How do you realize if your best play is shakehand or penholder?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hi buddies, may be it sound foolish but, I've been playing as shakehand and yesterday I tried to play as penholder and I was surprisingly more consistent with the rpb than with my bh as shakehand, I can place more exactly, so I am thinking because when I was newbie I just took the blade as shakehand, so fee free to express your opinion, advantage, disadvantages about them including the injuries tendencies. Thanks.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Here in my club, begineers are often encouraged to try a bit both shakehand and penhold grip on the firts sessions to see what is more natural to them, so they chan choose what feels better. Here in Brazil there is a high number of people that prefer to play penhold (chinese or japanese penhold) when compared to other countries based on some videos/comments I saw, but shakehand is still the majority.

I played a bit with RPB (only 1 month), so I will give my 2 cents here from a begineer's point of view:

Advantages:
- easier to spin the ball and easier to attack in general
- penhold grip gives more freedom to wrist

Disadvantages:
- I felt pain on my fingers/wrist after every session, racket felt too heavy to play with rubbers on both sides (maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it, if I kept playing RBP for some more months maybe I could feel less/no pain after some months, I don't know...)
- I personally found more difficult to block. Racket angle to block was akward / non natural to me.

The best advice is what Carl said. If you want to try, then go for it!
I don't play RPB anymore, but the time I tried to play was without a doubt very fun and exciting! Learning new things about TT helped me to keep high my interest on TT and to keep training!

Reactions: dominus7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hi buddies, may be it sound foolish but, I've been playing as shakehand and yesterday I tried to play as penholder and I was surprisingly more consistent with the rpb than with my bh as shakehand, I can place more exactly, so I am thinking because when I was newbie I just took the blade as shakehand, so fee free to express your opinion, advantage, disadvantages about them including the injuries tendencies. Thanks.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

I hope you are at the beginner's level, cause in another case it that should be a very odd feeling...