton used to last much longer before implementing the rally point system.

It's not only table tennis that has gone through multiple changes.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The NBA has talked about raising the hoop height. They have decreased and increased the 3-point line multiple times.

Volleyball and badminton used to last much longer before implementing the rally point system.

It's not only table tennis that has gone through multiple changes.

so 1 or 2 changes in 20-30 years vs our table tennis change of 1 every few years.
think back 30 years of TT, from 1988 olympics till now, how many times have TT changed
are you saying badminton, volleyball, basketball is comparable?

Jan 2018
Not really. BWF is trying a new service rule right now and tall players are whining. They changed the scoring system multiple times since 2002, from 3x15 to 5x7, then back to 3x15, then 3x21. They wanted to change it again to 5x11 back in May but it was shelved after players complained like Harimoto screamed.