backhand block or counter loop over the table ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
hello my backhand block is ok but it is not a winning stroke or puts the opponent under massive pressure. should i counter topspins from my opponent with a mini backhand counter loop or play it safe with a good block. i have trouble against youngster who attack with heavy spin and when the rally goes longer they could blast past my defense.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Try to block earlier with better placement, beyond the corners and in the pocket, but it is also good to vary the tempo as you say. It is easy to loop and kill the ball if block late with bad placement and with the same rhyme.But it is a bad idea to make a counter topspin if you can not make it safe. If you have a bad defence, either you need to practise blocking but more important work on your playing style. You want those balls you are good at. If you are bad at blocking, you want to serve short, return short and get the first loop and put them under pressure instead so you do not need to block. Good Luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
blocking from your side is just one action.
you can have different placements from your "one action", thus all these different placements would make it more difficult for your opponent to attack.

some times your block, with a bit more weight/force/energy, link with a gentle brushing action would allow you adding top spin onto the ball and the ball will accurate faster to your opponent.

Basically what I am saying is, don't just block for your opponent like you are his practice partner, you can use different kinds of return - passive blocks with placements or active blocks to counter attack him.