Does the point count if somebody serves out of turn?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
I was watching the following earlier today and declined to arbitrate because I wasn't sure how to rule. I was a spectator - It was a casual game with no umpires:

After a 7-6 score, the server won a point, making the score 8-6. The players forgot to switch serves and the server won another point. After the point concluded, the receiver realized the error.

Is the server down 6-8 because the error negated the point, or is it indeed 6-9 because the error wasn't noticed until after the point?

What if one side called out the error during the point and wanted to stop play and not count that point, but the other side had an advantage and wanted to continue play - what should happen then?

Last edited:
Q: Is the server down 6-8 because the error negated the point, or is it indeed 6-9 because the error wasn't noticed until after the point?
A: the server down 6-8 because the error negated the point

Q: What if one side called out the error during the point and wanted to stop play and not count that point, but the other side had an advantage and wanted to continue play - what should happen then?
A: Usually we will have a fist fight, who knocks down the opponent may decide how the game should continue

Reactions: Superdragon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Point counts. The correct sequence of play has to be resumed as soon as the error is noticed.
Correct. The rules are quite clear on this:
OUT OF ORDER OF SERVING, RECEIVING OR ENDS
If a player serves or receives out of turn, play shall be interrupted by the
umpire as soon as the error is discovered and shall resume with those players
serving and receiving who should be server and receiver respectively at the
score that has been reached, according to the sequence established at the
beginning of the match and, in doubles, to the order of serving chosen by the
pair having the right to serve first in the game during which the error is
discovered.
If the players have not changed ends when they should have done so, play
shall be interrupted by the umpire as soon as the error is discovered
and shall resume with the players at the ends at which they should be at the score that
has been reached, according to the sequence established at the beginning of
the match.
In any circumstances, all points scored before the discovery of an error shall be reckoned.

says Aging is a killer
If you realise during the point I believe it's a let and you correct the order but if after the point counts. That is the way it is played in tournaments here anyway without umpires or with the players umpiring.

That's the commonsense approach.
If an umpire is present, technically the players can't call a let. But in practice (if a player on realising the error stops play), the umpire will call a let if both players agree. It happens quite regularly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
That's the commonsense approach.
If an umpire is present, technically the players can't call a let. But in practice (if a player on realising the error stops play), the umpire will call a let if both players agree. It happens quite regularly.

The raise a hand method is usually employed in these cases!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
maybe I didn't read enough into it, but if someone serves out of order and after the point is finished and the error is discovered, the player who had to serve if no mistake had been done has to serve 2 times now as he would normally have to, or just 1 time, not to mess up with the original sequence of servises?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
maybe I didn't read enough into it, but if someone serves out of order and after the point is finished and the error is discovered, the player who had to serve if no mistake had been done has to serve 2 times now as he would normally have to, or just 1 time, not to mess up with the original sequence of servises?
Return to original sequence. It may mean someone gets six serves in a row, but that's the way it goes.