• Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Never mind ML or FZD, can any non-Chinese players stop Liang Jingkun or Liu Dingshuo? These two guys have been taking down anyone in their way left and right. Liu just beat Matsudaira and Akkuzu 4-0. XX is looking pretty unstoppable too, unless he's playing against other CNT teammates.

Reactions: FunnyBunny
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Never mind ML or FZD, can any non-Chinese players stop Liang Jingkun or Liu Dingshuo? These two guys have been taking down anyone in their way left and right. Liu just beat Matsudaira and Akkuzu 4-0. XX is looking pretty unstoppable too, unless he's playing against other CNT teammates.

Zhou Qihao is also doing pretty well. Xu Fei, WCQ, Zhou Yu, Zhou Kai are lagging behind as of now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Long time ago. I am not sure if ma long advances to final.

Just a reminder :)

494dd2f12d688e580d566fe18ad27a5f.jpg

If ML is healthy enough to play, FZD will have a hard time for sure.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
If ML is healthy enough to play, FZD will have a hard time for sure.

People are saying that FZD will start to win against ML since China Open 2016, when he won his first (and only) international match against the captain.
Two years have passed and ML won all the 5 next ITTF encounters (including WTTC 17 final and China Open 2018) and also 2017 China National Games singles final, which has great prestige (maybe the most difficult TT competition in the world).

The gap is closing fore sure, but sometimes it seems that people are underestimating ML a little bit (!!!).
[maybe "underestimating" is too strong/ not the most proper word, but I don't know how to express it better...my english is a bit limited :(]

When both are healthy and in good form, my money is still on ML.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Selected results from Day 2 (Wed 7 November 2018):

Men's Singles

Preliminary Round 3:

Hwang Minha 4:2 Simon Gauzy [2]
Liang Jingkun 4:1 Jonathan Groth [4]
Alexander Shibaev 4:3 Lim Jonghoon [8]
Niagol Stoyanov 4:3 Jeoung Youngsik [11]
Stefan Fegerl 4:3 Yuya Oshima [14]
Liu Dingshuo 4:0 Kenta Matsudaira [15]
Cedric Nuytinck 4:2 Chen Chien-An [18]
Kazuhiro Yoshimura 4:2 Kirill Gerassimenko [21]
Park Ganghyeon 4:1 Benedikt Duda [28]
Tomislav Pucar 4:2 Ovidiu Ionescu [30]
Can Akkuzu 4:1 Gustavo Tsuboi [32]

Zheng Peifeng 4:1 Yu Ziyang

Preliminary Round 4 (winners qualify for Main Draw):

[1] Patrick Franziska 4:3 Zhai Yujia, DEN
[6] Jang Woojin 4:2 Masataka Morizono [24]
[9] Liam Pitchford 4:1 Mizuki Oikiwa
[13] Maharu Yoshimura 4:1 Tomislav Pucar
[23] Jin Ueda 4:1 Alexander Shibaev
[22] Sathiyan Gnanasekaran 4:2 Jeong Sangeun [3]
[25] Lin Yun-Ju 4:2 Kristian Karlsson [10]
[26] Ricardo Walther 4:0 Stefan Fegerl
Kazuhiro Yoshimura 4:2 Ruwen Filus [12]
Zhou Qihao 4:2 Vladimir Samsonov [16]
Zheng Peifeng 4:2 Zhou Yu [27]
Liang Jingkun 4:1 Bastian Steger [31]
Liu Dingshuo 4:0 Can Akkuzu
Koyo Kanamitsu 4:1 Hwang Minha
Park Ganghyeon 4:0 Deni Kozul
Niagol Stoyanov 4:1 Cedric Nuytinck

Notes from the Qualification rounds:
- 4 of the top 16 seeded players qualified for the Main Draw
- 4 of the top 17-32 seeded players qualified for the Main Draw
- Nationalities: China and Japan (4), Germany and Korea (2), Chinese Taipei, England, India and Italy (1).
- Continents: Asia (12) and Europe (4)
- 2 out of 9 CNT players knocked out by each other: Yu Ziyang and Zhou Yu (both Zheng Peifeng).

- 3 out of 9 CNT players knocked out by internationals: Wang Chuqin (Sathiyan Gnanasekaran), Xue Fei (Chen Chien-An) and Zhou Kai (Kenta Matsudaira).

Women's Singles

Preliminary Round 2:

He Zhuojia 4:3 Li Jie, NED [1]
Maki Shiomi 4:1 Jeon Jihee [3]
Hana Matelova 4:2 Matilda Ekholm [7]
Miyuu Kihara 4:0 Adriana Diaz [25]
Linda Bergström 4:2 Polina Mikhailova [26]
Chen Ke 4:0 Sabine Winter [28]
Yana Noskova 4:3 Nina Mittelham [31]
Shiho Matsudaira 4:0 Yu Wue, USA [32]

Wu Yang 4:1 Liu Gaoyang
[13] Honoka Hashimoto 4:1 Wang Yidi
[24] Minami Ando 4:0 Zhang Qiang

Preliminary Round 3 (winners qualify for Main Draw):

[2] Elizabeta Samara 4:2 Sakura Mori
[4] Zhang Mo, CAN 4:0 Yana Noskova
[6] Chen Szu-Yu 4:3 Zhang Rui
[8] Bernadette Szocs 4:1 Shiho Matsudaira
[13] Honoka Hashimoto 4:1 Linda Bergström
[14] Hina Hayata 4:0 Han Ying, GER [17]
[15] Kim Song I 4:1 Miyuu Kihara
[18] Sun Yingsha 4:1 Saki Shibata [5]
[19] Fu Yu, POR 4:3 Maki Shiomi
[20] Miyu Nagasaki 4:1 Yumeno Soma
[23] Yu Mengyu 4:2 Yang Haeun [12]
[24] Minami Ando [24] 4:1 Hana Matelova
[27] Petrissa Solja 4:3 Lee Ho Ching [10]
Margaryta Pesotska 4:3 Ni Xia Lian, LUX [29]
He Zhuojia 4:3 Chen Ke
Wu Yang 4:1 Barbora Balazova

Notes from the Qualification rounds:
- 7 of the top 16 seeded players qualified for the Main Draw
- 6 of the top 17-32 seeded players qualified for the Main Draw
- Nationalities: Japan (4), China (3), Romania (2), Canada, Chinese Taipei, Germany, North Korea, Portugal, Singapore, Ukraine (1).
- Continents: Asia (10), Europe (5) and North Korea
- 2 out of 8 CNT players knocked out by each other: Chen Ke (He Zhuojia), Liu Gaoyang (Wu Yang),

- 3 out of 8 CNT players knocked out by internationals: Zhang Rui (Chen Szu-Yu), Wang Yidi (Honoka Hashimoto) and Zhang Qiang (Minami Ando).

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/2822/2018/2018-ittf-world-tour-austrian-open/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Ma long is over, seems like all the hard work caused too many injuries, I guess it's normal, so, better not play than allways play limited, at least for the top players.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Ma long is over, seems like all the hard work caused too many injuries, I guess it's normal, so, better not play than allways play limited, at least for the top players.

Noooooooooooooo. That cannot be. If there were, the mourning, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth would be deafening. Or at least it should be.

Boll had serious back-related injury, and got through. No doubt the likes of Saive, Waldner, Persson, Schlager, Samsonov have also been under the weather at some or other point in time, recovered, and bounced back.

Ma Long will not remain the Ma Long he was at 27. But he's near infinitely versatile, and I have nigh unlimited faith in his ability to reach new heights within the confinements of mortal men.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
So Koyo Kanamitsu is the happiest men, due to Ma Long withdrawn.

I know this is not a 100% serious comment, but a player with this kind of mentality wouldn't be an asset to the sport and likely wouldn't make it to the top.
Short of winning the tournament or at least getting close (I don't see it), can you think of anything better than confronting an all-time legend for someone who has dedicated his life to table tennis (or to any other field, for that matter)?

Also, would some people at the very least give Ma Long a chance to get his spot back? You'd think he's a vague memory from the middle ages, judging by the tone... What else did he have to do to impress?

I know I am being a bit defensive and there is a chance he didn't plan on reading this thread, but there is such a thing as respect and I think the man has earned it.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Table 2 with no sound is such an intense experience.

Jan 2018
Noooooooooooooo. That cannot be. If there were, the mourning, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth would be deafening. Or at least it should be.

Boll had serious back-related injury, and got through. No doubt the likes of Saive, Waldner, Persson, Schlager, Samsonov have also been under the weather at some or other point in time, recovered, and bounced back.

Ma Long will not remain the Ma Long he was at 27. But he's near infinitely versatile, and I have nigh unlimited faith in his ability to reach new heights within the confinements of mortal men.

Well, a big reason they could play into their 40's is because there are no newcomers. One could argue Europe is in this poignant state more or less because these players "broke the curve" and encroached on the era of the next generation or two, when already a decade past their prime. To put it bluntly, they're getting in the way.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
One could argue Europe is in this poignant state more or less because these players "broke the curve" and encroached on the era of the next generation or two, when already a decade past their prime.

Perhaps this is true. If so, I for one especially love the way these truly great players developed their style, adapted to passing their physical prime by finding new depths in other ways.

I would be similarly interested to see how a master like Ma Long matures after his physical peak. The growth curve upwards and up to the peak is not the only thing, at least not to me.

Last edited: