Measuring net height correctly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
I got a small dilemma with regards to measuring net height. Usually you do want to have the net as tight as possible and with the correct height. I find this impossible to achieve if you measure both at the net posts and then in the middle, there will always be a small difference?

I usually measure with a simple plastic scale, both at the ends and in the middle. However, at Youth Olympic Games 2018 I noticed that the umpire measured just in the middle, but used a heavier metal scale, that possibly can press the net down a bit? Maybe this is the way to go?

IMHO, I will rather have a tighter net and a small height difference than some slack. A less tight net leads to some really strange net touches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
When you see them measuring in the middle (with the heavy metall thingy), they are not measuring the height of the net; they are measuring how tense the net is.
Maybe, but how do you set up the net with both the correct height and tension then?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Think I found it :) You use both a plastic gauge to measure net height around 30cm from the net posts, and a metal 100g gauge with a 142.5mm notch in the middle to adjust tension. Found the information in Technical Leaflet T5: The Net Gauge: https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2018/05/T5_Net_Gauge_BoD2014.pdf

And in addition you also have the Technical Leaflet T2: The Net Assembly. In this one it is said to measure the net height in three places (30cm from the posts, and in the middle, to be precise. On page 7: https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2018/07/T2_The_net_assembly_2015_v2.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin
An ittf umpire showed me how. The tension is adjusted after you hang plastic measuring device in the middle and then you measure or adjust the height. Side parts are also measured for the height.

Last edited: