US Open 2018

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
US Open match videos are full HD. Really loved watching. But prize money is pathetic . Sometime back it was like 5k $. No wonder why top players give it a miss.

If it was only $5K then it was not even worth the airfare ticket and lodging expenses. In 2018 LA open, the prize was $10K!

Both high seeds Kanak Jha and Jennifer Wu we're knocked out early by unkown Japanese players.

He was not well-known but we in the West Coast knew him well when he got into the semifinal and lost to Ma Jinbao in LA Open 2018. Then he got the revenge and beat Ma in this US Open. The new ranking system favors more frequent players so Kanak was probably over-rated quite a bit compared to the Japanese players.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
I have to say the finals was entertaining. I would say the venue was more than adequate but the new Florida location has thrown off west coast participation. Matt and his crew did a very very good job of the video production. If only ITTF can hire Matt and his fine crew, we would not be left with substandard videos from great events such as the Grand Finals and World Championships. Congrats to Liu Juan and Eugene Wang. As i am from NYISC, i see Liu Juan all the time and she is a site to see when she is training. I do think they can improve on the event for next year, lets hope USATT is already planning ahead. 2 cents added.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was pretty happy with how things went from our side (within courts 1 and 2). I had a sinus and ear infection throughout the tournament, so there were plenty of challenges - especially from the commentary and courtside show part.

Personally I feel the US Open being in July is a better time to attract international players, particularly the ones competing in Europe. Also the open singles prize money could certainly do with a bump up. I hope the event continues to improve, and while a few risks were taken to try new things this time, I would rather they take the risks and adapt from them than not take any risks at all :)

Again, great to hear all the different angles on the event. Have a happy new year all!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Looking back in retrospect 551 entries

The primary difference with past years, was California had only 77 entries this year, down 250-300 from previous years.

California travel cost differential appears to be the major contributing factor, vehicle pooling to Las Vegas vs individual plane fares to Orlando Florida.

Any other changes to playing format etc appears to have had a minimal effect.

Edit addition

California children have Disneyland in the LA Metro, therefore not motivated to go to Disneyworld in Florida.

Last edited: