Stop the Chiquita

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Hello do you have some tips to stop my opponent from playing aggresivly against my services.

they flick every no spin and backspin service on the middle and backhand side and i am on the passive end.

against most opponents i serve a combination of no spin and backspin serves to the backhand and attack the high ball and step around and play a strong forehand, but when youngsters have a chiquita i don't have the time to play my game on my tempo and are under heavy pressure to play effective.

i hope you have some tips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well, i think what could help you is to make your serve more unpredictable and you learn to disguise the spin and also the amount of spin and also the length and speed. From short slow and spinny to fast and spinny. If your opponent doesn´t really know what´s thrown at him, he´ll have a harder time to setup his attacks.

This user has no status.
Hello do you have some tips to stop my opponent from playing aggresivly against my services.

they flick every no spin and backspin service on the middle and backhand side and i am on the passive end.

against most opponents i serve a combination of no spin and backspin serves to the backhand and attack the high ball and step around and play a strong forehand, but when youngsters have a chiquita i don't have the time to play my game on my tempo and are under heavy pressure to play effective.

i hope you have some tips.
Learn a deceptive serve which has a underspin service, a sidespin service, an overspin service.
Let them attack and do errors. The banana flicks will get reduced and you will be in position todo 3rd ball attacks.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
My former training partner (he moved away) had a stretch where we'd play and I could not give him any type of serve to his BH that he couldn't flip and it drove me crazy.

But I adapted and made adjustments. Eventually becoming the primariy focus as to why I beat him as I gave him a different serve look he couldn't decipher between back & side and on every side, he'd flip long baffled as to why that just happened.

But tatically you have options:
- Serve more to the FH side
- Focus on getting your serve lower & shorter. I don't care how spiny your serve is. If it's high, it's easy to flip.
- Work on variation and hiding your spin. In my story above, i started serving more at the middle of the table (i'm left handed) vs my back corner and changed my technique slightly.
- Develop a good long fast deep serve to surprise them. IMO most people when looking to flip have to be over the table and close to it. If you can get a fast long serve, you can jam them up which is almost certainly an error.

Lastly, learn how to counter back. It's just topspin they're sending you done from over the table. Counter that topspin right back at them.

Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
my experience is that is very difficult to Filip a low good underspin serve without any sidespin. If the serve have sidespin then it is easier. You can also try to serve short in forehand and long in backhand to prevent them from doing the flip

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Read 3 reviews
From my experience:

1) many different types of serve in terms of spin and in terms of length. I do not agree that keeping it very short is good, half long is more effective.
2) Higher toss: there is more time to think for the opponent, and for you to decide where exactly you will place the ball.
3) most important: accept that a flick will be coming. Most will do it to your backhand. Serve, and take your forehand on the backhand side to counter hard. This is the real key message. If they flick with the backhand on the forehand side, they are out of position. If you counter it, they will not be able to play a good ball. They will hesitate to continue to flick like this. For me, I always tried to avoid the flick. But now I expect it, and take one step back after the serve and counter. Easy to practice and very good results

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
An idea not yet discussed is to serve short first bounce on other side near side line with a bresk... so what if the spin loop or banana it... you block wide and it could be over right there.

Do anything to break pattern and rhythm. Overall, you need to improve servers, until then vary it as disguised as you can.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
From what I've heard, it's better to use high toss serve with heavy spin. Also, you could use sidespin to make the flick placement more predictable. For example, if you use a heavy sidespin pendulum, the flick is going to go to your backhand corner, where you can pivot and do a forehand power loop. Another solution is to serve onto their short forehand side and long backhand side.

This video would likely be useful.