How to make table tennis video with non-play edited out ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Many of the table tennis videos on youtube are edited, so they only have actual play.

What is the best/easiest/cheapest program to use making these videos (cutting out the non-playing part)?

I made the video with an i-phone and are using a windows computer.

On Windows, VirtualDub comes to mind as a real classic. There are others available though, such as AViSynth etc. alternativeto is your friend. https://alternativeto.net/software/avisynth/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Probably right about the in-built Windows program. I use Videoredo, which I've had for maybe 13 years, from back in the day when an mpg editor was a big deal. I use it mainly for TV stuff, and there is nothing better that I know of. Although, it is not free, and there are regular version updates (not too regular, I started with V3, and am now on V5. V6 is due soon, with 4k HEVC 265 editing). These updates cost about $25, but the initial cost is higher. It does smart editing around the cut points, amking the process very quick, only a couple of minutes for a full length HD movie, and the final product is identical in quality as most of the footage is frame copied rather than re-muxed.

Edit: The after-sales service via the website and the forum is a model for all online companies, and makes the cost worthwhile.

Last edited:
I really appriciate all your help, but boy; this is SOOOO much more difficult than I thought.

I have now tried both Openshot and I also found out that davinci resolve still has a free version.

On both Openshot and Davinci I still haven't been able to import the .mov-video with normal fps (frames per second) and the sound is insanely bad; when playing the video in the preview. This really doesn't matter, since I have not been able to find out how to CUT a sequence out of a video yet; and that is after seing dozens of youtube-videos on the subject.

I am in shock that such a simple thing, is so difficult....

Maybe buying i-movie and do it on the i-phone is the only option; if not wanting to spend 10's of hours on it ??

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
If the video is not very huge in size, just upload the whole thing onto YouTube and trim it in the Creator Studio.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I think openshot tries to replicate the functionality of super expensive commercial tools (like adobe Primiere) and because of that it has a steep learning curve. There's also AviDemux which is simpler since it's a single track editor. ;)

I really appriciate all your help, but boy; this is SOOOO much more difficult than I thought.

I have now tried both Openshot and I also found out that davinci resolve still has a free version.

On both Openshot and Davinci I still haven't been able to import the .mov-video with normal fps (frames per second) and the sound is insanely bad; when playing the video in the preview. This really doesn't matter, since I have not been able to find out how to CUT a sequence out of a video yet; and that is after seing dozens of youtube-videos on the subject.

I am in shock that such a simple thing, is so difficult....

Maybe buying i-movie and do it on the i-phone is the only option; if not wanting to spend 10's of hours on it ??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
The best program, I could find so far, to edit table tennis videos is this:
https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-video-editor.htm

If you buy the full version it even saves the edited video without re- encoding!

Since editing out the passages in-between rallies requires a lot of cuts, this program handles this very well since you can mark "in" and "out" by simply pressing "m".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
Don't worry about "missing out" on the old Windows Movie Maker. It would compress your final video; sometimes making it quite pixelated. There was no option to disable the "feature."

I'm not familiar with AviDemux, but am very happy with VideoPad Video Editor. It isn't free, but it's inexpensive. I just saw there was a big sale, but it ends tomorrow:

https://secure.nch.com.au/cgi-bin/register.exe?software=videopad

I have made Table Tennis Videos with it.