Blade faster than Timo Boll Spirit

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
dude, 290 is too fast if you are coming from a Timo Boll Spirit. Try to get the 145 or 190 instead. 190 has lower throw while 145 has higher throw.

I’ve gotta be honest with you, based on the info presented (short pips, video, 1st league, coached Truls) I think he can use whatever he wants.

Despite the statement that TB ZLC is not much faster than Spirit and ALC, it is. It is much faster. Super ZLC has more Zylon but the ZJK SZLC I tried was NOT as fast as the regular ZLCs I have tried.

TB T5000 and TB ZLC will both be a good notch faster than the Spirit and they will have the Koto top ply so they may be what you want.

But if they are not fast enough, then you want to try Primorac Carbon, Schlager Carbon (if you can find one) or Garaydia T5000. They all have a Hinoki or Cypress top ply. And I think the Hinoki top ply may not work as well for direct contact.

So, ultimately I think you are better off with the harder top ply of the TBs. TB T5000 is fastest of the TBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Lula, you might have played against their best player, Magnus Molin. He is the younger guy with hair on the red team in this vid.

Hahahaha! My biggest claim to TT fame is to having hit Magnus Molin in his temple during a warm up 1990 (while doing a diagonal warm up with four players sharing a table). The blood just wouldn't stop spraying the venue. His coach was madly upset with me (not to mention his mother). This was my last tournament until 2018.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Have you already maxed out on the power of the rubber ? Meaning why is a faster / more powerful short pips with the same blade not an option ? .. just throwing an idea to the mix ... not an expert on short pips rubbers and you haven't listed yours in your profile .. so just asking ..
Okey, So the ZLC is no difference from ALC? The super ZLC is just tooo expensive. Carbonado seems good, but i do not like the big bulky ST handles but maybe i can go with flared :)

Carbonado again! It do seems lika a good choice! :)

Okey, primorac carbon maybe is an option! Fun facts is that i was Truls coach when he was young :)

Can Adidas really do tabletennis stuff? haha :) I have tried the garaydia ALC and found it faster than the TBS so the ZLC can be a good option! The handle feels so good to :)

Haha, not all the Pros play with short pimple and try to flathit everything. The TBS is okay, but it needs alot of efffort to smash. Regarding my level, here is a video of me smashing forehand. To bad the sound is off, really disturbing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uCrjA8--qg

Okey, will need to look into that one! Never heard of the Sanwei F3 pro!

Okey! I do like the feel off TBS, it is just that i feel that i need more power in the forehand so the Timo Boll ZLC might be the best option. Can the others be to fast so it will be difficult to topspin with the backhand?

Great community this! :D Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate it :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Hahahaha! My biggest claim to TT fame is to having hit Magnus Molin in his temple during a warm up 1990 (while doing a diagonal warm up with four players sharing a table). The blood just wouldn't stop spraying the venue. His coach was madly upset with me (not to mention his mother). This was my last tournament until 2018.

Way to go, Martin!:D:D:D I was involved in a similar accident around that time...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
yes, Garaydia ZLC (hinoki upperlayer) is even faster than Garaydia ALC. Garaydia ZLC is about the same speed as Adidas C500. But C500 has Limba upperlayer

Okay, i like the Garaydia ALC so the ZLC might be a good alternative.

Also try Xiom Zeta Offensive + carbon. Koto outer ply with carbon aramid. It is faster than tbs.

Never thought about xiom! Will look into to that to!

Most of the Yinhe T Series carbons are right up the alley for your specs, they still make a lot of them and in the past, they incubated those suckas like rabbits, so you should have zero problem finding you a T8, a T10, a T2 or and T series Carbon.

You could also ask Speedplay about the Schildkrot 900...

Review 2/3 the way down and also later... http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5437

https://tabletennis-reviews.com/the-schildkrot-review-the-ultimate-chinese-weapon/

Okey, never heard of these! will check it out!

Lula, you might have played against their best player, Magnus Molin. He is the younger guy with hair on the red team in this vid.

No, i havent. He is a really good player! beast when he was younger i think, should have been alot better in my opinion.

Galaxy T4s is a smashing monster. Too fast for me.
I still keep Palio TNT 1, which is a little bit slower, but is a smashing hammer too.
Very fast especially paired with tensors, but not suitable for anything aside smashing and blocking.

Never heard of that one! Ohh, maybe to fast then, i want to be able to play backhand topspin to haha :)

So cool that you coached Truls!

I think try Carbonado 290. A lot of the other speed option blades are 3 ply with hinoki outer and feel a lot more different than the Boll ALC. I think this blade will have the most similar feel whilst being significantly faster. Boll ZLC is faster but not by as much. You also aren't a pops out smasher and that thing can loop like a beast whereas Schlager Carbon etc struggles to loop.

Yeah, but it was when he vas very young! A funny thing is that if i had seen that he hold his racket as he do today, i would have corrected it. Lucky, that i did not haha.

Everyone seems to really like the carbonado 290! im becoming excited about it! But i dont like the ST handle of stiga :(

Check ttex as they are having a clearance sale atm, all Carbonados for cheap.

Hello! Hej! jag såg det! Man blir ju sugen på att klicka hem en :)

i think you should go for the carbonado 290 or if you have a very high budget go for either of the the super zlc

Carbonado again! must be a very good blade!! :) To expensive the super ZLC. Just crazy.

dude, 290 is too fast if you are coming from a Timo Boll Spirit. Try to get the 145 or 190 instead. 190 has lower throw while 145 has higher throw.

Okay, i just want fast for the forehandsmash. Im a little concerned that topspin with backhand will be difficult with a fast blade and that the low throw will make smashing not safe since i get almost no topspin there.

190 is barely faster though and this guy seems to want speed speed speed. I bet if he tried 190 he will be like nah still not fast enough.

I’ve gotta be honest with you, based on the info presented (short pips, video, 1st league, coached Truls) I think he can use whatever he wants.

Despite the statement that TB ZLC is not much faster than Spirit and ALC, it is. It is much faster. Super ZLC has more Zylon but the ZJK SZLC I tried was NOT as fast as the regular ZLCs I have tried.

TB T5000 and TB ZLC will both be a good notch faster than the Spirit and they will have the Koto top ply so they may be what you want.

But if they are not fast enough, then you want to try Primorac Carbon, Schlager Carbon (if you can find one) or Garaydia T5000. They all have a Hinoki or Cypress top ply. And I think the Hinoki top ply may not work as well for direct contact.

So, ultimately I think you are better off with the harder top ply of the TBs. TB T5000 is fastest of the TBs.

I really want something similar to the Spirit since i really like it, just need more speed oon the Forehand. Thinking about the ZLC and t5000. Seems like really goood blade. Im a little afraid that the throw will be to low thou.

Haha, that is called tactics! I think you need to make your swing a little shorter haha :)

Have you already maxed out on the power of the rubber ? Meaning why is a faster / more powerful short pips with the same blade not an option ? .. just throwing an idea to the mix ... not an expert on short pips rubbers and you haven't listed yours in your profile .. so just asking ..

Goood thinking!! I will do it first! Try a harder backhand rubber, is the Mantra good? But i really like the short pimple, but i think i need a newer one. It is no inbuilt glue effect, they boost them at the factory so it might have gone away.

Which Adidas blade? The Strike Carbon is a good option because it is very fast but has good control. It is slower than the 290. Probably the level of Primorac Carbon.

I have not learned to trust Adidas equipment yet haha, but i will look into it.

Once again, thanks for all the help! It is amazing how much knowledge everyone have and willingness to help :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Rakza PO has got factory boosting. Should be really fast.

One of my team mates (>2000 Swedish ranking) replaced T05 with Mantra H some months ago and he said that the switch was problem free. Maybe useful info if you have played with T05.

Hej! Okey, i have never played with Tenergy. I think it is way to expensive. Then i will proably test Mantra for my backhand. I think rakza X soft, which i have now is a little to soft.

I have tried Rakza PO, i think it is to soft. But, Hey its works for Mattias Falck so maybe i should try it again :) I also find it interesting that he plays with Yasaka Soft Carbon. I think the blade should be to slow for the short pimple, but maybe he focus more on his good backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
How thick is you ALC? How much does it weigh?

I have an ALC that is >6mm thick and weighs 95 g. This thing has a lot more power than a 5.7mm, 83 g ALC.

In your situation I would also take selection of blade thickness and wheigt into consideration. This gives you many options:

1) Get a heavier and thicker ALC.

2) If you decide to go for ZLC then make shure that it is at least as thick as your ALC and weighs as much! Maybe even get a ZLC that is heavier and thicker than your ALC.

3) If you decide to go for T5000 then make shure that it is at least as thick as your ALC and weighs as much! Maybe even get a T5000 that is heavier and thicker than your ALC.

4) Get a totally different, faster blade which probably needs more adapting to (Primo Carbon,...)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Slower wood blades allow one to hit harder to counter at the table... but have no real power to put away a slow ball.

OP would be best suited with a blade that has a little similar feel and more top end. He is likely skilled enough to operate the Schlager Carbon, the Primorac Carbon, or even Sardius/Gergely.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The problem with changing equipment to something that does one task easier... is that it may make another harder.

If the player has enough touch and skill, that player can adjust. OP can adjust for sure.

Some chose a similar equipment and never adjust their touch and consistency for other shots they often use... which really keeps their playing level and development down.

OP obviously has enough level and skill to be able to judge if his new equipment will ultimately work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks for all the help! I think im going to try the Carbonado 290, garydia t5000 or the timo boll t5000. But i do not like the ST handle of the siga and have trouble finding the timo boll t5000. Anyone know where i can find one in europe? or even a used one?

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You can get the Jhang Jike T5000 off+? I believe it's the same composition as the Timo Boll version?

Okey! Thanks! Will look into that. Thought that all Zhang Jike blades cost a fortune but this one seems not so expensive :)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Timo Boll ZLC (or sZLC) is just a bit faster than ALC. T5000 is a lot faster. Of course, zylon blades are pricey.

Or as other people mentioned, you could also get the ZJK versions. The choice depends entirely on which handle shape you prefer. Ironically, the ZJK blades have a handle shape and weight balance that might feel more familiar to someone coming from a TB Spirit.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
There are many TB T5000 for sale on ebay, but they're standard Butterfly prices since they're new.

Thanks for all the help! I think im going to try the Carbonado 290, garydia t5000 or the timo boll t5000. But i do not like the ST handle of the siga and have trouble finding the timo boll t5000. Anyone know where i can find one in europe? or even a used one?

Thanks!