would a Ryu Seung Min survive in today's table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
No doubt he would be at the top even nowadays. A small number of players could face Ryu's speed. JPenholders are unusual but I pray for a newcomer who will change the way of understanding this style, just as Wang Hao did with Chinese penhold. Personally, I loved watching Ryu play, even when he didnt win. Its true that there are lots of new strategies ( mostly shakehanders ) that could make it hard, and idk if he could win important titles. Penholders are the real gods of table tennis, and Ryu is one of the best, if Xu Xin and WCT are giving a lot of war, Ryu would too !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Have you seen a game from late 80s recently? They’re super boring to watch. The rallies last 3 shots mostly. And a lot of errors on serve return.
It’s just better now as a spectator sport.

Yes, there were many boring matches in the 80s, but on the other hand there were also many attractive matches, with different rubbers and styles against one another.
Personally, I’d prefer the old games. The average returns are more nowadays, but the style and rhythm are so monotonous.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Hi all,

First of all, I love the way that JPenholders play, RSM was one of my favorite table tennis players. But after this YOG, that games, that speed, I ask myself if players like Ma Lin(he wasn't jpen but he could put no pressure in the oponent using his RPB), RSM in the best of his shape would survive in today's table tennis, with the current ball and against the current playstyle that everyone plays now(close to the table).

Best Regards,
Eduardo

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através do Tapatalk

I like him very much also. The grip of the whole Korean men’s team nowadays tells you the answer already.