Does Handle Size matter?

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
It definitely makes a difference, possibly even a big one.

Your handle has to be big enough so that you can comfortably hold it both very tightly and somewhat loosely with no problem.
Loosely is never a problem, but holding a tiny handle tightly can be difficult.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I am asking because i play right now with a rather big handle(Yinhe W-6, bigger then Viscaria ), and often my grip pressure and especially when playing backhand i cant rotate my wrist without going down the handle. That bugs me if i switch from backhand to forehand. Before that i played with DHS King/301 and the handle was too small especially when playing forehand, so that i switched to W-6(and i practiced less so i switched my play style more control based ) . Anyone with similar experiences?

says Aging is a killer
Adjust handle comfort with KT tape

Small handles are less of a problem than big handles. One can tape the small handles to fit. Many players are now using
https://www.kttape.com/ as it enables finer tuning of the handle shape, and bat balance as a bonus.

Big handles usually require carpentry work to arrive at a comfortable fit

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Loosely is hard with a handle that is either too small or too big. When do you ever hold a bat tightly?

There are times when you are using a shot to deliver maximum force to the ball. When doing such a shot, you stay loose and firm up tight right at impact. If a handle is too small, it is darned difficult to do this right.

This user has no status.
Small handles are less of a problem than big handles. One can tape the small handles to fit. Many players are now using
https://www.kttape.com/ as it enables finer tuning of the handle shape, and bat balance as a bonus.

Big handles usually require carpentry work to arrive at a comfortable fit

This is kinisology tape, people are using this in place of grip tape?

I think hand comfort and gripping the handle is important because if it is not comfortable, it affects your feel and probably psychologically you get annoyed with it that it will affect your game.

Reactions: thomas.pong
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Loosely is hard with a handle that is either too small or too big. When do you ever hold a bat tightly?

I always hold it tightly when I touch the ball, as tight as possible. I want the ball to go as deep into the sponge as possible instead of the impact of the ball pushing the racket back in my hand and thus losing all control, spin and speed.

says Aging is a killer
This is kinisology tape, people are using this in place of grip tape?

Yes. The advantage is that it is lighter than the traditional leather/rubber tape which are really for badminton rackets. With KT you make it as heavy/light or thick as you want. Plus it's so cheap on ebay that it allows for all sort of weight/balance and colour experimentation.
The taping below only added 2g to the bat weight. Tt was foc in that I had already used it on my shoulder.

20181028_183344[1].jpg

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I always hold it tightly when I touch the ball, as tight as possible. I want the ball to go as deep into the sponge as possible instead of the impact of the ball pushing the racket back in my hand and thus losing all control, spin and speed.
Pretty sure you're gonna gain more speed and spin from the mechanics of the wrist and forearm than what you'd supposedly lose kinematically from being loose. Except if you mean momentarily tensing up at impact, then loosening again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

If correctly timed, the loosening gives you the whip effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
yes the handle does impact because if the handle is short, you wont be able to hold the racket with complete grip and it will impact your performance.

Sorry guys. It seems you guys have been fooled over and over again. This is a spammer and may be a bot. Starkcasey has necromanced several old threads and nobody has noticed. And as soon as he/she/it was able to post links, it was posting links to body building, fitness sites. The links were contained in words of quotes from others. As though he didn't make the link.

So many of you responded to these threads as though they were live and not old dead threads. Kind of entertaining. You guys need to look at the dates of posts and threads better. Also, when comments do not fit the context of a thread, it is a giveaway. :)