How to recover after few days of consecutive play

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hey everyone,

Yesterday I played my 4th consecutive night of either competition games or training, each of which took a toll on my muscles and joints. In particular, my knees start to have pain in them when I overuse them (I'm on the heavy side, so no surprise there). But I have noticed that if I keep playing everyday, my muscles don't have enough time to recover, and I get tired very soon, and often I start having pains in my shoulder too. Does anyone else have similar problems to mine? If yes, how do you normally deal with it? What kind of home remedies do you think would help to recover as fast as possible?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
after the training while you are still warm you should stretch, especially legs and hips. also work with a foam roller, it helps a lot and i feel so much better the next day. that's what pros do and they train twice each day.
What do you mean with a foam roller? Massage or roll a bottle over the muscles?

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
There's plenty of information about this for other sports, and for sports in general. An old training book I had even had the best ratios of carbs/protein/fat for meals eaten afterwards, and suggested eating about 30 minutes after training.

Generally it seems are able to train harder for TT than other sports. 6 days a week would be an express ticket to overtraining and injury in a lot of sports, without care and discipline.

Reactions: perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
There's plenty of information about this for other sports, and for sports in general. An old training book I had even had the best ratios of carbs/protein/fat for meals eaten afterwards, and suggested eating about 30 minutes after training.

Generally it seems are able to train harder for TT than other sports. 6 days a week would be an express ticket to overtraining and injury in a lot of sports, without care and discipline.

Guess that depends how you play. A cement footed blocker is vastly different from a ma long looping wanna-be!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Yesterday I played my 4th consecutive night of either competition games or training
No sympathy from me. It only gets harder as you get older.
My football coach would say get tough or die.
I bet the CNT players practice much more.
I play 4 times a week for 1.5 to 2 hours. We don't waste time picking up balls. Usually we only need to pick up balls once half way and at the end. I bet I am older and heavier that you. I do other exercise like walking, biking or rowing on the week ends. This is good because I can exercise a full range of motions while watching a movie on the TV.
https://www.waterrower.com

Do not eat anything fatty before a tournament.

I play table tennis therefore I am.
I play table tennis for the health of it.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Man, I play this as an amateur sport for fun. It's not a defining purpose for my existence. I don't wanna get tough or die. I'd rather keep my body healthy than win a game or two. It's good that you're keeping healthy and playing a lot. I play at least 15 hours a week plus 5 hours of training, so it is really taking a toll on me. Honestly, I don't have the energy after working 40 hours a week + 20 hours of table tennis to do any other kind of exercise.

No sympathy from me. It only gets harder as you get older.
My football coach would say get tough or die.
I bet the CNT players practice much more.
I play 4 times a week for 1.5 to 2 hours. We don't waste time picking up balls. Usually we only need to pick up balls once half way and at the end. I bet I am older and heavier that you. I do other exercise like walking, biking or rowing on the week ends. This is good because I can exercise a full range of motions while watching a movie on the TV.
https://www.waterrower.com

Do not eat anything fatty before a tournament.

I play table tennis therefore I am.
I play table tennis for the health of it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Some of this really depends on age and fitness level. How sore someone gets from practice or workout when they are 60 years old and in good physical shape is different from when the person is not in good shape. This would also be different fro someone 50, 40, 30 etc.

But you are talking about knee pain and shoulder pain. Those things talk to the probability that your technique may be part of the problem and you may be doing something in your strokes that is causing damage to knees and shoulder. Not much can fix that aside from fixing the technique that is causing the distress to those areas.

Reactions: perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
This might be true. I put a lot of pressure on my knee when I do lateral movements. I think this is mostly due to weak muscles, but I thought the solution is to keep at it until the muscles are strong enough that I can do clean side to side jumps. As for the shoulder, it is again the footwork that is the problem. In particular, trying to do topspins when not in position puts a lot of tension on the shoulder. I'm in a transitional phase in my technique, moving from "make it work" to "do it correctly", and I think it's taking a toll.

Some of this really depends on age and fitness level. How sore someone gets from practice or workout when they are 60 years old and in good physical shape is different from when the person is not in good shape. This would also be different fro someone 50, 40, 30 etc.

But you are talking about knee pain and shoulder pain. Those things talk to the probability that your technique may be part of the problem and you may be doing something in your strokes that is causing damage to knees and shoulder. Not much can fix that aside from fixing the technique that is causing the distress to those areas.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I train TT 3-4 times a week and go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I'm still relatively young but to help me recover i use some supplements. You can try creatine, it will help you to have more energy during training and a better recovery. Fish oil, or other omega 3/6/9 supplements are great for the joints and you will feel the results after a few weeks. Also, a good sleep is very important and ZMA can help you with that, it is basically a magnesium and and zinc supplement that will help you have a deeper sleep and also boosts the libido.

Reactions: dominus7 and perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I train TT 3-4 times a week and go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I'm still relatively young but to help me recover i use some supplements. You can try creatine, it will help you to have more energy during training and a better recovery. Fish oil, or other omega 3/6/9 supplements are great for the joints and you will feel the results after a few weeks. Also, a good sleep is very important and ZMA can help you with that, it is basically a magnesium and and zinc supplement that will help you have a deeper sleep and also boosts the libido.

I'm gonna try Creatine for a while to see if it has any positive effects.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Warm up off the table before you start. Walk or jog around, and move all your joints around in circles a few times, especially shoulders, wrists, knees, hips. Bot a big production, should take around 5 minutes. But it's worth the 5 minutes. Warming up fh-fh at the table does basically nothing for your joints.

Reactions: dominus7 and perham