advice for new fh rubber

This user has no status.
Hey folks,

im looking to replace my sunnysix7 fh rubber for the time being. The sunnysix7 is pretty much a hurricane 3 national rubber and very tacky.
I have two main reasons to replace them:

1. I am too lazy to boost them
2. i need sth that is easier to smash with

while i love the topspin play of my setup, it is of little use to me in actual play. As i started league playing in germany just midway through last season my rating is still pretty low (1300) and my opponents are likewise.
My biggest issue is the smash game, as 90% of points in my case come down to opponents returning me a high deadball, since they cant jude the spin properly and me smashing ball either deadly in the coner or its just going long. This however is exactly where i am still struggling quiet a bit to get consistency with the sunnysix7.
What I am looking for isa rubber that will still allow me to execute proper full stroke on my topspin (to which i am completely addicted;)), while giving me more security on my smashes.
What is currently on my radar as possible replacements:

Cornilleau Target Pro 50°
BTY Tenergy 05H (if its available soon)
Andro Rasanter 50°
Gewo Hype XT 50°
Tibhar MXS

Any feedback on other alternatives or my suggestions is highly appreciated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Not an expert but chinese rubber type are supposed to not be very good to smash so it might be normal to struggle. What do you use on your bh ? Ive heard that chinese player just flip their bat and use the backhand (tensor) rubber to fh smash[/QUOTE
I agree that they do that. Coach Emratich has a video made on this. You could browse that on youtube

Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
my bh rubber is like a hybrid between chinese and euro rubbers and i do switch them for really high balls, but that rarely happens.
What is crucial to me are those shallow balls that are high enough to smash, but dont give you enough time to switch your racket side.
If you watch the chinese pros they usually switch to their softer rubber after the second or third smash, it never gets that far for me, as i will have either made the point by then or just missed the first one ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Hi, I think the rubbers you listed require a pretty high level and technique. Speaking of what I know best, I find Rakza 7 excellent for smashes and counters. I know a lot of people love Xiom Vega Pro. Those of course are still medium-hard sponges, in case you don't want too big a difference with your Chinese rubbers. Otherwise Rakza 7 Soft, Xiom Vega Europe or Nittaku Fastarc S-1 could be good options but I gave up on the latter as it would sometimes let me down on hard shots. That is only on full body hits and I was playing the "thick" 1.8mm version, which did marvels for all play over the table and touch shots in particular, but lacked in grip (the same thing that made it so safe) due to both soft sponge and long-ish pips. Excellent fishing however and people have asked me, based on serve return, whether I was playing antispin. You can't have it all...
R7 Soft and Vega E would probably give stronger opening loops, while a tad less stable - which regular Rakza 7 and Vega Pro would be, but with added speed and requiring more engagement.
By the way, the blade is also something you should look at, and even first.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
AFAIK you’re right to think that non tacky rubbers are a good platform to build a game that involves seamless transition between smash and the more spin focused offensive shots. From what I’ve seen, for non expert players coming from tacky rubbers, there’s a big learning challenge that comes with the more seamless transitions between spin heavy and speed heavy shots (and everything in between): needing much more control to get the spin/speed ratio you want on loops.

^^ Heads up! ^^ IMO that’s a big learning challenge, but the payoff can be worth it.

Setting all that aside, I’ve been extremely happy with MX-S for a spinny non tacky rubber that is extremely predictable when it comes to speed (and spin): there’s a very intuitive, linear relation between the speed/angle of the racket/ball coming in, and the speed/spin that comes out. (Do a search on TTD and mytt forums for better descriptions of mx-s. From my experience with the rubber, NextLevel’s descriptions after he revisited the rubber (in 2017-18 I think?) are especially helpful.) That might be a great place to go if you’re up for the challenge of building control over speed/spin ratio that will come with non tacky rubbers.

(Nexy Karis M and M+ get praise for this kind of predictability (with high spin potential) as well, and I found that to be true with my experience of Karis M. My initial reason for preferring MX-S came down to price - with the discounts you can find on MX-S, it ends up being quite a bit cheaper. But Karis M is a bit more forgiving in terms of technique.)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
We could say... get something kinda hardish and low throw... that will help the smash. Calibra LT is right up that alley and easy to find in Europe.

Still, a different rubber is different and easier to do some stuff, and harder to do other stuff.

An important factor in equipment selection is understanding what one does well in the most important strokes that contribute to keeping it on the table and finishing points. When you understand those, you select a rubber that is middle of the road that makes it easier to do those with control. Whatever that is.

I am not gunna say a TTR 1300 doesn't know what is important to them, but there are also many TTR 1600-1800 that still haven't discovered that yet.

If you get a rubber better at smashing, it might suck at the things that got you to the smash opportunity.

It might not hurt to look at why you miss points on smash opportunities... likely, it was something along the lines of not reading the ball, not being in position, or missing the timing.

This user has no status.
We could say... get something kinda hardish and low throw... that will help the smash. Calibra LT is right up that alley and easy to find in Europe.

Still, a different rubber is different and easier to do some stuff, and harder to do other stuff.

An important factor in equipment selection is understanding what one does well in the most important strokes that contribute to keeping it on the table and finishing points. When you understand those, you select a rubber that is middle of the road that makes it easier to do those with control. Whatever that is.

I am not gunna say a TTR 1300 doesn't know what is important to them, but there are also many TTR 1600-1800 that still haven't discovered that yet.

If you get a rubber better at smashing, it might suck at the things that got you to the smash opportunity.

It might not hurt to look at why you miss points on smash opportunities... likely, it was something along the lines of not reading the ball, not being in position, or missing the timing.

I think the biggest reason why i miss those shots is my motivation and as a result my footwork or better the lack of my footwork. In training i play against ppl that have 1600rating and i consider myself on the same level playingwise.
I don't struggle to win against players with lower rating its rather me getting sloppy.
Games that i should win 11-2 turn out to be 11-9 victories as i just miss too many "easy shots" e.g. little spin and floating well above the net.
To me this is not about going away from tacky rubbers forever, but rather finding sth. that makes it more convenient to play against players that give me a lot of these easy shots.
Im pretty confident, that once my rating goes up and i start playing actual league matches where dead and high floating balls are rarely occuring im going back to playing my tacky chinese style rubbers. Though im still reluctant about the boosting part of it.