Asking for advice

This user has no status.
Bat for intermediate player

Hi, I'd like to have some thoughts on the new bat I'd like to buy. I'm an attacker/allround oriented player and I'm trying to transition from a beginner setup to a new one without buying something that's too fast.

FH and BH : Xiom Vega Pro
Blade : Butterfly Primorac

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
In the same range, I personally prefer the Butterfly Petr Korbel to the Primorac as I find it to be a bit faster and more flexible, but the Primorac is also an excellent blade with good control and decent speed.

For rubbers, I think Vega Pro is quite hard and lacks control for an intermediate player, but seeing as you've been using it before, maybe it's ok? Otherwise you could go with Vega Elite or Euro. Other suitable rubbers would be Tibhar FX-P, Andro Rasanter 42, Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft, Butterfly Tenergy FX's (except 25), Rozena... in the lowest or mid thickness. I think these rubbers will give you more feel and touch and still plenty power. Finally same rubber on both sides is definitely a good idea for a developing player!

Hi, I'd like to have some thoughts on the new bat I'd like to buy. I'm an attacker/allround oriented player and I'm trying to transition from a beginner setup to a new one without buying something that's too fast.

FH and BH : Xiom Vega Pro
Blade : Butterfly Primorac

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Vega pro perhaps is overkill for backhand. It's a very hard rubber in euro terms. It works well, but will probably be a bit too heavy for what it's worth and a bit too hard also. I'd suggest getting a softer rubber on backhand to begin with.

Perhaps vego euro?

This user has no status.
In the same range, I personally prefer the Butterfly Petr Korbel to the Primorac as I find it to be a bit faster and more flexible, but the Primorac is also an excellent blade with good control and decent speed.

For rubbers, I think Vega Pro is quite hard and lacks control for an intermediate player, but seeing as you've been using it before, maybe it's ok? Otherwise you could go with Vega Elite or Euro. Other suitable rubbers would be Tibhar FX-P, Andro Rasanter 42, Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft, Butterfly Tenergy FX's (except 25), Rozena... in the lowest or mid thickness. I think these rubbers will give you more feel and touch and still plenty power. Finally same rubber on both sides is definitely a good idea for a developing player!

Yeah, I saw that the Petr Korbell and the Butterfly Primorac were highly thought of by many players and I had trouble choosing between the two. I was hesitant for the Petr Korbell because I thought that it might be too fast, but you've changed my mind, I think that I'll opt for that instead of the Butterfly Primorac. As for the rubber, i think that I'll stick to the Xiom Vega Pro, because I've already used it and I like it quite a bunch.
Thanks for the advice.

This user has no status.
Vega pro perhaps is overkill for backhand. It's a very hard rubber in euro terms. It works well, but will probably be a bit too heavy for what it's worth and a bit too hard also. I'd suggest getting a softer rubber on backhand to begin with.

Perhaps vego euro?

I have a very snappy backhand, and I want to improve it, so I think that the vega europe might be a little too slow.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I have a very snappy backhand, and I want to improve it, so I think that the vega europe might be a little too slow.

Got you. If you can lift/topspin heavy backspin comfortably on both wings with Vega Pro or are getting there then stick with it. Keep in mind that you'll be getting more speed and kick from the OFF- blade than you were getting from the ALL blade you're currently using, so the setup will feel harder. For me personally, the Korbel with a 40 to 42 degree sponge hardness feels perfect. I use to like the hard feel of MX-P (47.5) but I wasn't generating nearly as much spin as I do now and my touch, short game, serves and serve receive have also improved a lot since the switch to T05FX (and FX-P).

This user has no status.
Got you. If you can lift/topspin heavy backspin comfortably on both wings with Vega Pro or are getting there then stick with it. Keep in mind that you'll be getting more speed and kick from the OFF- blade than you were getting from the ALL blade you're currently using, so the setup will feel harder.

That's also something I've thought about for quite some time and I've figured out that the only way to see what suits me best is to try it. I think that I have decided what i'll buy.
Thank you so much for the advice you've given me, it was really helpful! I'll update you when I can test the blade. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I love Vega Pro. For me, the hardness is just right - vega euro was too soft. I have not tried the primorac, but used the korbel for over a year when I started and found the shape of the wings, where the blade meets the handle, to be uncomfortable (even when sanded). I've been teaching a colleague of mine proper form and strokes, and his first rubbers were/are Vega Pro - it does not seem to have impeded him in any way and he is quickly becoming a good player (usatt rating probably around 1050, and he would be higher but he just has 0 game experience and weaker serves).

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I love Vega Pro. For me, the hardness is just right - vega euro was too soft. I have not tried the primorac, but used the korbel for over a year when I started and found the shape of the wings, where the blade meets the handle, to be uncomfortable (even when sanded). I've been teaching a colleague of mine proper form and strokes, and his first rubbers were/are Vega Pro - it does not seem to have impeded him in any way and he is quickly becoming a good player (usatt rating probably around 1050, and he would be higher but he just has 0 game experience and weaker serves).

I didn't like the wings on the Korbel JP ST so I get what you're saying, now playing with the JP FL and that fits my hand perfect, go figure! Wings aside, the feeling you get from that blade is excellent, and you can't beat the price. Personally I prefer it to other similar more expensive blades I own: Nittaku Acoustic and Violin, Stiga Azalea OFF, OSP Virtuoso... although I'd like to order a Virtuoso with a slightly larger head à la Korbel sometime.

Listening to your colleague's story, I can't help but to look back at my own when I first started playing seriously (this was back in the US, I've since moved back to France). I was taking lessons with a friend of mine (USATT 2300) and playing with hard rubbers (Rakza 7, Tenergy 05 then MX-P), developed decent strokes and my USATT rating was 1000 something after my first tournament, yet there was of course a big gap between the game displayed in my training and my game play. I stuck to hard rubbers for a few more years, training 8 hours a week, my game was improving but not as much as I'd like it to, I was still making a lot of the same mistakes in games. I largely attribute this to my lack of game experience at the time, but also to my use of hard rubbers, because while I could do many things right with them in training with exercises and set plays, when it came to game time where change of play/pace and the unexpected occur, where you meet different styles of players, have to deal with short game mixed in with quick openings, dealing with incoming spin when you're not in position... (the list goes on), hard rubbers (43 deg and up) are not at all forgiving unless you play at a high level.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Great points, thomas.pong! This is such a tricky sport to buy equipment for, since I feel the vast majority of players in the US have equipment that exceeds their level. Part of it seems to be due to the minimal price difference between GREAT beginner rubber and great rubber for advanced players, which seems to encourage "why not just spend $15 more and get some of the best" type-thinking. The other issue that I've noticed (and have to remind myself of, in order to resist the temptation to buy tenergy....again), is that around my level (USATT 1600 ish), some players produce devastating speed and spin with tenergy and it feels difficult to be competitive in that specific area of the game while using first-gen tensor rubbers.

I've traded blades with these players and produce the same effects, while their hits with my blade are slower and less spinny, which always makes me think..."what if I upgraded, would this give me the edge to get to the next level?". Then, a USATT 2100 will try my blade, and their strokes produce balls even more blistering than what was coming off my opponent's tenergy setup...reminding me that technique is EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I a with OP and Nate in that overall, Vega Pro doesn't play as hard is it may be rated on the scale.

I classify Vega Pro as one in the class of modern dynamic Offensive control rubbers.

I further agree that in many ties where I gave my bat to others to play, they loved the feel or control but were not making overwhelming spin... I use their bat on either wing I make enough spin for the to block it 6 feet out. My strokes emphasize spin production... I have a different impact than others.

The choice of equipment simply makes it easier or more controllable to do a certain thing. I frequently advocate going middle of zone for equipment that facilitates you 34 most used strokes. There are many equipments that can fit in middle of zone... too any to list.

it is never worth agonizing about it excessively.

Reactions: thomas.pong