Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Adam's renditions are usually very faithful to the original, he often asks the players themselves what their name sounds like.

It's obvious he does this, it is the people who suspect him of not taking his job seriously that make me shake my head. I don't admire all of Adam's choices, but he is clearly a professional who takes his job far more seriously than many of us would. He is clearly learning Chinese, but people who think he is mispronouncing the names are usually people who have never asked a Chinese person exactly how to pronounce these names!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I've already heard of Anthony Quinn, but who is Liang Jing Quinn?
Did Adam make this up or is the name really pronounced this way?
[Emoji15]

By the way, I am not picking on you specifically so I apologize if it looks that way. I know people who ask why Adam is pronouncing Xu Xin as Shu Sheen or things like that. I don't know what the correct way but I will defer to the guy who hangs around Xu Xin and has likely pronounced his name for him many times to get his approval.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 5 (Sat 10 November 2018):

Men's Singles

Quarter-finals:

[1] Fan Zhendong 4:1 Koki Niwa [10] (11:8, 11:6, 8:11, 11:5, 11:9)
Liang Jingkun 4:0 Hugo Calderano [11] (11:5, 15:13, 11:4, 11:9)

Liam Pitchford 4:2 Timo Boll [3] (11:6, 11:6, 5:11, 8:11, 13:11, 12:10)
[2] Xu Xin 4:2 Tomokazu Harimoto [8] (6:11, 17:15, 11:9, 11:5, 10:12, 11:9)

Notes (from Quarter-finals):
- 4 out of 6 remaining seeds knocked out: [3] Timo Boll (Liam Pitchford), [8] Tomokazu Harimoto (Xu Xin), [10] Koki Niwa (Fan Zhendong) and [11] Hugo Calderano (Liang Jingkun).
- 0 out of 3 remaining CNT players knocked out!
- Nationalities: China (3), Japan (2), Brazil (1), England (1) and Germany (1).
- Continental: Asia (5), Europe (2) and South America (1)..

Semi-finals:

Liang Jingkun 4:2 Fan Zhendong [1] (10:12, 11:9, 6:11, 11:7, 11:8, 11:9)
[2] Xu Xin 4:0 Liam Pitchford (11:9, 11:7, 11:7, 11:6)

Women's Singles

Quarter-finals:

[1] Zhu Yuling 4:1 Doo Hoi Kem [13] (12:14, 11:6, 11:6, 11:4, 11:5)
[5] Chen Meng 4:0 Liu Shiwen [3] (14:12, 12:10, 12:10, 12:10)

He Zhuojia 4:0 Cheng I-Ching [7] (11:3, 11:5, 11:7, 11:4)
[6] Wang Manyu 4:3 Ding Ning [2] (11:5, 9:11, 2:11, 11:8, 11:6, 6:11, 11:7)

Notes (from Quarter-finals):
- 4 out of the remaining 7 seeds knocked out: [2] Ding Ning (Wang Manyu), [3] Liu Shiwen (Chen Meng), [7] Cheng I-Ching (He Zhuojia) and [13] Doo Hoi Kem (Zhu Yuling).
- 2 out of remaining 6 CNT players knocked out - by each other: Liu Shiwen (Chen Meng) and Ding Ning (Wang Manyu).
- Nationalities: China (6), Chinese Taipei (1) and Hong Kong (1).
- Continental: Asia (8).

Semi-finals:

[5] Chen Meng 4:3 Zhu Yuling [1] (11:9, 9:11, 11:8, 11:8, 8:11, 7:11, 11:6)
[6] Wang Manyu 4:1 He Zhuojia (11:5, 9:11, 11:7, 11:2, 11:8)

Mixed Doubles

Final:

Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen 3:2 Chen Chien-An/Cheng I-Ching [1] (9:11, 11:6, 11:9, 10:12, 11:5)

Final standings
:

Gold: Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen (China)
Silver: Chen Chien-An/Cheng I-Ching (Chinese Taipei) [1]
Bronze: Wong Chun Ting/Doo Hoi Kem (Hong Kong) [3]
Bronze: Jang Woojin/Cha Hyo Sim (South Korea/North Korea) [4]

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/2822/2018/2018-ittf-world-tour-austrian-open/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
It's obvious he does this, it is the people who suspect him of not taking his job seriously that make me shake my head. I don't admire all of Adam's choices, but he is clearly a professional who takes his job far more seriously than many of us would. He is clearly learning Chinese, but people who think he is mispronouncing the names are usually people who have never asked a Chinese person exactly how to pronounce these names!

Yes and that applies to names from other countries as well, not just going for the generic anglicised version as most speakers do. He's certainly more open minded than most, shame that a lot of people don't see past the theatrics (which I also mostly enjoy, as it usually comes with a good mix of spontaneity and insight).

It's the "ke" in Zhang Jike he always impresses me with, I speak as a westerner but studied Chinese for a couple of years and to me, it sounds very close to the real thing (with the exhale and open [e] sound). Someone tell me if I am completely wrong!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
By the way, I am not picking on you specifically so I apologize if it looks that way. I know people who ask why Adam is pronouncing Xu Xin as Shu Sheen or things like that. I don't know what the correct way but I will defer to the guy who hangs around Xu Xin and has likely pronounced his name for him many times to get his approval.

Nah, no worries. Thanks for pointing this out though.
I absolutely understand where you're coming from. Too often i've seen people makin stuff up like the one guy who called Liu Guoliang Lou Goodland.
Especially over here many reporters and commenters do so, and it really gets annoying, especially if you know how it's pronounced correctly. Speaking honestly actually i didn't expect Adam being one of those dudes. Hence i was a bit surprised.
So no bad feelings at all.

The thing is one of my teammates is chinese and i haven't heard him pronounce LJK that way, but he might have used our "germanstyle" pronounciation so we would know who he's talking about. But then again China is huge and has so many different dialects. Even the same name spoken in Cantonese might sound totally different in Mandarin.
[Emoji15]
Unfortunately i won't be able to see my mate before next tuesday, but i'll ask him if he purposely mispronounced to make us able to understand.
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't speak Chinese or know chinese .. but here is an easy way to figure this out ...

use this URL and click on the speaker button ... it will give you the right pronunciation ...

https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/en/梁靖昆

Nah, no worries. Thanks for pointing this out though.
I absolutely understand where you're coming from. Too often i've seen people makin stuff up like the one guy who called Liu Guoliang Lou Goodland.
Especially over here many reporters and commenters do so, and it really gets annoying, especially if you know how it's pronounced correctly. Speaking honestly actually i didn't expect Adam being one of those dudes. Hence i was a bit surprised.
So no bad feelings at all.

The thing is one of my teammates is chinese and i haven't heard him pronounce LJK that way, but he might have used our "germanstyle" pronounciation so we would know who he's talking about. But then again China is huge and has so many different dialects. Even the same name spoken in Cantonese might sound totally different in Mandarin.
[Emoji15]
Unfortunately i won't be able to see my mate before next tuesday, but i'll ask him if he purposely mispronounced to make us able to understand.
[Emoji2]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
anyone has the link of fullmatch FZD vs LJK? the one on ITTV website is only 5 minutes long (wtf), and the one on youtube has no audio (ittf pls)

Don't know if it will got shut down by ittf anytime but here it is.

BTW it seems only HT can push XX to his limit and pump his spirit up these days. Rare to see XX yell out loud in play especially vs another CNT player and usually made the Final boring in comparison. Hope it is not the case here vs LJK and not his usual nemesis FZD and both will give a good fight.