The FANG grip!?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Ever since a wrist injury severely limited my available playing styles, I have been tinkering around with equipment and grips looking for a viable approach... now, introducing the FANG grip!

I wasn't sure if this style had really been used before (I'm sure some people have tried it over the years, but nothing common enough to name that I found) -- it is similar to a penhold, but the wrist can remain straight when playing shots with the FANG grip. No doubt, it is very restrictive in what it can do. Having said that, so is my wrist!

I use anti-spin on the forehand side, and only use the backhand side for serves -- which work quite well using the punch/hook technique. Using anti-spin on the forehand also limits the kinds of shots I can, or more specifically, need to do! So I never have to angle my blade super closed to block any heavy top spins, nor do I have to open it up very far to return backspin. Everything is either flat, or slightly rotated.

My blade is a supreme speed penhold paddle, which as you can see in image 2, I have sanded down the sides making half-moon shapes to allow my fingers to stay more secure.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of the grip and I was curious if anyone else had tried it before?

Last edited: