Gamestyle adjustment - Discoordination and slow reaction while in match play

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi People! :D

I've been trying to improve my backhand some time ago, and I'm getter better with the time. Now I can loop almost consistently, can do some spinny slow loops, and loop kills fro backhand. I think I can improve much more my backhand, but I think it's already a good enough BH to use in match play.

So here comes the problem. I think I already explained this on another thread. Since I was a kid, my first coach said me I should play all forehand as I was a tall guy, plus my favourite players in that time we're Michael Maze, RSM and Chen Qi, so I tried to copy something of each player and I developed a game thats based in strong serve and third ball attack, but everytime that someone put the ball in my backhand and I didn't had time to move I ended up lobbing behind the table and trying to counter attack behind the table. But this is a high risk playstyle, that depend's too much on my physical shape in the moment, It's a bit tiring to play like this in tournaments and it has no longevity, I can't play like this when I get older, too physical demanding.

And I've been trying to introduce much more my backhand in match play, as I have enough technique and feel confident to play it. I receive great part from the services with backhand, do banana's and strawberry flicks, and better than that, I feel that's easier to stay in table. But I get too passive, from a crazy game from lobbing and strong topspins my game turns into a slow opening loops and loops on top of the table, I feel I don't have enough time to do strong loops like I did before with playing all forehand.

And also my brain worked all the time like - "it's easy, it's all forehand, just have to run everywhere the ball is and hit the ball with forehand", and now I always have the decision when the ball goes from the backhand/middle side - "Wow wait, I'll hit with BH or move and play with FH?" and with that I loose some precious time to play a good stroke and have to be more passive. So it makes me a bit slow on reaction.

And the last thing, It's truly hard to me to change from BH to FH and from FH to BH, not only because the reaction, but I get discoordinated, maybe because I always played a FH position in all the table and it's dificult to make the transition like this, and when I open the point with backhand it's also hard to change to FH because of the feet position.

So what I have to ask, in the long run, it will be a positive change? As people say when someone changes to pips out rubber "You have to endure some losses for some time before getting to know how to play with P.O. rubber?", it applies also to this? Or should I continue to play all forehand and be more effective, but stagnate? Waiting for your answer!! Thanks in advance :D

Best Regards,
Eduardo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So what I have to ask, in the long run, it will be a positive change? As people say when someone changes to pips out rubber "You have to endure some losses for some time before getting to know how to play with P.O. rubber?", it applies also to this? Or should I continue to play all forehand and be more effective, but stagnate? Waiting for your answer!! Thanks in advance :D
The short answer is try 802-40 1.8mm because it is cheap and is not a big change from inverted. I have a practice partner that switched from Mark V to 802-40 1.8mm with no problems.

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
The short answer is try 802-40 1.8mm because it is cheap and is not a big change from inverted. I have a practice partner that switched from Mark V to 802-40 1.8mm with no problems.

So you saying that maybe the solution could be use SP's in BH so I could have a shorter BH movement and could use more often BH?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it is important to have a playing style. It is important to base the game around what you are good at. If you have better Forehand, you should try to play forehand as much as possible. I think you could try to develop your backhand in practice and practice games, in real games you want to win and therfore want to use what you are best at.

I dont think you need to do strong loops with backhand. You can play fast with backhand with good placement and when you get an easier ball, end it with forehand. Regarding taking forehand in the backhand side, i think maybe when you think " this is an easy ball" then you have the time to play forehand and you should do that, otherwise play backhand and wait for better opportunities.

Regarding backhand transition. Try these things:
Less forehand feet. No time for that in todays play. You will beccome faster with the same feet position.
Look at the oppponent. You will gain more time and will see where the ball is going.
try to have the elbow infront of you. More infront of you=faster transition
Always hit the ball infront of you and try to have the racket in the middle when you end the shot.

I also think you need to ask yourself if you want to be good now or in the future. If you want to win now, you want to become as good as you can at what you are good at now and with your current technique. and if you want to be become better for the future it might be worth developing your technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Or should I continue to play all forehand and be more effective, but stagnate?

I think here you have your answer, personally i don't see the point to just stagnate ? Also it will be fun to learn new patterns etc.. But maybe in the end line, it is about which style give you more fun to play with ?

But I get too passive, from a crazy game from lobbing and strong topspins my game turns into a slow opening loops and loops on top of the table, I feel I don't have enough time to do strong loops like I did before with playing all forehand.
Also you say it is more passive but is it really so ? Because it looks a bit like you were playing a very fast/rushed game with a lot of FH. Now you get more time to play your shot so maybe it you feel like it's even a bit 'lazy' compared to your old style ? But for you opponent maybe it is not so easy as you still have your agressive FH on the FH side and a lot of variation on your BH side

And the last thing, It's truly hard to me to change from BH to FH and from FH to BH, not only because the reaction, but I get discoordinated, maybe because I always played a FH position in all the table and it's dificult to make the transition like this, and when I open the point with backhand it's also hard to change to FH because of the feet position.

Here a video from ben larcombe about rotating the forearm between FH and BH in order to be completely in a good position with the arm : https://www.experttabletennis.com/speed-up-backhand-forehand-switch/
Maybe it can be useful ?

Also personally i use to not come back in neutral position after my shot (i stay with my forearm in BH position after a BH, and in FH position after a FH). When i focus on going back to neutral, it is way better and i can take the correct shot. Because when the ball go to the FH and i'm in a BH position, i tend to 'bug' and hesitate on what to do. Maybe it is same for you ?

Just to conclude, personally i think it is a good choice to develop your bh here and it's just a matter to train on this transition and footwork. When it'll be better, i think it's possible the 'hesitation' won't be as pronounced

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
It's very difficult to change our playstyle, even more so if you say you don't train as much as before. You can pratice that but if it's not consolidated enough you will revert to your natural instincts when in a pressure situation. To make a change that big you would have to take a break from competition to establish new patterns. You can still improve your backhand, but it will take some time before it's fully implemented in your game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I have been trying to decide whether I want to play more FH or BH oriented game for the long time. The current solution is opponent-dependent. If I feel that against the particular opponent I can play all forehand, I go for it. But if I can't, I will play more backhands. It is often clear very early in the match: if I can step around to attack the 3rd ball or the serve comfortably, then it is all-forehand time. If the opponent stretches me out, now it is backhand time.

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I think it is important to have a playing style. It is important to base the game around what you are good at. If you have better Forehand, you should try to play forehand as much as possible. I think you could try to develop your backhand in practice and practice games, in real games you want to win and therfore want to use what you are best at.

I dont think you need to do strong loops with backhand. You can play fast with backhand with good placement and when you get an easier ball, end it with forehand. Regarding taking forehand in the backhand side, i think maybe when you think " this is an easy ball" then you have the time to play forehand and you should do that, otherwise play backhand and wait for better opportunities.

Regarding backhand transition. Try these things:
Less forehand feet. No time for that in todays play. You will beccome faster with the same feet position.
Look at the oppponent. You will gain more time and will see where the ball is going.
try to have the elbow infront of you. More infront of you=faster transition
Always hit the ball infront of you and try to have the racket in the middle when you end the shot.

I also think you need to ask yourself if you want to be good now or in the future. If you want to win now, you want to become as good as you can at what you are good at now and with your current technique. and if you want to be become better for the future it might be worth developing your technique.

Yeah, I would like to change my playstyle. I could play mainly forehand oriented game, but I would like to have a solid backhand that could let me play closer to the table and give more safety to my game, even if for now I just can block close to the table consistently without fall behind the table(like WLQ style for example). I would like to win now, but also I would like to think in my future, and go to a safer playstyle, mainly because I don't wan't to retire when I get 30's eheh :p And also I wan't to play also on a good level when I get older. Thank you for your advice! ;)

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I think here you have your answer, personally i don't see the point to just stagnate ? Also it will be fun to learn new patterns etc.. But maybe in the end line, it is about which style give you more fun to play with ?

I would like to have fun while playing of course, but I would like to improve always what I could. I would like to play mainly forehand, but I would like to play more offensive, and close to the table with also a solid backhand to use it every time I need it ;)

Also you say it is more passive but is it really so ? Because it looks a bit like you were playing a very fast/rushed game with a lot of FH. Now you get more time to play your shot so maybe it you feel like it's even a bit 'lazy' compared to your old style ? But for you opponent maybe it is not so easy as you still have your agressive FH on the FH side and a lot of variation on your BH side

I have my aggressive forehand but I can't use it because my BH to FH transition lacks efficiency and I can't get so offensive like I could :/

Here a video from ben larcombe about rotating the forearm between FH and BH in order to be completely in a good position with the arm : https://www.experttabletennis.com/speed-up-backhand-forehand-switch/
Maybe it can be useful ?

Such a useful article!!!! Thank you so much! :D

Also personally i use to not come back in neutral position after my shot (i stay with my forearm in BH position after a BH, and in FH position after a FH). When i focus on going back to neutral, it is way better and i can take the correct shot. Because when the ball go to the FH and i'm in a BH position, i tend to 'bug' and hesitate on what to do. Maybe it is same for you ?

Just to conclude, personally i think it is a good choice to develop your bh here and it's just a matter to train on this transition and footwork. When it'll be better, i think it's possible the 'hesitation' won't be as pronounced

Yep, it's the same, plus my mindset since I play has been "always use FH", so I think I'm a bit behind you :p Yeah! I have a good physical shape, I do exercise every day and practice footwork three times a week! Thank you once again and also good luck on your improvements! :D

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
2 things:
1. Practice situational points using your backhand and also the combinations.
2. Force yourself to apply it in a match and not be afraid of losing points

Thank you for your advice! ;) I've been practicing this some time ago!! :D I think that point 2 it's one of the most difficult and important! It's easier to me to play BH in the start of the game and then the afraid of loosing comes if I lose first set!

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
It's very difficult to change our playstyle, even more so if you say you don't train as much as before. You can pratice that but if it's not consolidated enough you will revert to your natural instincts when in a pressure situation. To make a change that big you would have to take a break from competition to establish new patterns. You can still improve your backhand, but it will take some time before it's fully implemented in your game.

Yeah I know that :/ In the future I hope I can practice more, I want to buy a robot and besides my club practice I can also do extra practice every day! Yeah I understand that about revert to my all FH game in a pressure situation, but I think it's psychological, I have to work on that, and I'll play much more relaxed when I don't worry about loosing, it will be good even after a playstyle change! I prefer to improve that rather than take a break from competition, it would be a trully difficult task to me eheh :p Thank you for your advice!! ;)

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I have been trying to decide whether I want to play more FH or BH oriented game for the long time. The current solution is opponent-dependent. If I feel that against the particular opponent I can play all forehand, I go for it. But if I can't, I will play more backhands. It is often clear very early in the match: if I can step around to attack the 3rd ball or the serve comfortably, then it is all-forehand time. If the opponent stretches me out, now it is backhand time.

Yeah I understant you, it happens totally equal with me. I had games that I've been forced to play with BH, but I get in disadvantage and unconfortable every time that I play to someone that forces me to do it, as I can't put much pressure with BH, normally they are more "strategical" players. And then some others that are more "physical" players, play more offensively and without thinking so much in tactics, let me play more with my FH, and normally I have more fun to play with these kind of players. But I wan't to close that gap and play good with every kind of player! Thank you for the advice ;)

This user has no status.
I think you would benefit from spending time developing your backhand in practice, but playing according to the strategy that makes you the best player you can be in matches. As your backhand gets stronger, you'll be able to adjust your match strategy and take advantage of your new weapon you've added to your arsenal. In the short term you can take advantage of your youth and your health to play a forehand oriented style. Do you have access to a club and/or training partners where you can do multiball practice?

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I think you would benefit from spending time developing your backhand in practice, but playing according to the strategy that makes you the best player you can be in matches. As your backhand gets stronger, you'll be able to adjust your match strategy and take advantage of your new weapon you've added to your arsenal. In the short term you can take advantage of your youth and your health to play a forehand oriented style. Do you have access to a club and/or training partners where you can do multiball practice?
Thank you for your advice! ;) I had last two years from a chinese coach and he helped me very much to improve my forehand technique! But not anymore so now I need to buy a robot, I know it's not the same but well, it's the most close to multiball that I can get :/

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

This is a baffling matter. Opponents typically are intimidated somewhat by my FH after warming up or having seen me play a teammate; but while the opponents stubbornly try to prevent me from playing a single FH whatsoever, it's actually the pressure from my BH (consistency, placement, spin and pace) that gets me the points. If I were playing me, I'd probe that FH quite a bit more. That FH finishes the points with power and placement every now and then, but these winners are hit with less consistency than the constant pressure the BH exerts.

This user has no status.
Thank you for your advice! ;) I had last two years from a chinese coach and he helped me very much to improve my forehand technique! But not anymore so now I need to buy a robot, I know it's not the same but well, it's the most close to multiball that I can get :/

Do you play in a league or do you play in a club? If you play in a club you can ask your playing partners if they can block for you while you work on developing a backhand loop. If you're in a league that might be a little more difficult unless you can get there early enough to do an extended warmup and work on your backhand. If neither of those options are a possibility you can get 4-5 balls at home and work on looping a ball without a table. USDCarl and NextLevel have some pretty good drills that helped me with my loops even though I didn't have access to a table.

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Returnboards works okay too. It would be interesting to see a video of your matchplay. That would make it easier to give good advice

Could be a good and cheaper idea, I didn't have any experience with a returnboard before! Well I would like to record, if possible I'll do it this week! ;)

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
This is a baffling matter. Opponents typically are intimidated somewhat by my FH after warming up or having seen me play a teammate; but while the opponents stubbornly try to prevent me from playing a single FH whatsoever, it's actually the pressure from my BH (consistency, placement, spin and pace) that gets me the points. If I were playing me, I'd probe that FH quite a bit more. That FH finishes the points with power and placement every now and then, but these winners are hit with less consistency than the constant pressure the BH exerts.

Yeah in the leagues that I play I'm already know for only use FH, and players can "nullify" my game because my weaknesses are clear to every one, make me move, and always put pressure on my backhand!