Trouble with reverse pendulum service to the bh

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Hello i have problem with a deceptive reverse pendulum service to my backhand (on the forehand side i can flip it to the wide forehand,..)

it is mostly heavy topspin, and normaly my backhand flip/chiquita can punish no spin serves or light backspin services with good speed and power, but with this service to my backhand i have trouble to aggressivly return it and when i play the return passive or to aggressive it goes mostly out or my opponent can attack the return on the backhand side with his forehand and i can't prevent him from that.

what should i do:
1) play to the wide forehand with a safe turn

2) play softly to the backhand and stay in the rally ?

i hope you have some tips or videos :)

have a nice day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Disclaimer: This is what I do, but there might be better stuff to do than this.

If it’s side and topspin, stand as if you want to top spin to backhand side (right foot way back) and then do a topspin. The return is going to be slow and spinny topspin to the middle.

If it’s back and sidespin, stand with legs parallel, aim for middle, and do a banana flick. The return would be slow topspin to forehand side. Get ready to return whatever comes with topspin.

If it’s almost all sidespin, either method works, but you need to adjust your angle and position, since it’ll curve into your body.

If he serve is long you can almost always chop it back behind the table with a lot of backspin, but if you’re not comfortable doing that, don’t do it.

Another tip is to take the ball at its highest point, so that you can read the spin correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
To start with I would follow #2 and keep changing the placement .. reverse pendulum has a lot of sidespin , I am suprised that they are able to sidestep and use their FH from BH side .. I am concluding ( and I may be wrong ) that the placement is too predictable . my standard return in this scenario would be to their pocket / BH and wait for BH - BH exchange ... if they are side stepping .. you could surprise them with a last minute placement to the FH side with good enough quality that they can't get to it ... surprise would be the key
Hello i have problem with a deceptive reverse pendulum service to my backhand (on the forehand side i can flip it to the wide forehand,..)

it is mostly heavy topspin, and normaly my backhand flip/chiquita can punish no spin serves or light backspin services with good speed and power, but with this service to my backhand i have trouble to aggressivly return it and when i play the return passive or to aggressive it goes mostly out or my opponent can attack the return on the backhand side with his forehand and i can't prevent him from that.

what should i do:
1) play to the wide forehand with a safe turn

2) play softly to the backhand and stay in the rally ?

i hope you have some tips or videos :)

have a nice day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think alot if your questions depends on your Playing style. It is very important to know What you are good at and how you want to play.

Like the question about halflong serve in the middle. You play forehand if you are a forehand player and backhand if you are a backhand player. If you are blocker you push long, if you are an attacker you push short.

Regarding this question it is about the same. Try to play short if you want to attack, push long if you are a blocker. If you are an backhand player you want to lock him in the backhand and should play the there. If you win in bh bh you are better than him there and should continue to play bh bh. If you Lose here you should try to play more against his forehand. If he is a backhand player you should try to play for his pocket. If he is a forehand player you should try to play for the corners so he have trouble stepping around with forehand in the backhand corner. Again it is crucial to develope a playing style