Penhold handle out of a shakehand blade ,is it possible?

This user has no status.
Hi guys ,help me set my friend straight , my playing buddy showed up with a pen hold blade , and when i asked him ,he told me he cut the handle of a spare blade(shake hand blade)he had and that he wanted to try this type of grip ,i told him it wouldn't play the same as an "original"pen hold ,but i didn't have facts to back my theory up ,so am i wrong and he's right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
penholder here.

I mean the handle on a penhold blade will be thicker slightly and they generally have slightly enlarged heads so the feeling won't be exactly the same.

Having said that, i could say "the feeling wont be exactly the same when comparing any two penhold blades."

I think it's fine for your friend in testing it out. Don't think he had to go as far as cutting the handle as he just basically lost any resale value there. But oh well.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
As long as he feels comfortable, it is fine

Sep 2016
I myself won,t do that, I think the balance won,t be the same, and it will be a bit heavy for penhold

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
penholder here.

I mean the handle on a penhold blade will be thicker slightly and they generally have slightly enlarged heads so the feeling won't be exactly the same.

Having said that, i could say "the feeling wont be exactly the same when comparing any two penhold blades."

I think it's fine for your friend in testing it out. Don't think he had to go as far as cutting the handle as he just basically lost any resale value there. But oh well.

like shakehand handle, penhold also have many types of handle,
so it is not always as per your definition on the handle shape/size

for OP
you are right
the blades are carefully put together for balance
removing part of the handle will cause for unbalance
on the note on size, the penhold blade head is of a different shape to shakehand to "balance" it up

I guess for fooling around, anything is fine
but to answer OP's question, surely something has been affected

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys ,help me set my friend straight , my playing buddy showed up with a pen hold blade , and when i asked him ,he told me he cut the handle of a spare blade(shake hand blade)he had and that he wanted to try this type of grip ,i told him it wouldn't play the same as an "original"pen hold ,but i didn't have facts to back my theory up ,so am i wrong and he's right?

I bought a Butterfly Primorac ST and cut the handle down to penhold size, sanded the wings and feels comfortable. There's no issue with comfort as long as you sand it down.

The head of SH blades is usually shorter and narrower than the head of penhold blades. That means the center of gravity of your modified penhold blade will be closer to the handle. To me it feels great as I don't like head-heavy setup.

This user has no status.
I actually did something very similar. Here is a butterfly primorac with the handle slightly cut down and sanded. I then sanded a couple of mm of the sides of the head to create a more penhold style shape. As you can see it's a pretty light setup and has been fun to mess around with.

IMG_1354.jpg

*Edit. Also for reference, I stuck an old sheet of Xiom Vega Euro on the backhand side.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I am very sorry for the potentially stupid question (as I am not familiar enough with penhold gameplay), but couldn't he just try using penhold grip without cutting the end of the SH handle?

Yep, he can do that quite easily, especially if it is a straight handle. A bit of sanding and he will be able to get a pretty decent idea about penhold play.
I have done this back in the day and it was not a disaster.
If he wants he can even cut the handle if he wants it to also look closer to a penhold blade. The head will be a bit smaller than typical Cpen blades but it will still be quite playable.