New rubbers for mid-season -- questions and guidance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I’ve been using Rhyzer 48 on FH and 43 BH (both max) for the past 3 weeks. (Glued to Stiga Infinity).

I’ve been having a lot of issues with forehand pushes. I keep pushing a little too long. Otherwise I like the rubber. I’m looping well with it and blocking is okay.

I’m going to try to devote more of my training time to practice my forehand push. It that doesn’t work I’ll have to downgrade to something less bouncy (which is a shame because I like everything else about the rubber).

Fortunately I’m okay with 43 on the backhand. Maybe because I’m better at backhand pushing or because it’s a little bit tamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does need a lot of feeling to push with forehand. But for me flicking was also quite difficult. With a slower rubber like Baracuda it’s much easier. I miss the raw killing speed of Rhyzer a little bit though.

This user has no status.
It does need a lot of feeling to push with forehand. But for me flicking was also quite difficult. With a slower rubber like Baracuda it’s much easier. I miss the raw killing speed of Rhyzer a little bit though.

I don’t really flick, so that hasn’t been an issue for me.

Are you referring to the banana flick or forehand flick?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Both actually. My forehand flick was never good enough to rely on anyway, but I used to do a fair amount of banana flicks in my matches before getting the Rhyzer. I used it way less since a good push was way safer than a flick with Rhyzer. To be honest, I just think my technique is not up to a level to effectively use Rhyzer. If Baracuda works out, I might go for a Sriver or Mark V next year. :D

This user has no status.
Both actually. My forehand flick was never good enough to rely on anyway, but I used to do a fair amount of banana flicks in my matches before getting the Rhyzer. I used it way less since a good push was way safer than a flick with Rhyzer. To be honest, I just think my technique is not up to a level to effectively use Rhyzer. If Baracuda works out, I might go for a Sriver or Mark V next year. :D

What were you using before Rhyzer? I was using Rhyzm-P on both sides. It has a 45 degree sponge and the speed sort of not too fast / not too slow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I was using Rasant powergrip/Powersponge on a Stratus PW before this setup. I wasn’t very happy with that setup. It was very heavy, and Rasant was just not good. Less spin than both Rhyzer and Baracuda, and worn out in a month. Before that, I had Baracuda and Calibra LT on Yasaka Max Carbon 3D and that setup was quite good; a bit too fast at the time, but now it should be ok for me to handle. I don’t want to change my Hypertouch though. It’s hands down the best blade I’ve ever had.