BH against high bouncing balls

How do you adjust your BH topspin stroke against higher balls? Not smash-high balls, but just balls that may kick up higher around chest level.

Personally, it feels uncomfortable to be hitting the ball with BH at that height, and I cannot generate enough power to hit it with good quality.

jump and hit the ball.. that's how we overcome highball in backhand

Reactions: Andyzhao123
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
How do you adjust your BH topspin stroke against higher balls? Not smash-high balls, but just balls that may kick up higher around chest level.

Personally, it feels uncomfortable to be hitting the ball with BH at that height, and I cannot generate enough power to hit it with good quality.

You either move forward and take it on the bounce, or at least on the rise; or you let it descend. I at least lose power and consistency pretty quickly if I hit Bh-balls not directly before my sternum.

Reactions: Andyzhao123
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
jump and hit the ball.. that's how we overcome highball in backhand

Could you pls film this? Would love to see how you mean this.
[Emoji6]
First time i hear that someone suggests to jump on purpose. There is a reason most coaches i know recommend to have a legit stand and move after shot execution, so I would really love to hear your reasoning.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
[Emoji6]
First time i hear that someone suggests to jump on purpose. There is a reason most coaches i know recommend to have a legit stand and move after shot execution, so I would really love to hear your reasoning.

“Desmond Douglas scissor jump”. It used to be famous, and I’ve sern it with my own eyes. Also: the Persson flyswat.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
“Desmond Douglas scissor jump”. It used to be famous, and I’ve sern it with my own eyes. Also: the Persson flyswat.

Ok, there are always exceptions to rules.
If my memory doesn't trick me they used their forehands though, didn't they?

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
[Emoji6]

you often see backhand oriented player like ZJK does this.. the goal is to catch the top of the ball while it's still raising.
I'm sure you can imagine it :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
its about getting in position early and adjusting if you misread the trajectory of the slow/high ball.

The most common mistake I make is rushing, and standing still waiting for the ball instead of adjusting

normally you have time on a slow / high ball to use your FH. But I will admit, hitting BH smashs is a bit my signature shot. I take my backswing well in advance, wait for the ball and go for it ! if the ball is high but fast, then a block or counter is more appropriate

Reactions: ttdad
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
change your position so it is comfortable to hit the backhand (ie higher centre of gravity to come over the ball or taking a step back or both), or even better, pivot forehand like ryu seungmin for a flashy finish hahaha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
of course, use your FH. BH will never ever be as deadly.

If you are out of position (that should be a common thing), lean to the left and then lean towards the floor and smash it. After the smash you can practically touch the ground with your left arm... I do it quite often and you can see a lot of pros do it with the balls that fly to your chest... If by an accident I find the video, I'll upload it here.

Just be warned, that if your smash isn't deadly, you will be totally out of position for the returning ball... :D

Last edited:
[Emoji6]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzKWLKiVq7o at 2:38

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Easier to generate power on bh high balls if you hit fade type spin (racket pointed up, righties contact the right side of the ball). It lets you get the racket head at ball height while keeping your elbow in a less awkward position.