Ball Impact Marks on Son's Bat

This user has no status.
EBat.jpg
I noticed the impact marks on the backhand rubber of my son's bat, they're literally exclusively in the red area, he doesn't serve backhanded so these are all from ordinary shots... is this normal ? Is it to do with his finger position ? Is he doing something wrong ? Or am I just over-analyzing this ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
That is just from the balls. I think it is normal! Try taking some water and dust it off. It is good that he hits the ball at the same place of the rubber :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't see it as an issue
if he just blocks (passive blocking), then balls could be in a wider location - inconsistent if the level is not high enough
also, if he was to chop to the ball (push), then the location will also be different than a block or top spin from the black rubber

I don't see that as a big issue to be honest.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I agree with Tony. I just think he is better at playing forehand compared to backhand and that is the reason the ball marks are more spread out on the backhand rubber.

Tony is right about eventual unconsistancy, but here I see a pattern consistancy.
I would say that these marks are of flicking bananas. Persistently trying to play paralel may leave such marks too.
If not that, than some other analyzes have to be done. The sweetspot is always preferable and even a player has some specialty some marks on it should occur.

Reactions: thomas.pong
I have seen jun mizutani's tenergy and the eroded part is just about 2-3 square inches but again he is a pro. The more you develop your contact and brush, the more accurate the surface area and smaller it gets

The Pro is a Pro, but even a Pro sometimes hits with the edge and you can see this several times in a match, wich means some hits out of the usual area are also done. So the erosian patern will depend on how long the rubber has been used. I have some bats with very old rubbers, about year and a half, eroded all through the surface, but the 2-4 months rubbers are only sweet spot eroded.

This user has no status.
Impact assessment is often used in golf but never seen it in table tennis. Would be interesting what these marks suggest from a technique standpoint. He's hitting it high on the rubber, which is good for looping presumably but quite a lot near the edges which is presumably not so good.

Anyone seen a pro rubber with those marks and what it looks like?

Nobody said that pros do not hit the sides. If you read the context clearly it talks about the area consistent of being in contact with the ball that is why it erodes but does not mean that they do not hit any other part of the racket.

The Pro is a Pro, but even a Pro sometimes hits with the edge and you can see this several times in a match, wich means some hits out of the usual area are also done. So the erosian patern will depend on how long the rubber has been used. I have some bats with very old rubbers, about year and a half, eroded all through the surface, but the 2-4 months rubbers are only sweet spot eroded.

This user has no status.
It's like a bell curve scatter. The density will be in the sweet spot with some at the edges. A pro will presumably hit much less at the edges. This looks like quite a uniform splatter pattern but if it is used for a long time the density would saturate in all areas. What's interesting is he barely hits it in the middle of the rubber even by mistake.

Probably you need to let him practice looping the ball at late timing or when the ball goes down so that he will brush the area more. Also, why not let him do ball bouncing on the racket? Maybe you can be creative and cut a 3x4 square inch rubber and he would practice bouncing the ball on that area only.