Can the USA grow the sport

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Just a note: the fall tournament in Pittsburgh this year got sold out more than a month (!) before the start date.

Captain Obvious here: I guess Pittsburgh needs to hold more tournaments or make existing ones 'bigger', if financially feasible.

Edit: raising prices is another option :cool:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Captain Obvious here: I guess Pittsburgh needs to hold more tournaments or make existing ones 'bigger', if financially feasible.

True, but this particular series (two tourneys a year) is ran by a non-profit organization with limited resources. A good question is why there is no full-time TTC there. The answer I got was that at some point there was one full-time club, but it lacked players because it was cheaper to play in "free" clubs that were ran by volunteers at local churches/schools/community centers.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
True, but this particular series (two tourneys a year) is ran by a non-profit organization with limited resources. A good question is why there is no full-time TTC there. The answer I got was that at some point there was one full-time club, but it lacked players because it was cheaper to play in "free" clubs that were ran by volunteers at local churches/schools/community centers.

Yup. Sacramento market is exactly like this. For years, all the tt action centered on going to a different school gym in the metro area each day for 2 hrs or so of league play.

There are two full time clubs that popped up in the last 2 yrs here in Sacramento... and both have struggled with the dynamic of the market behavior.

Simply put, people in the market are not very inclined to pay $50 to $60 a month to play in the same club every day. it could be that many feel it is boring, or don't care about a club culture, or the market likes to bar hop daily for leagues... Market is tough here locally. Different in Bay Area, more foreigners and a few Americans inclined to get their kids or self to train at a club.

I don't get it myself, as the people in the market pay $5 to $8 a day to play like this 4-5 times a week... Over a month, that is a lot of TT fees ($80 $120) and fuel cost ($50-$250). The costs for playing at same club every day is easily half to 1/4 of this, but everyone likes to move around.

On Friday, there is a Russian Church that has TT from 7 to 7:30, a break for the Word and Pizza, then around 8:15 TT again for 2-3 hrs. There are a number of people who show up at 8 for the free TT action.

That is the local behavior here... It is darned difficult to get enough players to show up daily to make a club work out. Rent isn't cheep.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
In rural America, there are lots of people with tables at their houses playing recreational ping pong with family and friends. They are just not serious enough to take it to the next level. They won't spend a $100 month on ping pong. They are into other activities like going to the lake, BBQ's, picnics, card playing, family movie night, watching football, basketball, baseball, etc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Yup. Sacramento market is exactly like this. For years, all the tt action centered on going to a different school gym in the metro area each day for 2 hrs or so of league play.

There are two full time clubs that popped up in the last 2 yrs here in Sacramento... and both have struggled with the dynamic of the market behavior.

Simply put, people in the market are not very inclined to pay $50 to $60 a month to play in the same club every day. it could be that many feel it is boring, or don't care about a club culture, or the market likes to bar hop daily for leagues... Market is tough here locally. Different in Bay Area, more foreigners and a few Americans inclined to get their kids or self to train at a club.

I don't get it myself, as the people in the market pay $5 to $8 a day to play like this 4-5 times a week... Over a month, that is a lot of TT fees ($80 $120) and fuel cost ($50-$250). The costs for playing at same club every day is easily half to 1/4 of this, but everyone likes to move around.

On Friday, there is a Russian Church that has TT from 7 to 7:30, a break for the Word and Pizza, then around 8:15 TT again for 2-3 hrs. There are a number of people who show up at 8 for the free TT action.

That is the local behavior here... It is darned difficult to get enough players to show up daily to make a club work out. Rent isn't cheep.

I guess everyone's circumstance is different - may be 'club' #1 is close to work and you can sneak in a session midweek, while 'club' #2 is more reachable from home and is meeting on the weekend, while 'club' #3 is where your good buddy/training partner goes to etc.

I'm fortunate to live 12 min away from club that is open 7 days a week and always has players there, so it's a no-brainer for me to go there 99% of the time. I know for sure some club mates play at other places quite a bit.

So, yes, paying monthly fee at ONE place is usually cheaper, but you give up certain flexibility, and extra cost might be worth it to some.

Our club offers 5 hours cards with no time term to expire with 25% discount to the per-hour price, for some players its better than a montly card. Its a matter of club policy to find the best offers suitable for different players. In addition our club organazes 2 days every week tournaments for different levels and once weekly an open tournament plus a montly open, and the entry price for every tournament is as of a one hour visit so many players use to visit just the tournaments - cheaper, longer play and much more interesting.